Interior/Audio/Visual Electronics Discuss your audio/visual system and your interior here.

EQ does not power down

Search this Thread

Old 02-25-2009, 03:49 PM
Default EQ does not power down

Hi everyone,

I just installed an amp pushing a pair of subs using the LOC method, and it all worked perfectly...except for one thing. The EQ does not power down, so I have to assume the amp does not either (the LED doesn't work, so I can't tell for sure if it's on or off.)

I have tried using about 4 different fuses as the remote lead (radio, seat warmer, and 2 others I can't remember) but the stupid thing does not power off. I'm baffled. Any ideas why my components refuse to turn themselves off?

Thanks,
Dave

Old 02-25-2009, 08:15 PM

Monte Of The Month -- July 2009
I'M NOT OLD, I'M JUST WELL MARINATED.
5 Year Member
Default RE: EQ does not power down

Have you checked with a DMM that it turns off and on with the ignition switch (the amp)? Not sure what year is your Monte, but most of times, you use the ORANGE wire behind the radio. Thats the switch ignition.

never mind about the year question. I just saw it in your name. Its the Orange wire.

Old 02-26-2009, 12:24 AM

If ya cant get it figured out you could just install a switch. I plan to just to have a quick kill switch for the subs, cops dont like to hears bangers late at night haha

Old 02-26-2009, 04:03 PM

I would like to explain that I just spent 20 minutes typing out my entire setup and posed a few questions, and this POS browser had an error and erased it. All of it.

I am beyond pissed. As soon as I am not wanting to murder someone I will redo it. ****!

Old 02-26-2009, 09:56 PM

Why is it telling me I don't have permission to post? Do I need my mom to give me a permission slip?

Old 02-26-2009, 09:59 PM

What the hell is the issue? I can post anything OTHER than the relevant post? I saved it to a Word doc earlier because it was being fussy and now I STILL cannot post it. I keep getting errors. Is there some deal with code where I can't use punctuation? I'm so confused and frustrated. I'm just trying to get help!

I hate computers...

Dave

Old 02-26-2009, 10:00 PM

"Forbidden You don't have permission to access /postpro.asp on this server."
I phucking phail.

Old 02-26-2009, 10:01 PM

Let's try this again.

Here's the setup:

Amp-

Model: Fosgate 100.2 (mid-90s amp built to withstand nuclear war. It is a rock, and despite being small, puts out 200 RMS in mono)
Power: Direct from battery with 40-amp fuse under hood
Ground: Connected to nut in middle of trunk under carpet (nuts is attached to oval-shaped metal piece on floor of trunk)
Remote: Wired into passenger-side fuse box in seat warmers' location
Input: Line Output Converter (LOC) wired to rear speaker wires (6x9s disconnected for now) Output: Bridged to mono for pair of 12" Fosgate Punch wired in mono in sealed box

EQ (now disconnected, but this is how it WAS)-

Model: Kenwood 4042A
Power: Piggyback off amp's power. Screwed into amp's positive terminal.
Ground: Same as power. Screwed into amp's negative terminal.
Remote: Again, piggyback off amp. Crimped together with amp's remote wire

Old 02-26-2009, 10:03 PM

To explain further, I wanted to maintain the original head unit yet still add subs (like everyone else). I used a LOC to do this, which put my hardware in the trunk. The EQ was from an old car of mine with an aftermarket deck, which made it easy to install under the dash. Now, however, as my RCAs originate in the trunk, I can't see the practicality in mounting it under the dash, so I put it next to the amp in the back. In order to save time and wire, I wired the EQ to the amp's wiring, rather than running more wires to the front of the car (a major pain, and possibly also unnecessary).

Now, however, I am starting to think this setup was not effective. If I remember right, the EQ used to turn off when the car was shut off. Now, however, the lights stay on. So I think I must have a problem with piggybacking it off the amp. That, or the fuse I chose is always hot (pretty sure the latter is not the case).

Any comments here? Also, is there any way to EASILY mount the EQ under the dash so I can make adjustments from there? By easily I mean no drilling, no removing the dash or center console, etc. If not, I will keep it in the trunk. And if necessary, I will wire it independentof the amp.

Thanks again,

Dave

Old 02-26-2009, 10:05 PM

Sigh...I got it. I'm sorry this is such a ****show. I'm just trying to ask a question and for some reason it would NOT let me post until I went and deleted all the spaces and then reentered them.

Anywho...thanks guys.

Dave

Oh, PS, now I see that all my apostrophes have been quintupled. Enjoy!