Interior/Audio/Visual Electronics Discuss your audio/visual system and your interior here.

high output alternator options

Search this Thread

Old 01-02-2012, 08:49 PM

Originally Posted by jaws2008
yes. when I had stock battery I actually had my sub amp shut off on me even while driving(think it happens if it drops below 10.5v).. But I also think I still had 4awg to it. I don't remember. But just putting that battery in I noticed a big difference. Especially when I went to 0awg. And with both I had almost no more than 1 volt drop at most (according to the stock gauge on dash) with rpm at 2000, but no dimming of lights or anything

But I also think the amps make a difference depending on efficiency etc..
wow yeah. i think they do shut off around 10.5 and also tend to get very hot if played that low often. wow i would really like to see less then a 1V drop on full tilt. so to the OP a nice deep cycle battery with a big alternator and you should be set for a while! and have room for a nice 4CH!

Old 01-02-2012, 08:57 PM

dude i run a 7k audio system off of my 270$ 220 amp alt i got. i can't remember who it is, but its VERY common one if you look it up he has n ebay store and sells them, ive been running it for about 2 years now, great alt.

Old 01-02-2012, 08:59 PM

Originally Posted by walkingonabullet
dude i run a 7k audio system off of my 270$ 220 amp alt i got. i can't remember who it is, but its VERY common one if you look it up he has n ebay store and sells them, ive been running it for about 2 years now, great alt.
holy crap.... i cant even run 2.5k without my lights dimming with a 270amp alt. you only have one extra battery?

Old 01-02-2012, 09:47 PM

Monte Of The Month -- April 2011
GOT SPL

Also the song effects voltage drop. The lower the note the more it drops as well as how long the note is. The song(s) that it would turn off would be a song that has about or longer than 5 sec and it would keep dropping the voltage. Ive never had heat issues with my US Amps MD 3D amp, and it runs at .5ohm all the time. I love that thing. Heck my little JL Audio slash 300/4 gets like 10 times hotter than the US Amps amp.

Old 01-02-2012, 10:15 PM

Originally Posted by jaws2008
Also the song effects voltage drop. The lower the note the more it drops as well as how long the note is. The song(s) that it would turn off would be a song that has about or longer than 5 sec and it would keep dropping the voltage. Ive never had heat issues with my US Amps MD 3D amp, and it runs at .5ohm all the time. I love that thing. Heck my little JL Audio slash 300/4 gets like 10 times hotter than the US Amps amp.
that is very true! i can play rock songs all day and never go below 14V but on rap it drops. due to playing low frequency's. same here my 4ch gets VERY hot while my BC2000 isnt hot at all

Old 01-02-2012, 11:35 PM
DTG

I emailed mike singer on a few different alt builds so ill be waiting to hear back from him before I decide which route to go with here, appreciate all the posts with the helpful information. kind of wish the wheel wells werent quite as far into the trunk as they are on these, kind of hindering some of my setup ideas, looks like about 40 inches wide at the widest space, might have to recheck in the morning when I got more light to work with.

Old 01-03-2012, 03:09 AM
DTG

UPDATE ---- Will be ordering the avh-p4300dvd instead of the 4200, glad I havent ordered yet, but for those that dont know, it has an app mode for your iphone 3gs, 4, and ipads, you also need the CDIU50V ipod/iphone adapter, "20 bucks at the usual online places" you can use a gps app called [B]MotionX[B] and it will display the gps on the screen of the unit and play the audio over the stereo and you can still have music playing in the background, you can stream netflix, pandora, xm radio and some other things through the ipod/iphone as well and all will show up on the screen and play through the stereo as well, google maps, and mapquest however wont display on the screen for some reason maybe there will be an update to those apps at sometime, MotionX has a 20 dollar a year subscription fee but thats chump changed compared to the cost of the gps unit add on at 200+ dollars and would just add another box you need to try and hide. just wish this unit had bluetooth built into it as well, not really wanting to pay the 150-200 bucks for that adapter so ill skip that one, just would be nice for the hands free phone calls.

Old 01-03-2012, 02:50 PM

cool man! i also have the pioneer avh 4300. i got it because of the app mode as well. and that thing is sick! i didnt know about the netflix part but what i like to do on my iphone. is i have the VEVO app which is huge music video channel on youtube. so i go to the app on my phone and upload videos and watch and listen to music videos. your going to need to run a relay to make it so you can have videos playing while moving

Old 01-03-2012, 09:07 PM

Originally Posted by Boxman420
holy crap.... i cant even run 2.5k without my lights dimming with a 270amp alt. you only have one extra battery?
oh i'm not talking about huge power draws, i ran class D amps and pulled maybe 1600 watts total for everything and maybe used 800 for the whole system. it wa sa great system though, im upgrading to 2 new class D amps, a 700$ amp and a 1000$ zed audio set, 6 channel and single channel. gonna be beastly loud, 230 watts a channel, 1k wtts to my subs, which will be 2 18" FI ib sub's.

Old 01-13-2012, 11:37 PM

Mike Singer alternators FTW! Prices and product blow away Mechman and DC. While Mechmans customer service has been good for the most part, Singer's is excellent! DC makes a good product but their customers service is horrendous and it can take getting lied to a few times before you get your alt. So if you're feeling lucky and have money to burn, go DC....if you want wonderful customer service and a great product, go Mechman or Singer....Singer will save you some money over either one of them and will give you an excellent product.

Quick Reply: high output alternator options