Interior/Audio/Visual Electronics Discuss your audio/visual system and your interior here.

6th Gen ('00-'05): Passlock System, Ahhhh!

Search this Thread

Old 10-27-2013, 10:22 AM
Monte Of The Month -- May 2014
5 Year Member
3 Year Member1 Year Member

True, the cars we see with this problem are more than 5 years old. But I have not nor could not get an accurate survey. But I did come across a couple of newer Tahoes, Malibus and Impalas experiencing this. So I have to assume it has not been addressed.
As for me, if I can figure out how to get a resistance out of my key, mine will be bypassed. I am not very trusting of mechanics I don't know. Even with reference from people I know. And I will never trust dealer Service. When I told the Chevy Service guy my car was bringing up Cadillac codes for a V8, he told me that, being a GM product my car could bring up any codes on the GM books.Yeah and 2 mice can give birth to a whale?
Although this particular failure pisses me off to no end, I am still a Chevy car lover! And will continue to perches GM products and get pissed off at GM faults. It's the nature of the beast and I am an Animal Lover!

Old 10-27-2013, 11:08 AM
Monte Of The Month -- January 2014
1 Year Member

Originally Posted by JC Colon`
True, the cars we see with this problem are more than 5 years old. But I have not nor could not get an accurate survey. But I did come across a couple of newer Tahoes, Malibus and Impalas experiencing this. So I have to assume it has not been addressed.
As for me, if I can figure out how to get a resistance out of my key, mine will be bypassed. I am not very trusting of mechanics I don't know. Even with reference from people I know. And I will never trust dealer Service. When I told the Chevy Service guy my car was bringing up Cadillac codes for a V8, he told me that, being a GM product my car could bring up any codes on the GM books.Yeah and 2 mice can give birth to a whale?
Although this particular failure pisses me off to no end, I am still a Chevy car lover! And will continue to perches GM products and get pissed off at GM faults. It's the nature of the beast and I am an Animal Lover!
I agree with you JC, I will buy another GM car just based on how easy this engine is to work on. Worked on fords, hondas, mazdas, saturns, nissan, and acuras and none of them left me smiling at. When I was done with the work. But red always does!

Old 10-27-2013, 02:44 PM

Monte Of The Month -- December 2011
Monte Of The Month -- September 2014
10 Year Member
5 Year Member3 Year Member1 Year Member

Glad to hear you'll stay a Chevy fan JC. I'm a GM fan myself, but I'm far from a GM loyalist/purist. ALL car makers have their problems. GM is not alone.

As for your security issue, I hope you can get it solved. Best of luck.

BTW, _ have access to the 2002 GM Shop Book data.... According to it, you key has zero electronics in it. Here's the info from that page:

Replacing Keys
The ignition lock cylinder and keys do not contain any coded electronic components. The lock cylinder housing contains the coded electronic components. Changing an ignition lock cylinder or replacing a key is a purely mechanical process which does not affect the vehicle theft deterrent system. To replace an existing key, simply cut a new key to match the existing one. If no keys are available, the lock cylinder must be changed. To change the lock cylinder, simply replace the existing lock cylinder with one of the same type.

Old 10-27-2013, 02:55 PM
5 Year Member

Jason, were you a Dealer Mechanic in a past life? I don't mean to Toot your horn, but you seem to have a lot more Good answers than the average Shade Tree guy!
Thanks for the info! Know I know that I can Override the Passlock system and the key doesn't matter. And Thanks to the above article, I know what to do to fix the female connectors on the Passlock harness. YelloJAC will have a long and pleasing life with me!

Old 10-27-2013, 04:39 PM

Monte Of The Month -- December 2011
Monte Of The Month -- September 2014
10 Year Member
5 Year Member3 Year Member1 Year Member

LOL, no, sorry, never was a "professional" mechanic. It helps to have the hook up on the shop books. Plus, I've been around the GM 3100/3400/3800 L36 for a LONG time (can't tell you how many I've worked on to help friends and family).

Funniest part about me.... I've been and still am a "computer geek". If you were to talk to me when I was 16, I had ZERO interest in wrenching on cars.... I blame the person I am today on my '84 Camaro (still in the garage in pieces). It may not look like it today, but THAT is my baby!! I blame the rest of this on having friends big into working on cars (some of it rubbed off) and the last of it, well, hanging out on car forums lol!

But thanks for the compliment. I try to do what I can.

Old 10-08-2014, 07:11 PM
5 Year Member
Default Update!

So the Security Relearn no longer works. Do the thirty minute proceedure, nothing! Car stuck at the job. So i took the dash apert. Found that the after mart alarm installer, who ever that was, did a Rush job, pulling back insellation and just wrapped the new wire around the OE wires. So now I have to go thru all those wires. About 15! It will be an all day job Saturday.
And still no garrenty the pass lock will work. I also found several bolts missing under the dash.
Fun, Fun, Fun?
Does anyone have a REAL Color code for the wires from the ignition switch to the BCM? There is no Black wire to the gumption switch. Also which connector, and pin outs, do they go to on the BCM side?
Thanks guys, I should have listened to you all last Oct. When you told me to check the wiring under there!