Interior/Audio/Visual Electronics Discuss your audio/visual system and your interior here.

Replacing all speakers, need some advice

Search this Thread

Old 11-11-2012, 10:59 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member3 Year Member1 Year Member
Default Replacing all speakers, need some advice

Ok so i wanted to add subs but i dont want to lose the space in the trunk so im looking to get 4 new speakers. This will be running off the stock HU. Car is a 2000 Monte Carlo ss, it has the factory amp in the trunk. Wondering what sizes are the speakers and what brand would be best for a ton of bass but good quality sound aswell. I was thinking JBL, i heard them in a dodge charger and it sounded like he had subs but sound was so crisp! Thanks guys!

Old 11-11-2012, 11:09 AM
Monte Of The Month -- August 2012

Brand name is going to be personal preference. The main thing you want to look for are 2 ohm speakers with high sensitivity. They will respond best with your stock HU/Amp. I replaced the rear deck 6x9 speakers in my '03 with Infinity 3 way speakers and they sound fantastic! I'm going to replace the door speakers with the matching 6.5" speakers.

Old 11-11-2012, 11:09 AM

Originally Posted by Lorenzo
Ok so i wanted to add subs but i dont want to lose the space in the trunk !

Hi `Lorenzo,
I don't want you to lose space in your trunk either LOL
Several member's have already tried to lock me in their trunks.
======================================
I like JBL Speakers, but check back on your thread the next couple of days & see what our expert audio tech member's suggest....We have some great member's that have a lot of knowledge on building super sound systems & know the best product for the $'s...

Good Luck on getting the sounds that you desire

Old 11-11-2012, 11:55 AM
10 Year Member

ok so 2 ohm with High sensitivity, what if i wanted to replace the stock amp? What would be the best bet, im trying to stay away from adding an aftermarket headunit. THanks guys !

Old 11-11-2012, 01:55 PM
Location: Garfield, New Jersey. But my Home will always be The Bronx
Default Good Luck! Great Sounds!

Most amps have Pre-Amp inputs. Some amps have a Line Input which you can take the speaker wires from your h/u, butt connect them to the harness that comes with the amp, plug it in and you're good to go. The speakers you buy should have a Wattage rating higher than the Amp or h/u. You don't want you're amp or your head unit to overdrive and blow your speakers. That way you can use almost all of the range of the amp without distortion.
Eventually if not sooner, you are going to want to replace your h/u. I say start with the head unit, then speakers and amp together. So you can match them. Replacing the head unit will give you greater control of your sound. Plus options such as Aux, USB and SD Card inputs. HD and Sirus. Besides, your h/u makes the system. I prefer Sony and Pioneer cause of the displays and ease of access to the controls. But you have to choose according to your taste! Good Luck! Great Sounds! ;-)

Old 11-11-2012, 03:45 PM

ok so 2 ohm with High sensitivity, what if i wanted to replace the stock amp? What would be the best bet, im trying to stay away from adding an aftermarket headunit. THanks guys !
whats your budget? than i can help you better. also your concept, you desire sound but seem hesident to spend. you need to decide what your willing to spend and what you want in your end result before you can ask people to help you blindly guess gear you might like. brand is prefernce, of course this goes so far their truley are "betteR" brands but we're talking about 700$ amps and 400$ drivers.

Old 11-11-2012, 05:49 PM
10 Year Member

Well i just would like to know right speaker sizes and if its possible to replace the amp in the trunk with one that would work better with aftermarket speakers. Im not looking for the top of line stuff. Im looking maybe to spend 100 for the rear and 100 for the front. Just want clean hard bass and clarity aswell. Does this make any sense lmao :p

Old 11-11-2012, 06:53 PM
Location: Garfield, New Jersey. But my Home will always be The Bronx
Default First Step:

Go to: Wal-Mart, Big K, Best Buy PepBoys and the like. They all have a Car Audio section. You can mix and match different speakers, amps and head units to see what they sound like and get an idea of cost. You can go to Crutchfield.com. They have good variety and their prices are reasonable. Down side is you can't listen to them online! Then go to a couple of your local "Car Stereo Shops". Upside: someone is right there to answer questions. They can tell you What fits in your Monte. They will install the still for you. (Installation Fee)!
This will put you in a better position to set a budget and got the sound you desire! Have Fun! ;-)

Old 11-12-2012, 06:03 PM

Well i just would like to know right speaker sizes and if its possible to replace the amp in the trunk with one that would work better with aftermarket speakers. Im not looking for the top of line stuff. Im looking maybe to spend 100 for the rear and 100 for the front. Just want clean hard bass and clarity aswell. Does this make any sense lmao :p
I picked out some nice parts in the price range your in, and honestly it'll make for a very good system. bit pricy, i probobly woudln't use these 6x9 but i wanted to keep it int he brand for you to give you an idea.

Focal 165 A1 6.5" 2-way Access 1 Component Car Speakers (165A1)

New Soundstream REF4 400 400W 4 Channel Reference Series Power Amplifier 709483032774 | eBay

Focal 690 CA1 SG 6x9" 2 Way Access 1 Series 6"x9" Car Speakers System 3544053750606 | eBay

sub stage ------

Soundstream Reference REF1 500 Monoblock Car Amplifier | eBay

Image Dynamics IDQ10 V.3 D4 (IDQ10-V3D4) 10" Dual 4 ohm IDQ V.3 Sub

you can build a box pretty easy, that sub probobly wants something like 1.3cubic feet - 2.5 cubic feet sealed , most likley the ladder.

these prices add up. those amps would be VEYR good, best in their class. personly right now some of the best bang for the buck. another good bang for buck are MB quart onyx amps, which we're tlaking half the price of the Reference amps.

so you go form 970$ total, to much less

http://www.sonicelectronix.com/item_...-ONX4.125.html

http://www.sonicelectronix.com/item_...t-FX1.400.html

http://www.sonicelectronix.com/item_...I-V-104ii.html

i'd keep those fronts in any setup, theire nice. but anything in that 130-150 price range comp 6 1\2 will sound roughly the same with dif pros and cons for each of course, some basy, some bright, some hot, some dull. the focals can be a bit on the brighter side but not as bright as an infiniti speaker which is a common switch out speaker for this car for its cheap price and 2 ohm rating.

the second setup comes out around 600$. a much more affordable budget, im pretty bad at picking parts in anything really below a 600$ budget.

Last edited by walkingonabullet; 11-12-2012 at 06:14 PM.
Old 11-12-2012, 07:35 PM
10 Year Member

Wow thanks for that reasearch man! I really appreciate it. Well im looking to stay away from subs and just upgrade all the speakers. If i wanted to replace the amp is it as simple as taking the old one out and placing a new one in the spot?

Quick Reply: Replacing all speakers, need some advice