Interior/Audio/Visual Electronics Discuss your audio/visual system and your interior here.

Redoing my interior-a few questions

Search this Thread

Old 10-23-2010, 12:47 PM
Default Redoing my interior-a few questions

First, I am sorry if this has been addressed in other areas, I tried looking through some old threads and didn't see my specific questions. I am a newbie at this and am really excited to be updating my interior. I just need some advice, if anyone knows the answers.

Anyways, I have a 2004 Monte Carlo. Everything in it is factory as of right now. In the next 2 weeks, I want to start the process to do some updating.

1. I have called and got a general price range to lay new carpet and reupholster my seats. My question is, how hard is it to change the door panels and dash colors? I have a black and tan interior. Would it be hard to make the tan parts purple to match my new exterior paint job? Everything is the plastic pieces, so not sure what my options would be for that and if it would make it really expensive? Or is there anyway to do any of that kind of work myself? I am willing to do the work, if it is possible.

2. How hard is it to switch steering wheels? I would really love a more racing style steering wheel, but with the airbag in mine, how big of a pain in the rear is it? Would I automatically lose my cruise control options by doing this, as well? Sorry if this is a stupid question.

3. Has anyone or how much work is it to mod the center console piece? I wouldn't mind ripping it out, but not sure how much that would cost or if it is worth it? I would like to put a different arm rest and recover the shifter. Not sure the cost involved.

Last edited by cheri; 10-23-2010 at 12:54 PM.
Old 10-25-2010, 03:16 AM

Monte Of The Month -- March 2013
5 Year Member3 Year Member1 Year Member

They do make plastic paints. Prep would be key to make sure it don't just flake off. If you are a little daring you could upholster the door panels with some soft touch vinyl material and some spray adhesive. same thing with the dash. I'm sure there are plenty of how tos on you tube. As for the center console There are only a few screws holding it in so removing it is not a problem. You may want to consider covering this with paint, vinyl or some other material to make if flow with your design better.

Grant steering wheels makes Aftermarket airbag wheels not sure if the make them for everything but heres a link http://www.grantproducts.com/

Last edited by lougreen03; 10-25-2010 at 03:19 AM. Reason: Steering wheels.