Interior/Audio/Visual Electronics Discuss your audio/visual system and your interior here.

LED's in dash DONE!!!!

Search this Thread

Old 11-05-2005, 05:13 PM
Photobucket
15 Year Member
10 Year Member5 Year Member3 Year Member1 Year Member
Default LED's in dash DONE!!!!

well folks i finally got them all done and in the dahs tonight was the first time to see it lit up in all puprel other hten the speed hut over lays and man it looks nice!

it was not as easy as everyone thought but not to bad ethier. if you can use a soldiring iron then you can do this but the HVAC was the worse one to do.

I did take photos as i went threw for most of it but the steering wheel controlls i didnt wish iu had but forgot to. SORRY

So if you wan tto get in to them let me know i can tell you how to.
here is ashot of the radio and the hvac controlls but the whole dash is lit up to./
i did the lights in the dash and all of the switches and locks and window buttons.
The one thing i didnt change was the LED's that were in place in the fog switch and the cruse switch so when they are on they still have the green and amber lights that come on to let you know they are on. her eis a shot of the whole dash
(out of focus real bad due to camera shake) and also one of the radio. I will see if i can find my min tripod so i can take a real good shot of it so it looks better but this will give you a idea of wha tit looks like but holding a camera that is hevy for more then a few sec. at night SUX. and gives shots liek this.

Old 11-05-2005, 06:15 PM
Default RE: LED's in dash DONE!!!!

WOW That is some nice work Mickey, I may ask you for a tutorial some where down the rode on how to do this.

Old 11-06-2005, 07:05 AM
Photobucket
15 Year Member

the hardest part was the steering wheel controlls to get to them but after they were out they were the easist ones to do.
the HVAC was a pain in the *** and the radio was easy just took time is all.

Im willing to do them for you but you would have to get a bunch of LED's in the right color and in the 3mm size and then send it to me and i will get them done and send them back to you.

Also when you do the HVAC the controlls now dont block off the recirct. for the defrosters any more. so it is nice you can get it to wrok a bit faster. and i can now turn on the AC/in any position so it dose change it a bit but nothign to much.

but for the most part they were not to bad. just took time. Now i have to get to cventer councial took back apart i have to hard wire my heated and messegeing seat wires in so that i dont have to worrie about the plug floating around.

Old 12-05-2005, 11:04 PM
Monte Of The Month - July 2005

i like that ALOT and i think it would look great with my blue i already have because i didnt want something that was river but looked better than that gay green glow so if you would be willing to give a more in depth description of how you did it that would be great...fyi i havent ever sodered anything so if that needs to be done i probly need to figure out how to do that too

Old 12-06-2005, 07:00 AM
Photobucket
15 Year Member

yeah on our cars the lights are soldierd in place , do to you never doing it ever then i would sugest gettign a old radio or somethign tha tyou cna mess with for practice . take one out of a junked car or somethign, then you can tear it apart and see what they look like and see if you cant soldier them in and out of place a few times. It really is not that hard to do just takes some time and effort to make it work

how i did this.

I tore out everythign from the dash and the doors i wanted to relight in the new color. (in my car it was everything but the speedo cluster)

the HVAC i felt were the tuffest to do, you take them apart and take the bord in there off of the plastic all togeather so all you have is the bord in your hands,
Then you look for the light bulbs and then you take your hot soldiering iron and heat up the area where the buld connects to the bord . white a pair of small pliers pull gently on the bulb at the same time . when it gets hot enough to free up the wires then it will come out.

you have to reatcah your new LED but on the positive side of it you have to use a resitor.
on anything in the dash or any of your switches you have to use a resitor in line for the 12 volt system, or your LEDS will have a real funny glow for about 2 sec. and burn out.

how i did mine is in on the front side i stuck the resitor threw the hol and attached them in to place.
then i took a small pair of pliers and bent them over flush in the front side of the bord now with the positive LED i bent it straight out before i put it threw the borad. and then i bent the leg on the LED and the resitor to come together and attached a small amout of soldier there to hold them in contact and in place.

then you flip the borad back over that soldier the connections and make sure they are in good contact.

do that for all the bulbs there.

the one ones you do not have to have a resitor on are the ones that are already LED's like the rear defrost and the AC buttons at the bottom of the HVAC controll pannel they are a direct replacement as they are already LEDs. biggest thing is to get the 3mm sized LEDs and then make sure you get them as close to the bord as you can.

Also radio shack might have them but they are not cheap. go to www.dav-eletronics.com
this is where i bought mine and they came with the resitor and all of the LEDs and some mounting cups to mount them if you were to want to put them in other places.

i think the easiest one to do was the radio the whole thing just poped apart and the LEDS were easy to get to and easy to soldier in place on it.

Also before you completely put any of the things your doing back togeather take them out to the car and make sure they work

LEDs are a one way power only so if you put them in backwards you will not get any light at all threw them
If you hook them to straight power they will glow yellow and then smell reallllllly bad.

if you have never done this b4 you might just go to a bone yard and get a extra set of controlls for the HVAC as they were the tuffest and do them and see if you can make it work and fit back in to place if it works then you can plug them in and use them,

on some of the ones i had to shave the top of the LEDs with my dremel as they wer eto tall and didnt allow the switch to move enough to make contact so make sure you chek that also.

the one for the mior controller is the worse of the switches.
I wish i had another switch ehre so i could have just replaced mine .

but you open it up you will see a hole in the top of the bord just above the light. verry carefully drill this hole threw the plastic part of the switch. then you will need to feed some cover wire threw it so it wont make contact. this will be the power lead and you need to atach one end of the wire to the bord and then to the resitor then back up threw the hole to the LED positive side so you have room for the swithc

Old 12-16-2005, 02:01 AM

lol i wish i could do all that but i think ill need a little practice but in the mean time what about all the bulbs like under the petals and the dome lights you can just get blue ones or what???

Old 12-16-2005, 05:02 AM
Photobucket
15 Year Member

yeah you can ethier go gfet the pre painted bulbs or do it yourself (what i did) To paint them is not that hard. just get a can of paint the color you want and also a old cereal box.
poke a hoile int he box for the lights to stand up on wiht out falling over. Then take some rubbing alchoal and wip them down real good. Let dry and shoot with color. It might take a few coats to get them to be the color you want but the trick is the first coat will look like crap no matter what the second coat you look better and so on.

i have 5 coats on mine and they look fine. But the Dome light in mone is LEDs I just took one of bulbs that fit it and broke the glass in it so i could get the steel end caps then i twisted togeather enough leds to make the light brite enough for my liking. then i soldired them in to the end caps and re installed them in place of the main dome light.
Works great and have had no issues with them I will more then likly have to replace the wireing before i will a light bulb in the dome light now LOL

The other option is get your LED's you want and the parts you want doen and send them to me i will do the wark for you. But you would want to get tthe parts out of another car so you dont have to drive around with the dash all tore up on your car for a while.

Old 01-08-2006, 11:42 PM

those are sexay..... im looking to do that with my car but i havent been so lucky... i broke 1 of my heating control for my seat and the fog/dimmer switches [sm=smiley19.gif]

Old 01-09-2006, 03:50 PM
Photobucket
15 Year Member

how did ya break them? thoise are easy to get out /

Take it slow and easy and they come right out

Old 01-09-2006, 10:02 PM

i mean how do you go about learning how to souder things just prectice??? and messing around untill you get it down

Quick Reply: LED's in dash DONE!!!!