Interior/Audio/Visual Electronics Discuss your audio/visual system and your interior here.

Re-wrapping Leather Steering Wheel for 00-05

Search this Thread

Old 09-04-2023, 06:56 PM

Monte Of The Month -- December 2011
Monte Of The Month -- September 2014
10 Year Member
5 Year Member3 Year Member1 Year Member
Default Re-wrapping Leather Steering Wheel for 00-05

When I bought the Black Monte, @ChibiBlackSheep started the idea of a black/red interior by getting a WheelSkin cover from PartsForYourCar. And he did an awesome job installing it, PFYC used a pic of his car on the product page.

I decided to see if I could go a little further and re-wrap a junk yard steering wheel in red leather. I know NOTHING about working with leather, I watched a couple YouTube videos of more complex projects and just decided, what the heck and go for it! First, some supplies!
  • I bought half a hide (I could NOT buy less) from https://leatherhidestore.com/. First, I ordered a sample. It was somewhere in the neighborhood of $5 after shipping. When it arrived, they sent me a total of 5 different samples! I am really glad they did! The red I thought would be what matches the 2000 Monte Pace Car was not right. In one of the other samples, I had a winner (both in the color and the grain). Made my order. One of the pics shows the half-hide (after I cut some pieces) spread on the queen bed in my spare room.
  • I bought a cheap leather kit from Amazon. As well as a huge roll of black waxed thread.
  • I bought two different leather glues from Amazon, Duall's and Aleene's Tack-It Over and Over.
    • I set up some test samples of both glues. That Tack-It amazes me, works EXACTLY as advertised! It stays tacky, even weeks later just sitting out in the open!
I had a junk yard wheel with nice foam grips, tore the leather off (just cut the stitching at one end and used a pick to pull it out of the seams). Looks like GM used a contact cement like that Duall's on the original leather. I used that Tack-It and only used the Duall's on the leather wrapping the spoke. Using an old cereal box, I made a cardboard template. Figured out the holes and everything. Used masking tape on the leather to transfer the template to the red leather. The cheap Amazon kit came with a knife, I recommend getting a REAL Exacto knife. Cut the template, measure and pre-punch all the holes. Back side, found it worth while to put a center line, mark front back and the start of the stitching. After that, put that Tack-It glue down (use a piece of cardboard to spread it in a thin layer, I did NOT go edge-to-edge, no need to cover where the holes are with glue).

After that, cut a generous amount of thread, I HIGHLY recommend more than you think you will need, don't be stingy on thread. Stick the leather down, start stitching. I used a baseball stitch, which is what GM used.

I admit, the bottom leather I did that on the first try and 100% happy. The top piece had a couple of issues, so I tore it off and re-did it from a new cut. I also understand why this service can cost so much. It is VERY detail oriented and takes time. But, I am 100% happy. I will admit, the leather has a non-smooth texture when I finished. I suspect some of it is my use of glue, did not let the leather flex like it naturally would. The glue GM used did not go down the center, only the sides, but I also suspect that glue did not set/cure until after the stitching was done (thus letting the leather move more naturally). I think if I did it again, I would focus that Tack-It maybe in the center inch of the leather so the sides can free float. But there is still a chance the same results might happen.

Again, I am thrilled! This wheel looks BRAND NEW and the leather feels GREAT! I have some comparison shots of the old wheel with the WheelSkin vs the new wheel.

Old 09-04-2023, 07:50 PM

I really think you trying new touches are pretty cool. It makes your car stand out from the others with the small details. I know the shifter was the first attempt and can't wait to see the steering wheel when I come back through the area. 😎

Old 09-06-2023, 02:38 PM

Monte Of The Month -- December 2011
Monte Of The Month -- September 2014
10 Year Member
5 Year Member3 Year Member1 Year Member

Thanks Jeff! This was actually a fun project. I am so happy how it turned out. I need to get back to spending some time on that shifter again. These are definitely details that make a difference. Even though this steering wheel was an easier project, I also understand a bit more of what is involved in the cost for a professional to do this work (you are paying for materials and more importantly their skills).