Interior/Audio/Visual Electronics Discuss your audio/visual system and your interior here.

high output alternator options

Search this Thread

Old 01-20-2012, 09:28 AM
DTG

I got some quotes back from mike singer last night on some alternator builds, thanks for referring me in his direction, prices are amazing!

Old 01-21-2012, 07:33 AM

Originally Posted by Boxman420
holy crap.... i cant even run 2.5k without my lights dimming with a 270amp alt. you only have one extra battery?
I'm a little jealous...lol. I'm running 1200 watts total and my lights dim a lot a night. Here's my setup:

0awg
AP-10001D
(2) ZX12D2
Yellow top

I think I need to pick up one of those alts too. I don't know if it makes a differences but I have the flex fuel model. Maybe the factory alts suck in those.

Old 01-21-2012, 08:42 AM

Originally Posted by MRagland828
I'm a little jealous...lol. I'm running 1200 watts total and my lights dim a lot a night. Here's my setup:

0awg
AP-10001D
(2) ZX12D2
Yellow top

I think I need to pick up one of those alts too. I don't know if it makes a differences but I have the flex fuel model. Maybe the factory alts suck in those.
wow! that is not good! i ran 1500 with no problem it was once i got over 2000 that it started to get bad. you have a nice battery under the hood too.. not sure but i dont know what the cost mike singer makes them for but im sure its a really good price!

Old 01-21-2012, 11:32 AM

wow! that is not good! i ran 1500 with no problem it was once i got over 2000 that it started to get bad. you have a nice battery under the hood too.. not sure but i dont know what the cost mike singer makes them for but im sure its a really good price!
It's a decent battery. I believe it's Autozone's name brand(with a redtop). Dura last or something like that. I had it tested last year around this time and they claimed that it was still good.

I have both batteries going directly to the alt. does that make a difference? When I hooked the second battery up to the battery under the hood, that didn't really help. What ohm loads are you guys running at? Does that make a huge difference? Mine are series-paralled at 2 I believe.

I think factory alt puts out 125 amps...dunno at what rpm though.

Old 01-21-2012, 12:05 PM

Originally Posted by DTG
I got some quotes back from mike singer last night on some alternator builds, thanks for referring me in his direction, prices are amazing!
No problem

Old 01-21-2012, 06:44 PM

It's a decent battery. I believe it's Autozone's name brand(with a redtop). Dura last or something like that. I had it tested last year around this time and they claimed that it was still good.

I have both batteries going directly to the alt. does that make a difference? When I hooked the second battery up to the battery under the hood, that didn't really help. What ohm loads are you guys running at? Does that make a huge difference? Mine are series-paralled at 2 I believe.

I think factory alt puts out 125 amps...dunno at what rpm though.
oh you have a regular battery then a yellow top? that doesnt really change anything. if they are both hooked up with 0 gauge wire. they are still connected to the same power source. yes that does make a large difference! i run my sub amp at .5ohms(a little over 2500RMS) which is not recommended if your electrical is lacking cause it makes the amp work harder and get hot and cause it to potentially burn up. the lower the volts the hotter everything gets.

i think the factory is close to that yes. my DC power alt does about 280 at around 2000RPMs and 200 at idle. i dont know what mike singers does probably around 270 at 2000RPMS thats usually a set point between many alternator companies

Old 01-22-2012, 02:06 PM

oh you have a regular battery then a yellow top? that doesnt really change anything. if they are both hooked up with 0 gauge wire. they are still connected to the same power source. yes that does make a large difference! i run my sub amp at .5ohms(a little over 2500RMS) which is not recommended if your electrical is lacking cause it makes the amp work harder and get hot and cause it to potentially burn up. the lower the volts the hotter everything gets.

i think the factory is close to that yes. my DC power alt does about 280 at around 2000RPMs and 200 at idle. i dont know what mike singers does probably around 270 at 2000RPMS thats usually a set point between many alternator companies
Yea man, I will probably just have to dish out the cash for that alt. because that sounds like my last option. My subs are series/paralleled at 2 ohms. I also have a four channel for all of my 6x9s (I cut the 6.5s out and made a template and wrapped it in leather for 6x9s. For the first time doing something like that, I got the concept but it doesn't look that great.)

Old 01-23-2012, 09:18 AM

Yea man, I will probably just have to dish out the cash for that alt. because that sounds like my last option. My subs are series/paralleled at 2 ohms. I also have a four channel for all of my 6x9s (I cut the 6.5s out and made a template and wrapped it in leather for 6x9s. For the first time doing something like that, I got the concept but it doesn't look that great.)
probably gonna have too. they are expensive but hell it should run for ever and you can always resell it later on. although i am shocked that your lights are dimming badly at 1200 watts.. you might have the gain cranked up to high or something. do you have a DD-1? or a O-scope? how many watts is your 4ch? im supprised you like the 6x9s better then 6.5s! i love 6.5s

Old 01-23-2012, 10:25 AM

probably gonna have too. they are expensive but hell it should run for ever and you can always resell it later on. although i am shocked that your lights are dimming badly at 1200 watts.. you might have the gain cranked up to high or something. do you have a DD-1? or a O-scope? how many watts is your 4ch? im supprised you like the 6x9s better then 6.5s! i love 6.5s
I don't have either one of those. 4 channel puts out 4x95w or something like that. Yea, a few people tell me I'm nuts for that 6x9 thing but hey....everyone has their preference and I just had to try something new. Ha! I'm actually going to put them back to 6.5s though because I want to factory look again. I just need to find where I can get new/used door panels that are relatively inexpensive.

Old 01-23-2012, 01:40 PM

Monte Of The Month -- July 2010
Monte Of The Month -- July 2013
IT HERTZ
5 Year Member
3 Year Member1 Year Member

hey this helps and for the 18$ you spend it is worth it all day i got the stage 1 and it tool me from 13.9v to 14.5 and i am using it in tandem with my 200 amp hp alt in my Monte .I have to say i was skeptical but it was only 18$ so I took the chance and it is totally wort it !! It does work .
Easy Performance - Alternator Voltage Booster #

Quick Reply: high output alternator options