Interior/Audio/Visual Electronics Discuss your audio/visual system and your interior here.

Lighted Door Handles :)

Search this Thread

Old 08-21-2011, 11:37 PM
3 Year Member1 Year Member

Originally Posted by Mr.Monte
thatd be sweet to have the same setup as like the camaros with the leds in the door and dash!
Ya it would be! I know BBengineer can do most of the lights in your car, I'm sure he'd be willing to do the door/switch lights as well...it just might cost you a pretty penny. I'm going the cheap route, and I wouldn't be able to go without my car/controls for too long. Probly go crazy

Old 08-22-2011, 09:47 PM

Monte Of The Month -- June 2010

Sounds like it'll look cool! Good luck with it all!

Old 08-22-2011, 10:11 PM

Monte Of The Month - March 2010

Man that's a great idea I've been thikin of doin the same can't wait to see how it turns out

Old 08-22-2011, 11:49 PM
Cool

Originally Posted by 03JGMonte
Man that's a great idea I've been thikin of doin the same can't wait to see how it turns out
Thanks, I just can't wait till the parts get in lol.. Idk how long it'll be yet, HOPEFULLY I'll get 'em by the end of the week (china ) I'm sure these lights are going to be pretty simple, wiring will consist of the most work.

But as I'm waiting I've been working on tinting the white interior lights, and tonight I finished the HVAC display, and it turned out awesome...

Unfortunately, my best camera is my phone...but the picture doesn't do it justice. They are much more vibrant, and you can see every button very clearly (and it's VERY red, not pinkish lol). I'm really liking the looks of this project...and I've got one of the hardest pieces (assembly-wise) done and taken care of! Another plus to this is I got the passenger temp control light back
Another toughy is gonna be the radio

I'll post more pics on how to do this with the HVAC (and more peices) later when I have a little bit more time

Attached Thumbnails Lighted Door Handles :)-2011-08-22_23-08-54_855.jpg  
Old 08-23-2011, 07:21 AM
Monte Of The Month -- February 2012
5 Year Member3 Year Member1 Year Member

Yeah this looks like a really good idea. Can't wait to see what the process and end product looks like.

Old 08-23-2011, 11:17 AM
THE JUDGE
Monte Of The Month -- November 2015
Monte Of The Month -- March 2012
10 Year Member

Good luck with the project

Old 08-24-2011, 01:57 AM

i've wanted to do this accent lighting too in my monte for a long time. but if i recall, and i'm not an electrical expert, that LED's can't really be dimmed? not 100% on that, but i think that's what i remember learning..

anyway, good luck, and i'll be trying it shortly too!

Old 08-24-2011, 11:47 AM

I don't think there should be an issue with dimming them, as long as the voltage applied to them is lessened. I found the output "dimming" wire from the headlight switch so once I get the LED's in my first task will be to test and see how well they dim with the rest of my interior lights.

The LED's I'm using are floodlights though, I think this is going to be crucial to appearance. The viewing angle of the ones I bought is 140-180 degrees, where most standard (and much cheaper) LED's are 20-25 degrees. I don't know how much it will actually matter inside the bezel, but this way the light won't be as sharp and will be much more spread out to make it seem like it's glowing as opposed to spotlit. I just can't wait till they get here...

Old 08-24-2011, 12:51 PM
Monte Of The Month -- August 2011
Monte Of The Month -- April 2014
5 Year Member

Originally Posted by JBurd67
I don't think there should be an issue with dimming them, as long as the voltage applied to them is lessened. I found the output "dimming" wire from the headlight switch so once I get the LED's in my first task will be to test and see how well they dim with the rest of my interior lights.

The LED's I'm using are floodlights though, I think this is going to be crucial to appearance. The viewing angle of the ones I bought is 140-180 degrees, where most standard (and much cheaper) LED's are 20-25 degrees. I don't know how much it will actually matter inside the bezel, but this way the light won't be as sharp and will be much more spread out to make it seem like it's glowing as opposed to spotlit. I just can't wait till they get here...

Jburd I realy hope you post a "how to " with picture when it's done really sounds like a kool project. Nice of you to share it too.

Old 08-24-2011, 01:52 PM

Monte Of The Month -- November 2011

would it be too much to ask for a picture of the malibu lights you're talking about? I've got a pretty good idea, but would like to see the ones you're referencing

Quick Reply: Lighted Door Handles :)