Interior/Audio/Visual Electronics Discuss your audio/visual system and your interior here.

Guage faces

Search this Thread

Old 10-30-2010, 04:04 PM
3 Year Member
Default Guage faces

I have been looking at some guage face overlays. Dont want the speedhut style that you have to wire in to power. I would like some that actually replace the original face instead of just an overlay. I hear from a lot of people that overlays dont allow that much light to shine through so thats why i would like to just map a new one on the cluster if that possible. If not can anyone reccomend a good overlay.

Old 10-30-2010, 04:19 PM

I am a USSpeedo dealer and offer their line of overlays (with or without installation)

Here are the various overlays:

http://www.bbengineer.com/cars/impal...e.htm#Overlays

You can see some pictures of factory and aftermarket overlays with/without LEDs on my site here:

http://www.bbengineer.com/cars/impal...terGallery.htm

BBEngineer

Old 10-30-2010, 05:48 PM
3 Year Member

can you swap a base cluster for the full cluster? Is it direct plug and play? Am considering getting the full cluster if all the guages will work without modification. These overlays are quite pricey.

Old 10-30-2010, 11:38 PM
Monte Of The Month -- September 2010
10 Year Member
5 Year Member3 Year Member1 Year Member

Originally Posted by novagenesis300
can you swap a base cluster for the full cluster? Is it direct plug and play? Am considering getting the full cluster if all the guages will work without modification. These overlays are quite pricey.
are you talking about just swapping the LS out with the SS one? im curious too but i don't think it can be transferred

Old 10-31-2010, 07:37 AM

You can swap the 6 gauge NA cluster into the LS, but the oil pressure gauge doesn't work with the 3.4L motor

You also need to have the correct mileage programmed into the new cluster so it matches what you have on the car

Beyond that, it's plug & play... no extra wiring or anything else needed

BBEngineer

PS: Those overlays are the same quality as the factory overlays, so as usual, you get what you pay for

Old 10-31-2010, 12:37 PM
Monte Of The Month -- September 2010
10 Year Member
5 Year Member3 Year Member1 Year Member

Originally Posted by bbengineer
You can swap the 6 gauge NA cluster into the LS, but the oil pressure gauge doesn't work with the 3.4L motor

You also need to have the correct mileage programmed into the new cluster so it matches what you have on the car

Beyond that, it's plug & play... no extra wiring or anything else needed

BBEngineer

PS: Those overlays are the same quality as the factory overlays, so as usual, you get what you pay for
what would it take to make oil pressure work? and would the spedometer still be right

Old 10-31-2010, 01:49 PM
3 Year Member

I did a swap on my chevy beretta for the full cluster and it was plug and play. However the oil gauge would either be full on or off because the stock cluster had an oil light. To correct this I had to purchase an oil sending unit that was made for the gauge instead of the light. Not sure if thats the case on the monte's, but I cant imagine what else would prevent it from working.

Old 10-31-2010, 04:12 PM

The Monte doesn't work that way... the PCM reads the sender and sends the info to the cluster via OBDII...

Since the 3.4L doesn't have a pressure sender, it always sends 0 even if you replace the oil switch with a pressure sender..

The only way I have seen to get the oil gauge to work is to 'frankenstein' the cluster by grafting an analog oil gauge in.. see here:

http://impalahq.naioa.com/HowTo/MCSSCluster.html

Also, dealers can't typically program the mileage into the cluster and GM doesn't give them the equipment to do so... I do offer the mileage programming service

BBEngineer

Old 11-01-2010, 02:23 PM

I did the swap and modified my cluster so I have a working OP gauge. It's well worth it!