General Monte Carlo Talk Talk about the Monte Carlo. Does not have to be your Monte. Can include pics and games.

Caved in Headlight on 87?? Help please, Please look. pics inside.

Search this Thread

Old 07-06-2011, 08:20 PM
Unhappy Caved in Headlight on 87?? Help please, Please look. pics inside.

Hey guys, as im getting closer and closer to finishing up the final touches on the monte, I have to align the headlights. My passenger side headlights are about 3 inches behind where they are supposed to be. here are the pictures. please help. Its not the little adjustment screws because i fooled around with that and they move about 1/2 inch to the left and right or 1/2 up and down.

This one is normal

This is the passenger one with a problem

pictures with the lights on

Old 07-06-2011, 10:23 PM

Monte Of The Month -- March 2013
5 Year Member3 Year Member1 Year Member

Looks like there back a little bit far. Is the core support bent out of shape or maybe just misaligned.

Old 07-06-2011, 10:26 PM

i know stock, those are suppose to sit a bit off like i believe your drivers side. But the passenger i believe it is, is back a bunch. could be just a bent bumper guard or soemthing

Old 07-07-2011, 07:07 AM

Your headlight adjuster bolts could ne the wrong ones,that's kinda doubtful.id check the core support for hidden damage first.also these montes have a plastic spacer/bushing that clips to the core support between the support and headlight bucket make sure they are installed.and it is possible that that the headlight bucket is damaged or the wrong one for you car.hope that helps.

Old 07-07-2011, 08:12 AM

How do I go about removing the bucket or just taking it out to take a look? Does this whole nose need to be removed?

Old 07-07-2011, 04:38 PM

xxxx . I just looked again and realized something. The two pieces of sheet metal on either side of the radiator, the driver side is strait and the passenger side is bent. Doesn't look like it was hit but it looks like someone purposely bent it to get the bracket into place. Looks like tomorrow morning I'm taking off the entire nose. To have full access. Good news? The bucket is in good shape and isn't warped. Either that or somehow just the top left corner he drove into something and he fixed it himself. How hard of a job is it to take the nose off? It looks like there's two bolts on the top on either side, 2 mounting brackets attached to the fenders, push pins along the bottom, and 1 bolt at the bottom attaching it to the fender extensions. I already disconnected and removed the lights. Anything else? How hard of a job to take off the nose and put it back on? I was hoping maybe 3-4 hour job total?

Old 07-07-2011, 10:33 PM

Any advice on taking just the nose plastic off much appreciated. Doing the job early tomorrow morning. Thanks.

Old 07-07-2011, 11:07 PM
Monte Of The Month -- September 2012
Monte Of The Month -- February 2016
10 Year Member
5 Year Member3 Year Member1 Year Member

take your time, i think there is a bolt up in the corner of the headlight area top outside corner of headlight are,on each side atleast there is on my ls,

Old 07-08-2011, 07:50 AM

alright guys, woke up at 7 am, cleaned out the garage and moved the monte in. Taking a coffee break right now and gonna start the dissassembly of the nose. I'll try to take pictures as I go and upload them. I'll edit them and highlight what I did and hopefully you guys can use it as a guide if anyone has the same problem. So I identified the problem like i said, it seem as the side support on the radiator is a little bent in. I'm going to remove the headlights, hazards, remove just the nose and work from there. I'll upload within a few hours, maybe alot of hours who knows haha I'll keep you guys posted. Is there a how to section on this site i can upload the guide to? thanks.

Old 07-08-2011, 11:21 AM

Originally Posted by Emnasty600
alright guys, woke up at 7 am, cleaned out the garage and moved the monte in. Taking a coffee break right now and gonna start the dissassembly of the nose. I'll try to take pictures as I go and upload them. I'll edit them and highlight what I did and hopefully you guys can use it as a guide if anyone has the same problem. So I identified the problem like i said, it seem as the side support on the radiator is a little bent in. I'm going to remove the headlights, hazards, remove just the nose and work from there. I'll upload within a few hours, maybe alot of hours who knows haha I'll keep you guys posted. Is there a how to section on this site i can upload the guide to? thanks.
I have done it many times on both my 86 and my sons 87.
Remove the plastic clips along the bottom, there are brackets and screws along both sided up inside the fenders, and the plastic clips along the top engine compartment.
Pivot the bottom out, then lift straight up.
Being a rubberized assembly, it twists and bends easily. So take care as to not let it twist to the point of possibly cracking the paint.

Quick Reply: Caved in Headlight on 87?? Help please, Please look. pics inside.