Interior/Audio/Visual Electronics Discuss your audio/visual system and your interior here.

Shark Fin Antenna on my 01 Monte Ss

Search this Thread

Old 02-28-2009, 12:32 PM
5 Year Member3 Year Member1 Year Member
Default Shark Fin Antenna on my 01 Monte Ss

I am aiming towards getting the shark fin on my car but for the antenna (better reception) instead of the look. I was wondering if someone has heard of the shark fin or seen it on an 01 monte. If so, I don't know where to get one and of course I don't know how to put one on. All the audio tech guys I know (only 2 LOL) said they never put one on a monte carlo but its worth a shot. They tend to do good work but its like my car is "shark bait" towards their hands as a PROJECT. The reason why I want the antenna is because my car was broken into last sept. 08 and those guys pulled my factory antenna cord with my dvd HU and broke it. So now, I have the cord JAMMED inside the factory unit and position right for better radio signal. If anyone can Help, I will gladly appreciate it.

One more thing, How do you embed your car photo with your post.

Old 02-28-2009, 06:38 PM

Monte Of The Month -- August 2007
5 Year Member3 Year Member1 Year Member
Default RE: Shark Fin Antenna on my 01 Monte Ss

I can't imagine a shark fin antenna getting better reception. The optimum length of an FM antenna is actually 1/2 of the FM radio wavelength, which on the average of 97.5 mhz (87.5+108 / 2) figures to be 58.5" long. THAT would be the BEST antenna for FM. Anything less than that is less than optimum. Are most FM antennas shorter than that? YES! But an antenna of only about 3" just seems short to me. Now granted, the wire serves as some of the antenna, but I'd be leary of the quality of the reception on these "stylish" antennas. The "factory" shark fins as on the '05 and later Montes are not FM antennas, but XM-Onstar antennas, as the stupid stick-on antennas they put on the rear windows fall off. The roof mounts are not just stuck on, I don't think, but I've never pulled my XM antenna off. The wire does go thru a hole in the roof, tho.

As far as posting pics, use an off-site photo dump, as photobucket, and link to it. The pic in the bottom of the post is part of your signature. Use small letters. The format is: [img]http............[/img]