Interior/Audio/Visual Electronics Discuss your audio/visual system and your interior here.

LED's in dash DONE!!!!

Search this Thread

Old 01-10-2006, 04:01 AM
Photobucket
15 Year Member
10 Year Member5 Year Member3 Year Member1 Year Member
Default RE: LED's in dash DONE!!!!

it is not that hard but yeah for the most part how i learned is i found a old computer that worked and i tore it apart and would soldier it apart and back to geather till i could get it to work. some of them wernt pretty but it worked good

but you could just go get a diffrent set of controlls or somethign and practice on them till you got it to work right

but honestly noibody will ever see it unless you show it to them so i would not worry about how it looks just make sure nothign that is not suposed to be touching is not touching

and you should be good to go. but remeber with LED's if you go to the pos. to neg and neg to pos it wont work they are one way only unlike a regular light buld that will go both ways

Old 01-11-2006, 12:17 AM
Monte Of The Month - July 2005

aight now where do i go about getting a sodering thingy or what ever you call it

Old 01-11-2006, 04:23 AM
Photobucket
15 Year Member

ORIGINAL: big green dog

aight now where do i go about getting a sodering thingy or what ever you call it
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^ ^LMAO!!!!

Ok here is something even easier for you to do. Go to your radio shack of your choice. Walk in and ask the guy where you can find a soldering iron and a small project kit. they have some that you have to make somethign that invloves the use of a soldiering iron. Then it will do somethign when done like walk up and down stairs or somthing. So can get real fancy others are just simple.

But would give ya somethign to practice on and also let you use your new toys and found talents to build somethign other then your car parts.

And or you can do like i siad earlier and go get another controll pannel for the HVAC and then just get the soldiern Iron and some Solder for ELE. then go at it. remebering that a LED will only pass light in one direction. So just becuse it dont work when your done dont mean it is bad it could mean that you have it in backwards.

Also get a cheap 9 volt battery and some small wires. And while your getting the iron get your self a battery termanal that will allow you to hook it to this 9volt bat. Solder a resitor in line on it so that you can test the LED's with out blowing them from feeding them to much juice. so now you have a testor for them test all before you solder them in this way you know they are good and it will limit your head achs.

i made one out of a old radio i had here that took 9 volt poer i just cut off the bat. adaptor and used those wires with a resitor in line so i can touch them with the LED's termanials and they will light the LED up. Works great.

Also when you get the whole boraad done you can touch it to the hot and neg on the borad and it will light all of your led's that you have installed that have the same current path and will show you if they are workign in the circut or not.

You will also need a good test light if you dont have one already
take the borad out of the HVAC Controlls carefully. then plug it back in to the car so that nothing touches it. check the pionts where the lights hook up to the borad and see withc one it the hot side and MARK IT.
Now you know hot and cold for all of the marked bulbs. so whiel your soldering them to the borad you know to hook the resitor up to the marked terminals then hook up the lights to those and the ground and it should alkl work for ya.

Just be real careful working with the borad. If you happen to get it to hot it will allow the taped circut to come up if this happens follow it back to where it connects to the borad or where you can get a good soldering point. then solder from there to your bulb. This will then make that the new circut and shoud fix the scrrew up to.

( i did this on one of mine also so dont feel to bad. )if it happens to ya

Old 01-11-2006, 09:06 PM

damn this could be complicated hahaha but i guess i need to learn how sooner or later

Old 01-12-2006, 04:02 AM
Photobucket
15 Year Member

actually it is not that bad just takes some paitance and some practice but it is really not that hard. then when ya learn this you can go to the fun stuff like takeing the propane torch and heating up the wie and soldiering the ends on your amp install kit to get a good connection also.

And other fun stuff . You will find oe you learn this ele, be come almost interasting. I said almost.

Old 01-12-2006, 08:31 PM

lol thanks for the help yeah i was thinking that might help with the conections on that too lol im going to look at some colleges this weekend but im gonna try to start on figureing this all out next week

Old 02-02-2006, 11:26 AM

soldering is actually pretty easy, just make sure you dont get the hot solder on yer fingers.
if you know what flux is and how to use it, it makes soldering a lot easier but that also depends on your applications
as far as soldering wires you could dab flux on the ends of the wires and that would help a little bit until you can get the hang of soldering. basically the flux helps the solder flow better and "stick" better.
best of luck to ya[sm=icon_cheers.gif]

Old 02-12-2006, 09:39 PM

do you think you could get some bigger pictures i really like this idea

Old 02-13-2006, 05:51 PM
Photobucket
15 Year Member

bigger shots of what my dash?
if you go to my car domain site it is on there also. So they are bigger tere i belive. and the shots i have of them are not real good but been to cold to go play out side right now.

But basically all of the sdash lights in my car are now puprel but are goign to be changed out to Blue here shortly or red. as the new sponsor i have been talking with is asking me to change them So i will be having more fun LOL

But if you look at your dash and figure anythign that is not green being the color of your choice that is how mine is also i did all of the switched and buttons on the doors also.