Interior/Audio/Visual Electronics Discuss your audio/visual system and your interior here.

Audio/Video Build: new stereo = wiring harness questions

Search this Thread

Old 05-31-2014, 05:29 AM

Sorry I didn't read it all.

Old 06-22-2014, 08:41 PM
3 Year Member1 Year Member

didn't want to make a new thread so i'll add to this one, got the stereo all installed and life is good, except the box is a tad too big so i'll be looking into making a new one this summer

looking for advice on which way to face the subs (from what I've read, I should face them towards the trunk which means opposite of my current set up) and also any interesting design pics anyone has for inspiration... just a plan box is meh although I may just end up going that way

Name:  P_20140621_140849_zps6086d48d.jpg
Views: 281
Size:  84.0 KB
Name:  P_20140621_141025_zpsd10022f8.jpg
Views: 290
Size:  98.1 KB

Old 06-22-2014, 11:42 PM
Monte of the Month -- March 2015
3 Year Member1 Year Member

I would face them towards the back of the trunk unless you want to have the back seat down all the time. It maybe a bit louder like that but I use to have it towards the cabin but never noticed a big differnce. Here is a pic of what mind looks like now.
Name:  IMG_0123.jpg
Views: 306
Size:  132.5 KB

Old 06-23-2014, 12:14 AM

Direction doesn't really matter as much as the type of box and cubic feet each sub has. This is why it's a big no no to build a box for 2 subs without splitting the box in half. If you don't the subs will push each other in and out, messing them up ultimately.

With that said, I've seen that subs sound the best in a ported box or a bandpass box. With a bandpass box, the "direction" is even more irrelavant, because the subs are sealed up in the box BUT they sound better with the ports pointing to the trunk. The same is true with ported boxes. The only type of box where the sub direction would make a difference is sealed, but a sealed box is the least loud type of box. The loudest is usually bandpass, but at the expense of silencing higher frequencies. Ported is good for rap music and other bass heavy genre's (like EDM and Dubstep) since ported is more about volume whereas a sealed box is more about the quality of bass. So a sealed box will have a better "thump" that you will feel but you won't hear the bass. A ported box will usually allow you to hear the bass and if a lot of air is produced, you will have a better thump at the expense of the quality of the bass. This is usually accompanied by a rattling trunk (if your subs are powerful enough to pressurize enough air that will vibrate the trunk).

I usually recommend Ported boxes, but that's because I like bass heavy music.

I would also recommend putting the subwoofers cone out instead of magnet out (how your set up is). I would also recommend 1.5 cubic feet for your subs in a ported set up unless they are very powerful subs, in which case 2.0 to 2.5 cubic feet will be good. 1.5 cubic feet will allow you to have a small box and a good pressure area. I would recommend building it long (fender to fender) and tall (floor to rear shelf area) to offset the depth of the box (this way you can have 1.5 cubic feet but have trunk space as well).