Interior/Audio/Visual Electronics Discuss your audio/visual system and your interior here.

Help Installing Head Unit and Subs in 01 MC LS

Search this Thread

Old 06-23-2006, 04:58 AM
Default Help Installing Head Unit and Subs in 01 MC LS

I Have a new head unit, a sub w/ amp on it, and want to install them in my 2001 MC LS.

I need advice...

1. where to put the Digital Interface, GM Class II Data Bus Interface and if its difficult
2. How to remove the dash trim (i found the 2 screws, but does it just pop off?)
3. How and where to run the sub wires to my trunk? (does the side panels pop off easily?)

also any advice on how to mount my 10" sub so it doesnt move around would help.

PLease help me!!

Old 06-23-2006, 11:18 AM
Default RE: Help Installing Head Unit and Subs in 01 MC LS

this may sound wierd but i use the one side of velcro and just hit each side with it and it is working fine....

Old 06-23-2006, 10:10 PM

First forgive me im tired tonight.

ORIGINAL: CHOWEE21

I Have a new head unit, a sub w/ amp on it, and want to install them in my 2001 MC LS.

I need advice...

1. where to put the Digital Interface, GM Class II Data Bus Interface and if its difficult
should be a plug and play deal if i am right on those. I fnot should have destructions for hooking it up. should not be that hard to do

2. How to remove the dash trim (i found the 2 screws, but does it just pop off?)
there are more then 2 screws for the dash trim but after you get the one out of the fuse box,glove box and under the dash on the drivers side they just pop off BUT WATCH OUT FOR THE KEY SWITCH!!!! you have to put the car in to first gear to get that whole peice out of the way . So when you pop it off you have to do it with the key in the ING. OR you pop it lose with the car in park, Then you put your key in behind the dash and trun it to on and shift it in to 1st gear and turn the key back off take out the peace and then put it back in to park and take key out.

3. How and where to run the sub wires to my trunk? (

This is how i ran mine.
the power wire gose up the PAx. side. and threw under the upper portion of the back seat and then sneeks past everythign and hangs in to the trunk area this way.
The ground wire is grouned to the body of the car rght below the read deack speakers and behind the strut tower as far as i could get it so it would not hang up on anythign.
then teh RCA cabels run out of the trunck the same way and up the drivers side of the car to the head unit behind all the peddels under the carpet aginst the fire wall held in place with a few zip ties to make sure they are not getting stomped on or tore up unde rthe carpet.

also any advice on how to mount my 10" sub so it doesnt move around would help.

does the side panels pop off easily?
They are not to hard to get off you have to take out the bottom panels in the foot wells under the dash. then take out like one or two screws tha thold the kick panels in place then you just pop them out and the rocker trim peaices will pop up also.

Becareful not to brake the plastic clips there so you can reenstall everything nice and pretty like after your done.

But they go in the same way they came out and not hard to do.
Good luck and post osme pics after words.

How i keep my box in place is i layed a sheet of ply wood on the floor in my trunk. then i bouilt the suround for my amp rack and my cap and mounted them to it also. and the box was mounted with some small strips of angel brackes that are painted black. then i carpeted the whole thing so that you really cant see them unles your looking hard to find them

I will get some shots of it after i finish the lose ends. after moving my amp i have to get some longer Ground cabels can hook it back up again.

I have the sub being pushed off of a regula Hiphonics 440watt amp. Nemises i belive it was thent eh front speakers are being run off of the factory amp . Thsi will be changing soon for the front as i plan to add another amp for them here shortly also.

But first i will be replacing my factory speakers for something better. Just havent decided on the infinity cappa series or not yet.
Want a real clear sound and somethign that can handel the 440 watt amp i have now then i will get a D block mono amp for the subs.

PLease help me!!

Old 06-25-2006, 08:04 PM

thanks... if some one could get pics up on the paneling , head unit back and setup, and stuff thatd be kkooll thanks

Old 06-26-2006, 06:32 AM

when i finish mine i will post some pics of it , right now it is in the shop for tranny work! Finally goign to have it replaced or at least fixed I HOPE!!!!
but then i will get some shots of the install i have done in the trunk and the headrest monitors and also the head unit in the dash fliped out.

you can out the Pioneer stereos in the dash on these cars everyone is saying you can't this is B.S. I have it in my dash!!

So if it cant be done tell them to explain to me how i didi it with no major mods done to my dash for it .

only thing is it will block the center vents off for the most part with the sreen fliped up. So you have to angel them out to the sides or straight up. so you dont have it blowing in to the back of the monitor directly.

Old 06-26-2006, 09:37 AM

Trans work????

What happened to it??

Old 06-26-2006, 10:12 AM

it is doing that rev real high then drop in to gear when you slow for a red light and then it changes

also seems to not like to go in to gear all of the time.

Honestly im hoping the due a filter change on it i know it needs one LOL

But i think part of it is that they shift linkage is not right on it

Also that damed steering shaft here we go with number two!!! UGGGGGGGGG!!!!!!

Why cant CHEVY figure it out to add a service port on that thing so we can greese it our selves at home.

replace it once and let it go. or better yet put a bushing in there to cause it to stop the bumping feel in the colum.

but nothing to serious also i had the ing. switch that was goign bad on it. I know why that happend i got mine the last time i got in to the dash on the side of the road. i had forgot to hook up the T-Signal flasher so i poped it apart in a parking lot and got the ing key in the prossess so it was my goof but it didnt like to turn any more.

Tehy are not happy that i had three keys for my car and i made them re cut all three of them LOL