Interior/Audio/Visual Electronics Discuss your audio/visual system and your interior here.

Lighted Door Handles :)

Search this Thread

Old 08-24-2011, 02:08 PM
3 Year Member1 Year Member

Originally Posted by Jester_20
would it be too much to ask for a picture of the malibu lights you're talking about? I've got a pretty good idea, but would like to see the ones you're referencing
I'll see what I can do... Idk how long it'll be though. These ones had a light behind a clear plastic cover that spread the light out through the door and gave it the glowing effect, I didn't wanna make too big of a hole in my bezel, especially because they would show a little bite more.

Old 08-26-2011, 12:32 PM

It looks a lot like this...same idea anyway lol. But in the malibu's its a bluish green light and it glows really nicely.

I should be getting the LED's today I gotta hook it up and see how it's gonna act with the dimmer for verification, but it should work just fine. I'll let ya'll know how it goes

Last edited by JBurd67; 08-26-2011 at 12:33 PM. Reason: Edit: Picture didn't work
Old 08-26-2011, 01:18 PM

there is a blue wire behind the stereo that you can use, of the original harness, i found this out because when i wanted to run my remote wire for my system i accidently put it on there and my sub control was my dimmer switch LOL OOOPS but the wire should work!

Old 09-06-2011, 06:05 PM
Default Update! Well, sort of...

Hey everyone - sorry it’s been so long, I’ve been busy with school and a new job and all that. Being at school I haven’t had too much of a chance to work with my car cuz I’m away from the (my dad’s) garage and tools. So it’s not nearly as easy to do stuff…BUT I got my parts! So I’m pretty excited about that lol, here’s what I’ve got:

This is what the LED will look like from the outside. Barely noticeable!

And now a profile…

Here's what the LED looks like without the holder, let me know if you want a pic of just the holder...

Now I’m still unsure as to how much the light is going to project angle-wise, but from the “tests” I ran it should be sufficient enough to light up my small door handle. I’m going to check it out when I get a chance on whether or not it will look better with or without the holder (the black piece over the led). But my plan so far is panning out quite well. Now I just need to find the best place to put it inside the little cubby. Hopefully I can get a chance to do that this coming weekend when I’m home, if I don’t spend too much time on another car :p lol, I’ll try and keep everyone posted as soon I get results so you can get working on your own

EDIT: made pictures visible

Last edited by JBurd67; 09-07-2011 at 11:09 PM. Reason: Made pictures visible
Old 09-12-2011, 11:05 AM

Awesome idea - might be the first real mod I make to my Monte.

Old 09-13-2011, 08:09 AM

This sounds like something i might have to play with as well. if anyone else gets a set up let me know

Old 09-13-2011, 09:41 AM

where did you get those low profile led's from?

Old 09-13-2011, 06:32 PM
Talking

Well good news everyone! It's done and works great! I really like how it shines and illuminates JUST the door handle. I WILL post pics, but I have to get some first...it's kind of a pain cuz the picture doesn't show how awesome it is at night and not at all during the day, so I have to catch it sometime in between (when I'm always busy). But once I get some time I will also post pics on how everything was done and tips and what not to help with installation and the best look possible. I really like how it turned out though...very happy with the results.

Originally Posted by superrod29
where did you get those low profile led's from?
I searched ebay - 3mm red 12v led flat
20 x 3mm Red LED Flat Top 8000mcd Pre Wired 12v | eBay

These are the exact ones I used, but if you don't want 20, try searching "wide angle" instead of "flat". You want to look at the specifics of the led's themselves because if you get a standard one, the projection angle is a lot smaller (25-35 degrees usually). The ones I got are 140-180 degrees, and it fills up the cubby very nicely. And honestly these ones turned out quite bright, I actually thought about dimming them somehow but for now I'm happy with what I've got

Old 09-13-2011, 06:34 PM

Monte Of The Month -- September 2011
2011 Monte Of The Year

post pics ASAP!! LOL

Old 09-13-2011, 06:36 PM

Originally Posted by 03limitedss
post pics ASAP!! LOL
I'll do my best

Quick Reply: Lighted Door Handles :)