New Member Area New to Monte Carlo Forum? Stop in tell us about you.

New guy...problem already!

Search this Thread

Old 11-08-2008, 08:18 PM
Default New guy...problem already!

Greetings All,

New 2003 Monte Carlo SS owner. Just picked it up about three weeks ago, 41000 miles. Live in PA, about 65 miles north east of Philly. Real nice clean car except for one problem - doesn't like the rain or damp weather. The first few miles it will hesitate, stumble and sometimes stall. Once it dries out, it runs like a champ. Is this a common problem? Something in the ignition system I can look at?
Of course dealer could not reproduce problem, so I told them it was a safety problem, and threatened to return the car (with a lawyer if necessary). Car goes back in shop Tuesday, while I drive a rental on their dime. I'd fix it myself, but it has a warranty.

Thanks, Rob

Old 11-09-2008, 01:00 AM
Default RE: New guy...problem already!

/does it have an aftermarket intake? its unlikely but if its an open filter could possibly suck water in. mass air flow sensor could be bad, tps can cause hesitations. if its in the ignition system it would be because of a bare wire more than likely. i know thats not much help, but those would be the things i would check. also is the check engine or service engine light coming on before, during or after this happens?

Old 11-09-2008, 03:40 AM

Monte Of The Month -- August 2007
5 Year Member3 Year Member1 Year Member

Just a guess, but in the olden days of horse and buggy, well not quite that far back, in the days of coils and distributors, they were susceptable to moisture. It's possible it's the spark controller under the coil packs. Possible cracked coils, or bad plug wires.
Here's where I'd start: Take it out somewhere at night where it's DARK, and pop the hood. Look over the ignition system good and look for arcing. Plug wires front and back, but especially the coils. You might want to pull the coil packs and make sure the rubber gasket under them is clean and dry, the connectors are clean, and no corrosion on any of the terminals.
I'm still leaning towards the controller under the coil packs. They DO go bad, altho I've not had that happen to me yet in a 3.8.

Old 11-09-2008, 07:03 AM

ORIGINAL: 03.SS.montecarlo

/does it have an aftermarket intake? its unlikely but if its an open filter could possibly suck water in. mass air flow sensor could be bad, tps can cause hesitations. if its in the ignition system it would be because of a bare wire more than likely. i know thats not much help, but those would be the things i would check. also is the check engine or service engine light coming on before, during or after this happens?
Stock air intake system. No check engine light of course, that would be too easy!

Old 11-09-2008, 07:09 AM

ORIGINAL: RocknSS04

Just a guess, but in the olden days of horse and buggy, well not quite that far back, in the days of coils and distributors, they were susceptable to moisture. It's possible it's the spark controller under the coil packs. Possible cracked coils, or bad plug wires.
Here's where I'd start: Take it out somewhere at night where it's DARK, and pop the hood. Look over the ignition system good and look for arcing. Plug wires front and back, but especially the coils. You might want to pull the coil packs and make sure the rubber gasket under them is clean and dry, the connectors are clean, and no corrosion on any of the terminals.
I'm still leaning towards the controller under the coil packs. They DO go bad, altho I've not had that happen to me yet in a 3.8.
I did the arcing test Tuesday night in my garage while it was still raining - I saw no sparks arcing. Good info - I will mention all this to the dealer, since the car is still under warranty - I've only had it 3 weeks.

Old 11-16-2008, 06:43 PM

Thanks everyone for the info. It appears the dealer has finally fixed it - replaced plugs and wires. MC is now running like a champ.