Interior/Audio/Visual Electronics Discuss your audio/visual system and your interior here.

Retuned PCM?

Search this Thread

Old 07-15-2007, 07:54 PM

Fallen to the Dark Side - Resident Ford Man
5 Year Member
3 Year Member1 Year Member
Default Retuned PCM?

I would like a little insight on these DHP Tuend PCM's. I'm considering one, but I worry about where they get these PCM's that they reprogram. Mainly if they are the "quirky" PCM's that Chevrolet had and gave them. I've got a K&N Drop In filter and a Dynomax cat-back system. Could somebody give me some advice and how well these PCM's hold up?

Old 07-15-2007, 09:05 PM
Default RE: Retuned PCM?

It all depends on how you look at it Cowboy. I personally dont like the idea of sending my PCM anywhere. Honestly Id rather spend the extra coin and get a portable powertuner, or something like HP tuners.

Downtime is one of those things.

Im not too keen on having my car offline while the PCM goes through the postal service, expecially canada post, as they arent reliable.

Id also preffer a system that I can tweak with in case there is a problem. Some programs alow you to pull the factory .bin files off and back them up in case everything goes to hell. I was looking at having my Pcm tuned at MGS, as they have an on-site dyno but the problem is that if you want to have the tune installed you either have to bring your car there, or send your PCM. So for every little change you make, you have to retune. Say you want to run only 91 octane, and you need that specific program, roadtrip. If everything goes to hell in a handbasket, you will have downtime in some shape or form.

Say you are like me and have the 3.5L. Just for example. Lets just say I have the car tuned for maximum perfomance at 87 octane. And by the grace of god a supercharger comes my way.. NowI have to either send my PCM out, retune it, install my super charger, possibly send it back for refinement..

With other options, I just plug in my computer, sit in the car, reflash. and Go. Winter somes and I want to adjust the fuel tables for the colder air. Boom reflash, change no problem..

Just my two cents.

Old 07-16-2007, 01:41 AM

Alright, here is my personal opinion on a PCM.

If you only plan on small upgrades, and really don't want to do more than what you have now, you can find a company (intense-racing.com, for instance, or 3800performance.com) tell them your specifications, have them reflash your pcm, or have them send you one of theirs, to maximize your car's performance on those upgrades. The good thing about this, is that these pcms typically come off of totalled cars, or direct from a supplier. So the chances of you getting a bad PCM is nil, because they test them all before they mail them out. Believe me, the lawsuit involved if a pcm were to go bad and ruin a car is too risky for ANYONE in this business to send out bad ones.

Anyways, the second option, which I much prefer over any other method, is to buy your own programmer. Here is a cost breakdown:

Reprogrammed PCM one time: 99.99

If you would like to REFLASH a pcm, you are looking at another 50-100 bucks each time.

So, in 3 reprograms and one original pcm flash, you are up to around 300-400 bucks.

The alternative?

http://www.wbodystore.com/grandprix/...tuner-p-8.html

Buy your own!!

You can do so many things with this scanner / reprogrammer. And the best part is, you dont have to continually send in your pcm or get one of theirs. Say, for instance, you take your car to an empty parking lot, and turn on your DHP Powrtuner. You make a pass, and want to change your transmission shift points. BOOM, done. Right then and there, you can modify your pcm while sitting there, and within 230 seconds or so, your entire pcm is reflashed, with YOUR specifications.

A great deal, IMHO

All you need is a cheap laptop to go with that, with enough battery power to sit in your car for about an hour while you tinker with ur new toy.

-Keegan

Old 07-16-2007, 07:24 PM

5 Year Member

Yes... I should have mentioned I do not have a laptop So what should I do now.

Old 07-16-2007, 07:28 PM

5 Year Member

Oh, and I'm not going to just send my PCM off and let my car sit in the driveway useless. I was going to buy the one from 3800performance and just keep my core for an added $125 (2003 model). I don't particularly plan to do any more major refinements to my car, I already have the K&N filter, and if I get a ram air hood I may just go ahead with getting that functional SLP Cold Air Intake for it. MAYBE a larger throttle body. The one from 3800 performance is already tuned for a cold air intake and the catback system i already have, plus I already run on Amoco Ultimate.

Old 07-17-2007, 10:41 AM

Well, the DHP PowrTuner will work on a regular computer, except then you would have to run an insanely long cable to your car from your desktop, or relocate your desktop for a program session, but then you can't use it WHILE driving, only program, and then go test it out.

If that is all you are planning on, then I would go with 3800's deal. It seems like you have a general idea as to what you are looking for, so I would stick with that plan.

Old 07-17-2007, 10:49 AM

I also forgot to mention, that going to a larger throttle body, such as the northstar upgrade to 69mm will NEED you to reprogram your PCM. The pcm regulates the air/fuel mixture, and too lean, you'll be barely accelerating, too rich, and you'll need a LOAN to keep your car in gas. So plan on at least one more reprogram if you plan on going with that upgrade.

I personally think that getting your new pcm would be just fine, and having it reprogrammed later IF you go with the northstar.

-Keegan

Old 08-03-2007, 02:32 PM

I would avoid 3800performance on this one from a personal experiance. It took a month to get my PCM and another 3 weeks to get my deposit back. The PCM needed to go out to be flashed, shipped back to 3800 and then shipped to me.

I would either get the programmer or order one from zzperformance who has them in stock.

I'd swap ya mine for a few bucks, but I have the 04 Supercharged.

Old 08-04-2007, 10:26 PM

the core charge for PCMs is $100....so you can get the program for $420 or you can get a reprogrammed PCM for $200 and keep your old one just in case. if you have the extra $220......get the program.