Off Topic A place to kick back and discuss non-Monte Carlo related subjects. Just about anything goes.

Interested in your Opinion on Dog Ear Cropping, Tail Docking, Neutering?

Search this Thread

Old 11-02-2007, 01:34 PM
Default Interested in your Opinion on Dog Ear Cropping, Tail Docking, Neutering?

So Two months ago We got Doberman puppy. I have had dogs before but never a Dobe.
As you all might know Dobe's get their ears cropped and their tails docked. When I gothim his tail was docked when he was 2 days old. So I had no choice in that.
I got his ears cropped at a month and a half. I am not going to neuter him.
At the dog park where I walk him I have been geting a lot of flak from some dog owners for cropping his ears and not wanting to neuter him. Well yeah it took him whole 2 hours to start acting normal after the anastesia wore out. His ears were sore for 2 days and then he was back to normal.
My previous dog after being neutered it took a month to recover, I am not putting my dog through that ever again!!!
FYI ear cropping and tail docking are illegal in California(Duh), Most of western Europe, Including Germany where the breed originated from except they call it a Dobermann over there.
I paid top dollar for the best ear crop vet in the Tri state area acording to the Doberman Pinscher Club of America. As ear croping is an elective in Vet School so very few vets actually do it, and fewer are good at it. And any hack vet can chop your puppy family jewels off.
Cropping and docking is an elective for a home pet, and it is recomended for a working guard dog since improves directional hearing, and the intruder or an animal can grab/bite on the floppy ear or long tail. I just like the cropped dockedlook. He will not be a working guard dog, but he is my guard dog.
So flame on....................Not LOL
What is your opinion on Cropping/Docking/Neutering?

Old 11-02-2007, 02:48 PM
Default RE: Interested in your Opinion on Dog Ear Cropping, Tail Docking, Neutering?

[align=center][/align][align=center]Ruff/Ruff, I don't think it's right.[/align][align=center]How would you like it to be done to you ?[/align][align=center]I think `not : )[/align][align=center][/align][align=center]I know there are reasons that pet owner's do `it,[/align][align=center]but I don't think it's natural.[/align][align=center]If it's for health reasons, then that's another story.[/align][align=center][/align][align=center]If my owner did it to me, I'd scream, & bite that sucker [/align][align=center]every chance I got [:@][/align][align=center][/align][align=center]Dogs are suppose to be Man's best Friend,[/align][align=center]I sure don't want you as a Friend `if you done that 2 me : )[/align][align=center][/align][align=center][/align][align=center]I guess I would chew up everything important to you,[/align][align=center]and also your Monte Carlo.[/align][align=center]and then, I'd run away.....[/align][align=center][/align][align=center]MCF Members, don't ever say that you don't see some[/align][align=center]`way different post subjectson the MCF.[/align][align=center][/align][align=center]Remember what SpaceBob says:[/align][align=center]"Help control the Human Population,[/align][align=center]Have your kid's, spad or neutered"[/align][align=center][/align][align=center] [8D] [] [/align][align=center][/align]

Old 11-02-2007, 03:35 PM
Default RE: Interested in your Opinion on Dog Ear Cropping, Tail Docking, Neutering?

LOL Space.
He actually likesto take rides in the Monte.He sleeps a lot in it lol
Here are some pics

When we first got Ruger.

Slepping in the Monte with his ear posts on.

Huh?

Old 11-02-2007, 03:57 PM

[align=center]LK, Super Look'in Puppy[/align][align=center][/align][align=center]`Space falls in love with your puppy [/align][align=center][/align][align=center]I want me a `Puppy[/align][align=center]I'd call mine `D.O.G.`SS[/align][align=center]I don't think I look like a Space Alien, do I : ) ?[/align][align=center]
[hr]
[/align][align=center]Update: My g/f just viewed your post, & went[/align][align=center]aaaaaaaaaaaaaahshes she's so cute : )`Space, I want a puppy : )[/align][align=center]I said, I'll be your puppy, and then she hit me : ([/align]

Old 11-02-2007, 04:02 PM
Taz

Monte Of The Month -- March 2014
15 Year Member
10 Year Member5 Year Member3 Year Member1 Year Member

Not flaming anyone, but I don't see how you can say ear cropping and tail chopping isn't natural and therefore shouldn't be done. And then say have your pet spayed or neutered. I know Bob Barker used to say that all the time, and that's who you were referring to. But getting spayed or neutered isn't natural either.

I thinka lotof people assume that because you chopped the tail and cropped the ears, that means you're going to use the dog for fighting and abuse the dog. That may be where a lot of your angry looks come from.

Old 11-02-2007, 04:09 PM

[align=center]Hi `Taz,[/align][align=center]I agree with your post, but I think you misread my abovepost[/align][align=center][/align][align=center][:-][/align][align=center]Remember what SpaceBob says:[/align][align=center]"Help control the Human Population,[/align][align=center]Have your kid's, spad or neutered"[/align][align=center][/align][align=center] [/align][align=center][/align][align=center]Oh SuperMember `Taz, congrat's on your 500 contributing MCF Posts.[/align][align=center][sm=happy046.gif][sm=groupwave.gif][/align][align=center][/align]

Old 11-02-2007, 04:24 PM

Taz,
you might be right.
Taz wrote:
thinka lotof people assume that because you chopped the tail and cropped the ears, that means you're going to use the dog for fighting and abuse the dog. That may be where a lot of your angry looks come from.
I did't get thepuppyto train him forfighting. I got him to train him as lap dog. LOL.

I don't know if you guys knew but Dobes will follow you everywhere you go in the house I can't take a leak without him LOL.

Old 11-02-2007, 04:41 PM
Taz

Monte Of The Month -- March 2014
15 Year Member
10 Year Member5 Year Member3 Year Member1 Year Member

Space... you're absolutely right. I had just woke up (night shift) and was still wiping the sleep out of my eyes. Sorry about the confusion.

Big Mecho... a friend's Jack Russel Terrier does the exact same thing.

As for the cropping thing. I see it as being similar to circumcision. We get our kids circumsized at a young age because it's only a temporary pain that the child will never remember. Same deal with getting the dog's ears and tail cropped.

Old 11-02-2007, 05:16 PM

What a beauty! Love the name, too! My uncle bred and raised Dobies for many years. You are absolutely right about the docking and cropping, it was for improved hearing and to give less to hold onto. As for neutering, that depends on if you plan to breed him. Neutering has many benefits, not least of which is that the dog won't "mark" his territory (like inside your house, or your Monte) and also prevents bladder/cancer problems when they get older. It also makes certain breeds less aggressive.Your vet must have screwed up on the previous dog, my dogs (both beagles) were both back to normal within a week after their operations.
You WILL have one of the best protectors that money can buy with a Doberman, they will die to protect you and your family. That is one reason that he's following you (and your wife/girlfriend/kids, I bet). Even now, as a pup, he sees you as the alpha dog, to love and protect forever. He's going to be one (big) heck of a lapdog!I am so jealous of your beautiful pup, congratulations!

Old 11-05-2007, 09:21 AM

Thanks mad717

He's going to be one (big) heck of a lapdog!
Big guys need big lap dogs. LOL

Quick Reply: Interested in your Opinion on Dog Ear Cropping, Tail Docking, Neutering?