Interior/Audio/Visual Electronics Discuss your audio/visual system and your interior here.

New Speakers fried already...????

Old 04-18-2011, 07:55 PM
Monte Of The Month -- May 2012
Monte Of The Year 2012
Monte Of The Month -- February 2017
15 Year Member
10 Year Member5 Year Member3 Year Member1 Year Member
Default New Speakers fried already...????

Took my Monte in to have a Capacitor installed as my mechanic recommended it. Not so much that the audio system needed it more than the alternator would need it to survive.
So anyway I'm telling the Audio shop that did the initial install the system seems flat when being playing, sometimes cuts out like the Kicker Amps are going into a protection mode. So I wanted the system re-tuned. Get a call a couple hours later and am told the 2 front crossovers are fried and all four of my Massive Audio speakers are blown. I bet there are no more than 5 hours of play time on the whole system. So they are washing their hands of it saying someone messed with the amplifiers settings. I'm saying like who? it was not me as you said to never touch the settings on the amps. He said all the memory was erased and the settings were different than he set them. So my question how could something like this happen? Could disconnecting the battery when the car was being worked on by the mechanics have reset things? Did they do something wrong and are trying to dance around from taking responsibility for it? How does it get to the point of melting the plastic crossover covers and blowing my speakers. I told him the amps have the protection modes and why did they not work?? I just lost my Massive Audio Speakers that I dropped I bet close to $700 on for the doors and trunk deck. The MA subwoofer did not fail thank heaven...
Any suggestions, now they want to install Rockford Fosgate T-2653-S in the door, T2693 trunk deck and such, are they any good? How do I know this will not happen again, is a wire possibly hooked up wrong, bad ground?? DARN IT>>>>>>>>>>

Last edited by ZIPPY02; 05-26-2013 at 12:48 PM.
Old 04-19-2011, 07:45 AM

mmm digital amp settings...it sounds fishy to me because the only way for those (very nice amps) to forget their settings is to be unplugged, but i'm not 100% it would forget the settings, but since its digital i asume its flash memory and i doubt they put a battery in it to keep the settings...and you "unplug" said amp to install a capacitor. so it could be the car shop did this, turned it on and it blew the speakers...it sounds to me like somebody is pulling something over on you. make sure the speakers you dropped it off with are still their. rear deck would be easiest to look at, ive heard of shops stealing speakers. it's a very common thing, they're genraly under paid and people are selfish by nature. your machanic could of removed a battery termonal to work on the car. also a possibility, but i find it EXTREAMLY unlikely you blew those speakers, that's incredibly unlikly unless that amp isn't matched very well with them, but idk what speakers exactly you have and what that amp is putting out, but it shoudln't of blown them, it takes allot to blow a speaker.

in all honesty...you killed your battery and the settings reset, and their taking advantage of that fact by telling you the speakers are blown. I highhhhhhhhhhly doubt they are, Ive never met a true audio technition who was so quick to jump to such a conclusion, they never give a definative answers about a blown speaker as it can be very hard to tell by the very nature of the problem. did he install this system active? its sounding like it if he used amp crossovers instead of the deck. in either case, a low cut off on the cross over will NOT blow a speaker, not right away anyways. active basically is where your setting cross over frequency's between drivers (speakers) manually.

what I would do...well i'd do the install my self XD but what you can do is, go to this shop, tell them they need to give you more details because none of that bull**** adds up, and you suspect them of fowl play and threaten them with the BBB, always gets car shops a hoping when you drop the BBB bomb they'll at the very lease give you more info on what is going on, because i can't really tell from what you've told us, sounds fishy to me though. also, do not autherize them to take anything out, and tell them to show you that your speakers are sitll in the car, this is extremely fishy to me.

i'm sad to hear such a sad story, you have such nice gear and clearly put a good buck towrds this install.

if you lived near me i would gladly of done the install for you

Last edited by walkingonabullet; 04-19-2011 at 07:55 AM.
Old 04-19-2011, 07:40 PM

Originally Posted by ZIPPY02
Took my Monte in to have a Capacitor installed as my mechanic recommended it. Not so much that the audio system needed it more than the alternator would need it to survive.
So anyway I'm telling the Audio shop that did the initial install the system seems flat when being playing, sometimes cuts out like the Kicker Amps are going into a protection mode. So I wanted the system re-tuned. Get a call a couple hours later and am told the 2 front crossovers are fried and all four of my Massive Audio speakers are blown. I bet there are no more than 5 hours of play time on the whole system. So they are washing their hands of it saying someone messed with the amplifiers settings. I'm saying like who? it was not me as you said to never touch the settings on the amps. He said all the memory was erased and the settings were different than he set them. So my question how could something like this happen? Could disconnecting the battery when the car was being worked on by the mechanics have reset things? Did they do something wrong and are trying to dance around from taking responsibility for it? How does it get to the point of melting the plastic crossover covers and blowing my speakers. I told him the amps have the protection modes and why did they not work?? I just lost my Massive Audio Speakers that I dropped I bet close to $700 on for the doors and trunk deck. The MA subwoofer did not fail thank heaven...
Any suggestions, now they want to install Rockford Fosgate T-2653-S in the door, T2693 trunk deck and such, are they any good? How do I know this will not happen again, is a wire possibly hooked up wrong, bad ground?? DARN IT>>>>>>>>>>
Man, that's horrible. I wish I could pinpoint the problem but that's next to impossible. I've never heard of so much current getting to the xovers to where it melted them, that's a first for me. Sorry to hear about your trials a tribulations here but that Fosgate stuff mentioned is good stuff.

Old 04-19-2011, 08:18 PM

I had a thought, i missed the part about the melting.

they must of had them gains set wrong, cross over points CAN RARLEY blow a speaker, a speaker won;t blow from trying to play a note it's not good with, just not like that.

but what does blow speakers is to much power! and shops are natoriouse for just cranking gains.