Interior/Audio/Visual Electronics Discuss your audio/visual system and your interior here.

Please Help :/

Search this Thread

Old 08-01-2011, 12:04 AM
Unhappy Please Help :/

Hi everyone,
I'm new to the forum and I haven't had the chance to really set up my page, but I have a 2002 LS. I've been trying to do some upgrades, nothing crazy, but one of them happens to be the audio system. I know that this is a very common thread topic, but I still haven't been able to find my answers completely...
My issue is that I am on a strict budget(dirt cheap unfortunately). I already bought Alpine components for the front, and I'm going to get new 6x9s and a new deck. Here's where my issue starts... I need to be able to install a new deck and retain the stock features as cheaply as possible, and I need to bypass the stock amp and use the new head unit to power the speakers(my speakers are 4 Ohms, and the stock amp is rated at 2ohms, plus it has that roll off feature...). I have heard about deck relocation kits and the adapters that do not require the factory deck, but I don't know which one would be better. I'd rather save the $80 for the adapter if possible without cutting and splicing factory wires. And then how would I bypass my amp?

Sorry for joining and immediately asking a question without becoming more familiar with everyone in the forum. I plan on becoming an active member in the near future once I get a few small issues settled and get everything set for college.

Thanks in advance for any replies.

Old 08-01-2011, 10:22 PM

Originally Posted by akprice44
I need to be able to install a new deck and retain the stock features as cheaply as possible
You could potentially look into a Line Out Converter and keep your stock stereo. No offense, but if you're going to be skimping on all of your aftermarket gear, it's likely that the factory equipment may be better. Are your speakers blown/cracked? You can easily replace them and see how they sound on your factory stereo and amp...I'm pretty sure that the 4 ohm speakers will not matter on the 2 ohm amp from what other members have said?

Also, are you aware that without your factory radio, it makes resetting the oil light, tire pressure lights, reprogramming key fobs, and more much much more difficult?

Just my input,
Zach

Old 08-02-2011, 12:43 AM

Well, I'm planing on having an alpine deck and alpine 6x9s that match my components. I want to use the alpine to power my speakers because the stock amp won't cut it for me. It has the roll off feature which auto levels your output going to the speakers so that you can't really blow the stock speakers. Plus, when you have a 4 ohm speaker on a 2 ohm channel, you are doubling the intended resistance which will cause you to loose volume and cause the signal itself to distort, which would damage the speakers over time. I'm having a hard time finding information on the deck relocation harnesses. I know that I can buy an adaptor that allows me to retain all of the features that the stock radio controls, and reset them manually using the light **** and the brake I believe? But I'd rather have the stock radio relocated in my trunk and control the oil and tire pressure using that.

Old 08-02-2011, 12:44 AM

Thanks for the input though

Old 08-02-2011, 08:01 AM

Monte Of The Month -- August 2014
15 Year Member
10 Year Member5 Year Member3 Year Member1 Year Member

You can reset your oil warning lights and your tire pressure lights without the factory radio.

Old 08-02-2011, 03:24 PM

Originally Posted by ChibiBlackSheep
You can reset your oil warning lights and your tire pressure lights without the factory radio.
I was pretty certain that a thread on here discussed the difficulty of it? How does one go about this (just wondering)?

Old 08-02-2011, 03:33 PM

Monte Of The Month -- August 2014
15 Year Member
10 Year Member5 Year Member3 Year Member1 Year Member

Turn the car to on without starting it.

Fully depress the gas pedal and back 3 times in 5 seconds for the oil.

Pull the light switch out to parking and back in 3 times in 5 seconds for the tires.

Old 08-02-2011, 08:05 PM

Originally Posted by Furder2010
No offense, but if you're going to be skimping on all of your aftermarket gear, it's likely that the factory equipment may be better....I'm pretty sure that the 4 ohm speakers will not matter on the 2 ohm amp from what other members have said?

Also, are you aware that without your factory radio, it makes resetting the oil light, tire pressure lights, reprogramming key fobs, and more much much more difficult?
Not necessarily true. My buddy just put a system together for stupid cheap.

Pioneer deck $25
Powerbass components $50
JBL 4ch amp $75
Sundown 1500D $175
Pioneer Champion series 12's (4) $85ea

Grand total $665

Just my subs and sub amp costed more than that and this dude built his whole system for that much and it bangs way harder than mine. It's all about being patient and shopping around. If you want all your stuff like yesterday then yes it'll be a little difficult, but he tooks his time and picked things up as they became available until he had everything he needed.

4ohm speakers running on the factory amp rated at 2 ohms will make a noticeable difference on overall volume since the amp won't be putting out as much power at 4ohms as it would at 2, but the sound quality would improve for sure.

Are you aware that resetting those lights is as easy as pressing the gas pedal a few times in succession or pulling out the headlight switch a few times in succession? Not anywhere near difficult. True though, he won't be able to change any settings (how long the lights stay on, if the horn beeps when keyless entry is used, etc.) without the factory deck and he won't be able to reprogram his own fobs...but then again, does anyone really go in there and change settings more than once? I bought my car over 5yrs ago and I've only made changes to those settings one time. As far as reprogramming the fob, you always have the choice of plugging in the factory deck when the time comes so you can do it.

Just saying...

Originally Posted by akprice44
I need to be able to install a new deck and bypass the stock amp. I have heard about deck relocation kits and the adapters that do not require the factory deck, but I don't know which one would be better. I'd rather save the $80 for the adapter if possible without cutting and splicing factory wires. And then how would I bypass my amp?
Better huh? Both solutions would accomplish the task, it just depends on what you want to do and why. A deck relocation harness is like $50. If you get the relocation harness, it doesn't have a plug for the amp harness so it would just remain unplugged and IIRC that plug simply connects the speakers to the factory amp. My buddy SQ Monte did a pretty detailed write up HERE I don't recall if he touched on the relocation harness but as detailed as that write up is I wouldn't doubt it...i'm just not gonna go through 14 pages of thread to find it for you:p

Last edited by Milhouse; 08-02-2011 at 08:26 PM.
Old 08-02-2011, 10:51 PM

I guess I was just completely wrong...I try to retain as much info as I can over the months as I read threads on here, but I obviously misunderstood. It's a good thing you guys are here to straighten things out!