Interior/Audio/Visual Electronics Discuss your audio/visual system and your interior here.

Installing an Amp... need some help

Search this Thread

Old 10-12-2008, 02:43 PM
Default Installing an Amp... need some help

Hey guys, I was searching the web on how to install a new AMP on My 01 Monte Carlo SS, and this forum seemed like a good place to ask.

I've already replaced the four speakers with two Kenwood 6x9s and two Kenwood 6.5" speakers.

I am now replacing the amp and installing a sub.

In a month I'll be replacing the deck.

The car has a stock amp on the celling of the trunk, and I want to replace it with the Kenwood KAC-6402 Car Amp.

http://www.autoaccessorystore.com/ho...detail&id=1834

That's the amp.

Now, how would I go about installing it? Is there a wiring harness that would make it similar to installing a deck? Or do I cut the wires out of the plug leading into the current amp and hook them up one by one.

If I hook them up one by one is there a wiring diagram out there?

Lastly, Could I use the same wire that powers the current amp, or should I run a new power cord from the battery to the amp?

I have no idea the specs or how much power goes to the stock amp.

I also have one more question.

I know how to replace the speakers - I've already done that, but as for the sub, do I just hook it up to the amp or do I also run it's own power cord from the battery to the sub?

Any suggestions, tips, and/or hints would be greatly appreciated!

Thanks a ton!

-Sam

Old 10-12-2008, 04:45 PM
Default RE: Installing an Amp... need some help

I also have on 01 ss. I recently put an amp and a 12" kicker comp CVR sub in my car. I just put in my own amp and left the stock one to power to internal speakers.

Old 10-12-2008, 05:33 PM

I was thinking about that, but I'd just rather give it to all of the speakers because they are all upgraded.

Plus that seems more difficult. I'm hoping to just swap them out.

Old 10-26-2008, 07:02 PM

you'd have to run a new power and ground for that amp and a remote wire to tell it to turn on. youd also have to run new wires for each speaker. i did it on my car a while back. right now ive got 2 spare batterys, 3 amps (1 4 channel and 2 2 channels), 2 12" directed sx12s' and 2 directed sx15's. the remote wire would be connected to the back of your radio (if you have an after market radio) or to your fuse box on the left side of your dash if you still have your factory radio