Interior/Audio/Visual Electronics Discuss your audio/visual system and your interior here.

6th Gen ('00-'05): Dual Sundown SA-12's. Anyone had experience?

Old 05-02-2014, 07:21 AM
Default Dual Sundown SA-12's. Anyone had experience?

Planning to grab 2 sundown SA-12's over the summer to top off my existing sound system. I upgraded the head unit to a double din alpine and the cabin speakers to a full Hertz setup. I love the way everything sounds, but the stock amp is kind've finicky I've found. I plan to upgrade to a much higher quality 4 channel amp when I get the subs just so the cabin speakers can keep up.

When I acquire the Sundowns I plan to get 2 SA-12 D4's as apparently these are better to run than the D2's when you are building for 2 subs. Has anyone had experience in building a box for these (I plan to get a shop to do it, but I'd like to get a rough idea of space requirements) or in choosing an amp? Trying to keep the build sub 1k for 2 subs, the 4 channel, and the amps for the subs. So if offering amp suggestions please keep this in mind. Thanks in advance guys!

Old 05-02-2014, 08:30 AM

I have the system you are describing.....see this thread...

https://montecarloforum.com/forum/in...-member-44210/

The box dimensions are 36"w x 15"h x 17" d. This is the largest you can really fit in the Monte and still have some needed trunk space. 36"w will fit and you can push it back to the rear seat frame support.

The internal box volume is about 3.8 cu. ft., using 3/4" MDF. Using a single 6" port in the center around 12" long, the box is tuned to approx. 33 HZ. Sounds fantastic! Hope this helps.

See my signature for the list of amps and components.

Last edited by LTmonte5; 05-02-2014 at 08:34 AM.
Old 05-02-2014, 03:51 PM

Originally Posted by LTmonte5
I have the system you are describing.....see this thread...

https://montecarloforum.com/forum/in...-member-44210/

The box dimensions are 36"w x 15"h x 17" d. This is the largest you can really fit in the Monte and still have some needed trunk space. 36"w will fit and you can push it back to the rear seat frame support.

The internal box volume is about 3.8 cu. ft., using 3/4" MDF. Using a single 6" port in the center around 12" long, the box is tuned to approx. 33 HZ. Sounds fantastic! Hope this helps.

See my signature for the list of amps and components.
I'm actually very glad you replied! When I was deciding on my subs your post actually convinced me to go ahead and get the SA-12's. I had feared that there wouldn't be enough space to fit them to spec. Did you break in your subs by running at around 1/2 power for a week or so, or was that unnecessary for these? I've heard several different opinions, but if I choose to go with your setup, it would make sense to ask you the questions. Also, do you feel the amp supplies them with sufficient power? It appears that it would give them more than enough, but hearing them in person would really determine that I guess, or taking a multi-meter to the amp. Thanks in advance!

EDIT : Any chance you could let me know how to make one of those sick trunk lid mats? I'd love to make one for my monte, also, did you make the visor covers that you put over the airbag warning stickers, or did you purchase those?

Last edited by TimberJohn; 05-02-2014 at 03:53 PM. Reason: Adding questions.
Old 05-02-2014, 05:01 PM

Originally Posted by TimberJohn
......... Also, do you feel the amp supplies them with sufficient power? It appears that it would give them more than enough, but hearing them in person would really determine that I guess, or taking a multi-meter to the amp. Thanks in advance!

EDIT : Any chance you could let me know how to make one of those sick trunk lid mats? I'd love to make one for my monte, also, did you make the visor covers that you put over the airbag warning stickers, or did you purchase those?
The amp I have supplies way more than enough power for SA-12s. It supplies a true 2200w rms @ 1 ohm. Dual 4 ohm SA-12s can be wired for 1 ohm total resistance. This in effect sends 1100w to each speaker. Though only rated for 600w each, the SA-12s are greatly under rated.....they easily handle the power....no break-in needed, but they do sound better as you use them! Purchase a "bass" CD and rattle the neighborhood.

Page 2 of my thread describes how I made the trunk mat...here..https://montecarloforum.com/forum/in...r-44210/page2/

I got the stickers from here...www.vinyldisorderstickers.com You can design whatever you want.