Interior/Audio/Visual Electronics Discuss your audio/visual system and your interior here.

Installing an Aftermarket head unit in an '06 LT

Search this Thread

Old 02-29-2012, 03:11 PM
Default Installing an Aftermarket head unit in an '06 LT

Hey everyone,

I just got an '06 LT and am planning on purchasing a new head unit. I found a couple I am still deciding on, the ones I am looking at all have iPod docks so I will be able to just sit my iPhone on it, play my music, listen to any internet radio I want, etc. The stock does of course have an Aux in but I would like to have an actual dock so I won't need to have wires all over the place for charging and audio.

Anyway, I have heard that it is hard to install after market radios in the newer MCs and still keep the wheel controls. Is this true and if it is, how much do the necessary adapters cost in order to keep the steering wheel and On-Star controls? And is it something an un-experienced person would be able to do? I was planning on bringing to a local shop to have them install it but if it is just a matter of some adapters I should be able to do it myself I would think. If it is anything past that I still don't mind bringing it in though.

And if anyone cared to know, this is the main unit I'm looking at-

It doesn't do much out side of AM/FM, but I don't really need anything else if I am going to have an iPhone there all the time. GPS, Pandora, iHeart, etc. etc.

I also heard this specific one unit is pretty powerful which will be good because the stock one isn't. (Anyone know the wattage on the stock 06 LT?)

Thanks in advance!

Old 02-29-2012, 06:12 PM
Monte Of The Month -- September 2010
10 Year Member
5 Year Member3 Year Member1 Year Member

the stock wattage is pretty low, like 15-20 rms.

You'll need the wiring harness, you can go to crutchfield.com and they'll point you to the right harness to keep onstar and everything, I'm not sure which one that is for the 7th gens.

You'll also need the dash mounting kit, which will be a single din kit for that headunit along with the antenna adapter.

Mounting kit:

In-dash Receiver Kit Fits select 1990-2007 GM vehicles — single-DIN at Crutchfield.com

Antenna Adapter:

Antenna Adapter Works with select 1985-up vehicles (Motorola male to OEM antenna female) at Crutchfield.com

Also, I would look at a different headunit without the docking station, I have a feeling that it will bounce a lot and make the ipod fall, also looks like it has a lot of moving parts which can potentially lead to failure.

Good luck with the build!

Old 02-29-2012, 07:08 PM

Originally Posted by trewyn15
the stock wattage is pretty low, like 15-20 rms.

You'll need the wiring harness, you can go to crutchfield.com and they'll point you to the right harness to keep onstar and everything, I'm not sure which one that is for the 7th gens.

You'll also need the dash mounting kit, which will be a single din kit for that headunit along with the antenna adapter.

Mounting kit:

In-dash Receiver Kit Fits select 1990-2007 GM vehicles — single-DIN at Crutchfield.com

Antenna Adapter:

Antenna Adapter Works with select 1985-up vehicles (Motorola male to OEM antenna female) at Crutchfield.com

Also, I would look at a different headunit without the docking station, I have a feeling that it will bounce a lot and make the ipod fall, also looks like it has a lot of moving parts which can potentially lead to failure.

Good luck with the build!
Hey, thanks

I gave Crutchfield a call and they told me I would be looking at this unit-
GM Factory Integration Adapter Install a new car stereo in select 2000-up GM vehicles and retain all factory functions at Crutchfield.com

Is that really the only way? $250 Seems like a lot of money just for that.

Thanks!

Old 02-29-2012, 07:28 PM
Monte Of The Month -- September 2010
10 Year Member
5 Year Member3 Year Member1 Year Member

this might be a little better for ya:

METRA AXXESS GMOS100, RADIO INSTALL ADAPTER GMOS-100 | eBay

I don't know a whole lot about the 06/07 harnesses but I'd assume they're similar to the 6th gen, if you're looking to keep OnStar for a while I wouldn't cheap out on it just because OnStar can save lives.

Old 02-29-2012, 07:49 PM

Thanks for finding that for me! I will definitely consider that one, might need to hold off on the project for a little bit as I wasn't expecting to cost much, but I will bookmark it

Thanks again,