Monte Carlo Forum - Monte Carlo Enthusiast Forums

Monte Carlo Forum - Monte Carlo Enthusiast Forums (https://montecarloforum.com/forum/)
-   Interior/Audio/Visual Electronics (https://montecarloforum.com/forum/interior-audio-visual-electronics-11/)
-   -   Lighted Door Handles :) (https://montecarloforum.com/forum/interior-audio-visual-electronics-11/lighted-door-handles-30388/)

JBurd67 08-19-2011 10:10 PM

Lighted Door Handles :)

Alright so the other day, I was riding with a friend in her new 2011 Malibu. Naturally, I'm looking around the interior to see all the new perks. As it got dark, I noticed something genius (and I'm seriously surprised it took people this long to notice) - the inside door handle bezel was lit up! So I immediately started thinking of ways to do it to my Monte. :rolleyes:

Quickly found something, and the best part is, it shouldn't cost me more than $10!! You can order something like these (I'm using 3mm LED's) anywhere online for next to nothing, decently simple install too ;)

AudiEnthusiasts Door Lighting

I"m not sure where they're gonna be placed in the bezel yet, but I can't wait until I get my stuff to do it! I'll definitely follow through with a How-to on how to do this. I'm unsure of how many I will be getting right now but I can almost guarantee that I will have more. :cool:

One thing I have a question on though - I would like to wire this into the dimmer on my headlight switch so when I turn down my interior lights, they will be dimmed too. Would there be any problems with this? And would I need to put resistors in if I didn't get these specific ones? (even if they're rated at 12v?)

Any and all input is welcomed and appreciated...

Oh, and tomorrow I'm going to start working on all my interior switches/displays to (hopefully) have them light up red. I won't get it all dont at once, but it's gonna be a work-in-progress. Following basics from this thread: https://montecarloforum.com/forum/si...me-pics-25376/

Wish me luck, I'll keep everyone updated! :)

03SSLE 08-20-2011 06:20 AM

Good luck with your project; I look forward to reading your how-to. If the LEDs are rated at 12v there's no need to use resistors. Resistors are used to reduce the voltage supplied to LEDs rated at a lower voltage. ;)

Tadcaster 08-20-2011 06:49 AM

Wow you got the ole wheeels turning in my head. I'd like to do this too. Looking foreward to your "How to" on this.

thanks for posting and sharing!

JBurd67 08-20-2011 10:57 PM

Glad I could help ya! I've been looking at doing this for a while...I just had to do some research and now I've gotta wait for parts...ugh. It shouldn't be difficult at all, the final results are what's gonna make me happy :)

Seriously though does anyone know if it'll matter if I tap into the power from the dimmer switch? (kind of a big issure for this project) I don't think it should but I want to make sure that I won't have any future problems...

On the plus side however, I got a spare hvac control from a junkyard today, tore it apart, and am working on tinting the white color to red... we'll see how it goes tomorrow after I get the plastic on there. I'm working on a prototype right now, but I'll have to post pics when I finish the real one finished and lookin' good :cool:

Tadcaster 08-21-2011 08:41 AM

your da man!

Project Monte 04 08-21-2011 06:27 PM

Man I love this idea...Im always looking for cheap and some what easy mods that are unique and will spice up the monte

PUNK LIFE 08-21-2011 06:53 PM

sounds like a very cool mod idea, im interested to see your hvac tint project also, ive thought about messing with mine

The_Maniac 08-21-2011 07:29 PM

Rather then tinting the HVAC module, replace the lights in it with red LEDs. :)

JBurd67 08-21-2011 08:05 PM

Originally Posted by PUNK LIFE (Post 354343)
sounds like a very cool mod idea, im interested to see your hvac tint project also, ive thought about messing with mine

The HVAC part is gonna be one of the hardest...working on it now though, it should turn out really good :) I'm excited to see the end result. Had to spend a whole $2 on the celophane lol.

I would replace the bulbs with led's but I'd have to put a resistor in there and I'm not so hot with a solder gun... I've tried it and didn't want to mess up my controls. Could have had it done, but didn't want to spend a rediculous amount either

Mr.Monte 08-21-2011 11:08 PM

thatd be sweet to have the same setup as like the camaros with the leds in the door and dash!