Interior/Audio/Visual Electronics Discuss your audio/visual system and your interior here.

6th Gen ('00-'05): Passlock System, Ahhhh!

Search this Thread

Old 10-26-2013, 03:54 PM
Monte Of The Month -- May 2014
5 Year Member
3 Year Member1 Year Member
Default Passlock System, Ahhhh!

So my car was working fine yesterday. The security light has been coming on after I been driving for a while. And in the last 3 week I've had to do the relearn at least 4 times. The car was working yesterday. Today replace an axle. Went to start the car, no crack, no fuel pump. So I did the relearn again. The security light will not turn of. I've done the relearn 5 times now. If I don't have my car I can'tget to work!
The work I did, replacing a bad axle, has nothing g to do with the security system. This really sucks. And the GM PARTS COUNTER IS CLOSED. I need this car to work or I am Screwed. The dang light keeps on flashing at me! If this car was alive I would Kill it right now. I am in Temp static at work So if I don't go, I don't get paid! I need this car to work!

Old 10-26-2013, 04:18 PM

Have you tried disconnecting the battery for about 15 minutes, re-connecting it and trying to start or re-learn the system. May not help but worth a try. Just doesnt make since if it was working fine but now isnt.

Old 10-26-2013, 05:33 PM

Monte Of The Month -- December 2011
Monte Of The Month -- September 2014
10 Year Member
5 Year Member3 Year Member1 Year Member

It's odd you have to keep doing the relearn. Typically that is done for functions, such as changing a PCM. I know you just did a lot of repairs to the wiring on the PCM, I wonder if there is more damaged wiring or perhaps a failing ignition switch (which is responsible for some of the security system).

Knowing the history of bad splicing, my first guess to try.... That the lower dash apart on the car and see if there is damaged wiring. Perhaps the previous owner did something goofy....

Old 10-26-2013, 06:04 PM
Monte Of The Month -- May 2012
Monte Of The Year 2012
Monte Of The Month -- February 2017
15 Year Member
10 Year Member5 Year Member3 Year Member1 Year Member

Perhaps it's the Body Control Module. I had a very similiar issue with the passlock, ended up replacing the BCM.

Old 10-26-2013, 06:35 PM
5 Year Member
Default Axle and Security Update!

I got it to work. GM should have come up with another system to secure the cars. At least half is not more of us here on MCF have had problems with this system. Yet they say there is nothing wrong with it and it is normal wear and tear. MY EYE! it's another way for them to get $$$ out of our pockets and into their vacation in France funds.
Anyways, she's running. And hopefully now that I replaced the axle and she rides smooth, the security system will Stay Off!

Old 10-26-2013, 08:01 PM
Monte Of The Month -- January 2014
1 Year Member

Originally Posted by JC Colon`
I got it to work. GM should have come up with another system to secure the cars. At least half is not more of us here on MCF have had problems with this system. Yet they say there is nothing wrong with it and it is normal wear and tear. MY EYE! it's another way for them to get $$$ out of our pockets and into their vacation in France funds.
Anyways, she's running. And hopefully now that I replaced the axle and she rides smooth, the security system will Stay Off!
There is a way to bypass it in a pinch (need to car tomorw, parts stor is closed got some resistors laying around. It involves using some resistors to bypass the security part in the ignition cylinder. Theirs a wirte up on here somewhere. If mine ever goes out I'm disabaling it and buying a viper alarm. Also dont you have a remote start in your car jc? Its a wonder that your pass lock even works. (Maybe its not you but I thought it was)

Old 10-26-2013, 09:03 PM
5 Year Member

Hi David,
I know how to bypass the pass key system. Piece of cake for folks like you and I with a Thousand years of Electronics in our background. Problem is both my keys were tested. Niether of them have a register or chip in them. There are a few other members, who are the original owners who have no register in their keys either.
Plus, I think mine has a problem with the BCM. I start the car, no security light. I drive for a good distance hit a bump. Then, Security Light. Shut the car off, go away for 8 hours, come back, start the car, no security light. Drive a mile, Security Light. It's wires, and I like others are pissed at GM for doing this to us! But I'm still keeping the car. The manager of my Pepboys compliment me today. He can't believe I brought the car back from Ready to Die, to where it is today. Smooth running, riding like almost new. I haven't come this far to give my Baby up. But Dang!

"Help me, I'm a Monte Carlo Lover and I Won't Give it up!"

Old 10-26-2013, 10:52 PM
Monte Of The Month -- January 2014
1 Year Member

Originally Posted by JC Colon`
Hi David,
I know how to bypass the pass key system. Piece of cake for folks like you and I with a Thousand years of Electronics in our background. Problem is both my keys were tested. Niether of them have a register or chip in them. There are a few other members, who are the original owners who have no register in their keys either.
Plus, I think mine has a problem with the BCM. I start the car, no security light. I drive for a good distance hit a bump. Then, Security Light. Shut the car off, go away for 8 hours, come back, start the car, no security light. Drive a mile, Security Light. It's wires, and I like others are pissed at GM for doing this to us! But I'm still keeping the car. The manager of my Pepboys compliment me today. He can't believe I brought the car back from Ready to Die, to where it is today. Smooth running, riding like almost new. I haven't come this far to give my Baby up. But Dang!

"Help me, I'm a Monte Carlo Lover and I Won't Give it up!"
JC youv probably doing wiring longer than Iv been alive. I'm a young guy but grew up wiring with my dad and now electornics arw in my job description. Just a thought could you completely take the pass lock out of the system? Just disable. That might be nice. I'm lucky to as of yet not have had an issue with it. (Knock on wood)

Old 10-27-2013, 08:05 AM
5 Year Member
Default update, Exactly Why the passlock system Fails

I found this letter to GM regarding an engineers finding after a detailed troubleshooting of the GM Passbook System; Follow the link below

General Motors - GM PassLock II System has major inherent design flaws!

Unfortunately, until enough of us, Thousands, get together against GM to Permanently Solve this problem, we the consumers will either continue to bypass the system or pay the Stealership you to $500 to replace a sensor that isn't actually Bad!

Old 10-27-2013, 09:07 AM

Monte Of The Month -- December 2011
Monte Of The Month -- September 2014
10 Year Member
5 Year Member3 Year Member1 Year Member

Since I have yet to have a problem with the security system in my cars, I have not researched this (so I am ignorant to how bad off the issues are). The issues I see as far as having GM fix it are these:
- right now we are talking '00-'05 Montes (and Impalas). I'm sure in that age range, there are countless other GM models with this issue. On average, how old were these cars when the problem first developed? If we are talking they pushed close to 10 years in age, it may have been harder to notice as a wide spread problem to the dealers. Again, hypothetically speaking.
- Going back to the age, if the first of these cars did not begin to exhibit these problems until they were 5 years or older, since the '00-'05 Monte was a 5 year run, they could not update things from an assembly line perspective.
- Do we know if GM cars still have these problems in modern cars? Perhaps they have updated their process.

I cannot see them offering a recall on this, but maybe an extended warranty situation (like they did on early 6th gen Monte catalytic converters).

Trust me, I've seen some common GM issues and some I found were easy to avoid and I felt sad they ever existed. Such as the '93-'98 N-Body (Grand Am), the only reason the heater cores failed was the factory ones had plastic inlet and outlet tubes, they got brittle and cracked over time. Aftermarket replacements, all metal. BUT when mine blew on my '94 Grand Am, GM designed it to allow coolant to flood out the condensation drain (so the interior of the car never got soaked). And you only had to yank out the center console to change it. Not too bad.

Now, regardless, that article you found I think offers some great info and hopefully info you can use to put this problem to bed on your car!!!

Quick Reply: 6th Gen ('00-'05): Passlock System, Ahhhh!