Interior/Audio/Visual Electronics Discuss your audio/visual system and your interior here.

New speakers all around. Ran into some trouble need help please

Old 07-30-2011, 12:19 AM
Question New speakers all around. Ran into some trouble need help please

Hey guys, Just got new speakers all around for my 87 SS. I put in my sony head unit that pumps 50 rms x 4. Has USB support and thats all i need haha. Now for my problems/questions. I have an amp thats pushing my two subs in the trunk already wired and such. My rear speakers are 75 watts RMS and my new fronts are 30 rms. My headunit puts out 50x4 rms. I have another 2 channel amp that pushes 65 watts rms. My questions are should i hook up the second amp to power my rear speakers? or is the extra 15 watts not worth the hassle? and if i should hook it up, do i splice the power from my subwoofer amp to it?

my rear speakers are kenwoods and ill post pics of those soon. my fronts are infinity reference 3032cf speakers. They have a capacitor on them, but also they have 2 seperate ones that came in the box and the boxed instructions don't include them what so ever. Does any one know what these are? and how do i identify the positive and negative terminals on the reference speakers? bass blockers maybe? but if so then what is the capacitor on the speaker than? thanks guys.

Attached Thumbnails New speakers all around. Ran into some trouble need help please-img_2113.jpg   New speakers all around. Ran into some trouble need help please-img_2114.jpg  
Old 07-30-2011, 01:34 AM

That deck is only pushing 18-20 a channel. The 4x50 is not per channel.

Old 07-30-2011, 01:40 AM

So what's the suggestion? Install my second amp to power the rears? And if so would splicing the wire with the sub amp be sufficient? I'm still left with the questions about the front speakers how to identify the positive and negative terminal and what the small capacitor is on the speaker and what the two big ones that came in the box are. Thanks.

Old 07-30-2011, 01:43 AM

Front need no power whatsoever. Since they are only 30 RMS I would recommend letting them run of the deck for power. The rear 6x9's could definitely use the 2-channel amp. What guage wiring do you have for power? Depends on what you have for power RMS to the subs too before you splice off of it. I'm not sure what you mean by capacitor on the speakers?

Old 07-30-2011, 02:01 AM

I have 2 12" kicker CVX's and I believe they rms 750 a piece but I don't have an amp big enough for that yet so I run a kenwood bridged at 600 watts. My power cable is an 8 or a 6 I think. It was In the car already. I'm going to update it soon regardless to 4 or 2 gauge I think. But for the capacitor if you look at the two pictures I uploaded you'll notice one of the terminals has a small capacitor on it. They also came with these two large ones in q bag as well in the box. I'm more mechanical then electrical when it comes to cars. Thank you.

Old 07-30-2011, 04:25 PM

Originally Posted by Emnasty600 View Post
Hey guys, Just got new speakers all around for my 87 SS. I put in my sony head unit that pumps 50 rms x 4. Now for my problems/questions. I have an amp thats pushing my two subs in the trunk already wired and such. My rear speakers are 75 watts RMS and my new fronts are 30 rms. My headunit puts out 50x4 rms. I have another 2 channel amp that pushes 65 watts rms. My questions are should i hook up the second amp to power my rear speakers? or is the extra 15 watts not worth the hassle? and if i should hook it up, do i splice the power from my subwoofer amp to it?
Yes, hook up the second amp. Reason is because the power rating for your deck is the max rating, it really does in the neighborhood of 15-25rms per channel. You're gonna notice a big difference by hooking up that amp, if it does 65rms x 2 @ 4ohms.

No, never power an amp from another amp. Get a distribution block and run the existing power wire to the distro, then run separate wires from the distro to each amp. Same for the remote wire, although a distribution block won't be needed for that.

Originally Posted by Emnasty600 View Post
My fronts are infinity reference 3032cf speakers. They have a capacitor on them, but also they have 2 seperate ones that came in the box and the boxed instructions don't include them what so ever. Does any one know what these are? and how do i identify the positive and negative terminals on the reference speakers? bass blockers maybe? but if so then what is the capacitor on the speaker than? thanks guys.
Yes, those speakers are coax so that capacitor is needed to ensure the mid doesn't play below a certain frequency, aka bass blocker. Caps are normally placed inline on the positive terminal, and the positive terminals are usually larger than the negative.

Originally Posted by NovaSS369 View Post
That deck is only pushing 18-20 a channel. The 4x50 is not per channel.
It is per channel, hence the 4 in 4x50. Since the deck built to run 4 speakers, front left and right, rear left and right, that's what the 4 represents. The 50 represents the max power each channel could get, which means nothing. Just like good amps advertise rms, I wish the deck makers would do the same thing, but I guess 50x4 is more impressive than 25x4 to most people.

Originally Posted by NovaSS369 View Post
Front need no power whatsoever.
The fronts do need power, that's why they have a wattage rating on them.

Old 07-30-2011, 05:57 PM

Okay thanks for the fix. What I meant was they don't need an amplifier because the stock deck will be enough power for that set.

Old 07-30-2011, 06:54 PM

I concur, especially since they're only 25rms

Old 07-30-2011, 06:56 PM

Alright thank alot guys. Now I have another couple of questions. I'm assuming the built in bass blocker is for the tweeter and the capacitors in the box are bass blockers for the mid range speaker and that should go to the same terminal the existing bass blocker is on? As for wire, I plan on getting 4 gauge to the distro block then should I be running 4 gauge to each amp or 8 gauge to each? And the ground on either amp should be 4 or 8 gauge if that's the case?

Old 07-30-2011, 06:57 PM

Word.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: New speakers all around. Ran into some trouble need help please

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

© 2019 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands

We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.