Interior/Audio/Visual Electronics Discuss your audio/visual system and your interior here.

high output alternator options

Search this Thread

Old 01-02-2012, 05:16 PM
DTG
Exclamation high output alternator options

ok so im getting ready to start some minor upgrades on my monte here, need to finish my new box for my subs still, nothing to fancy just 3 12" solobarics not going db dragging here just a street beat, but im looking at alternators and I see mechman has a 270 amp for 449, and a 390 amp for 1099.00, now for the moment I will be able to get away with a 270 and a big 3 upgrade, now my real question here is what would be better to really do, a single alt or a dual alt set up, if i buy a 270 right now and save a few bucks and need to go bigger later i can buy another 270 and run dual and push 540 amps for a total cost of 900 bucks, or if i buy a single 390 amp right now for 1099 thats 200 more dollars for 150 amps less, but does a dual setup actually work in unison like im assuming to give me the 540 I would be looking at above here?

Thanks

Old 01-02-2012, 05:29 PM

what kind of amps are you running? i currently have a DC power 270XP alternator. and love it. i personally am not a big fan of mechman. i ran into a problem i had with a mechman 270 i bought off of someone on CACO, and they just treated me like i was stupid and their responses werent helpful at all. although they did reply to my messages 24/7. So i switched to DC power and havn't been happier. plus DC powers 280pro is 399.99 i think? or right around there. buy that 270 of course your going to have to buy a dual bracket, longer belt. etc. but you will have 150 more amps! and yes i believe that is how it works you just add it together. at least that is what i was told. but check the IDLE amp out put as well. might come in handy when your at a red light or your just idling. specialy because monte carlos have low idles. my alternator does 190 at idle. i think that PRO series does 140 and the mechman is probably pretty close to that

edit: check out singer alternators. the guys name is mike singer and i hear he makes alternators that are bad *** and the prices are even better then mechman, and DC but i bought mine before i called him so, thats another option to look at!

Last edited by Boxman420; 01-02-2012 at 05:33 PM.
Old 01-02-2012, 05:44 PM
DTG

thanks for the quick reply, much appreciated, right now i will be running a T2500-1bd, with the 3 12" solos, and just ordered a AVH-P4200DVD, however later on this coming summer or winter I will be looking at a T3000 or bigger and upgrading my subs, sounds like alot for just a street beat machine, but I love bass ha ha, if you could send me some links to the info you described above that would be great like that DC power 280, im open to other companies mechman just seems to be what ive ran into most for the monte for some reason.

Old 01-02-2012, 05:55 PM

hey no problem! if 3000 watts is all you will be running 1 alternator and maybe 2/3 batteries in the back and you would be solid! im running 2500 as of right now. about to be at 4100 and still on just one alternator and 1 battery. but im in the market for more batteries as we speak. i love bass as well! so i know exactly were your comming from. you will love that HU as well! i cant seem to find DC powers 280 for some reason. im sure you can call them and they will give you some great possibilities on what you can do. heres the link to the one i have. and also their website. i dont recomend buying the one i have due to the only reason i have it, is cause they upgraded me for free from the 280 i originally ordered.

https://www.dcpowerinc.com/fit/2001~...34-270-xp.html

heres mike singer, send him a email and see what he can do. iknow someone that has 3 of his 390 amp alternators in a F150 and he swears by them.

Welcome to Singer Alternators | Singer Alternators

i dont mean to bash on mechman at all. they are a very solid company. and ALOT of people use their stuff.

Old 01-02-2012, 07:06 PM
DTG

Thanks for the quick reply again, ill be looking into all of this and also getting ahold of this mike fella, ill be doing periodic updates here and there as things come along, weather here in minnesota has been pretty crappy the last couple days so I havent been able to get some pics up of the monte I just got but will be coming soon :-)

Old 01-02-2012, 07:15 PM

anytime! i always get excited when people do stuff with audio. cause thats all i do :p. definitely post up a thread with all your audio updates! i want to check it out! and check out mine for ideas or questions!

Old 01-02-2012, 07:56 PM

Monte Of The Month -- April 2011
GOT SPL

I ran almost 2300rms to my sub and over 3000rms total system, with stock alt and optima yellow battery and 0awg wire with almost no problems with rpm at 2000. So you probably wont need much.

by the way I have update coming on 300 build and might add my second US Amps amp to put a little over 5000rms to my sub.. Boxman I know you are probably interested

Old 01-02-2012, 08:03 PM

Originally Posted by jaws2008
I ran almost 2300rms to my sub and over 3000rms total system, with stock alt and optima yellow battery and 0awg wire with almost no problems with rpm at 2000. So you probably wont need much.

by the way I have update coming on 300 build and might add my second US Amps amp to put a little over 5000rms to my sub.. Boxman I know you are probably interested
i think a nice Deep cycle battery is the key here! i still have a lousy energizer regular ol battery and i had dimming lights back when i was at 1500 watts. so a nice battery is very helpful. but now on 2500 watts i can handle it during the day and not drop under 13.5 volts. but at night...... drops down to a little under 13 and it starts dimming again!

you know im excited for that update! ill be interested to see how that sub handles 5000 watts! i am subscribed to that thread i think, so ill be on the look out! cant wait to see it!

Old 01-02-2012, 08:23 PM

i bought my 220 amp alternator from here: Alternator & Starter Parts Wholesale - Repair Kits - High Output Alternators works beautifully and was $270 shipped to my door

Old 01-02-2012, 08:43 PM

Monte Of The Month -- April 2011
GOT SPL

Originally Posted by Boxman420
i think a nice Deep cycle battery is the key here! i still have a lousy energizer regular ol battery and i had dimming lights back when i was at 1500 watts. so a nice battery is very helpful. but now on 2500 watts i can handle it during the day and not drop under 13.5 volts. but at night...... drops down to a little under 13 and it starts dimming again!
yes. when I had stock battery I actually had my sub amp shut off on me even while driving(think it happens if it drops below 10.5v).. But I also think I still had 4awg to it. I don't remember. But just putting that battery in I noticed a big difference. Especially when I went to 0awg. And with both I had almost no more than 1 volt drop at most (according to the stock gauge on dash) with rpm at 2000, but no dimming of lights or anything

But I also think the amps make a difference depending on efficiency etc..

Quick Reply: high output alternator options