Interior/Audio/Visual Electronics Discuss your audio/visual system and your interior here.

How do I replace rear speaker grilles

Search this Thread

Old 04-30-2014, 12:26 PM
3 Year Member1 Year Member
Default How do I replace rear speaker grilles

Before I do the challenging climb into the back seat, can someone instruct me on gen6 rear grille replacement, please. (physically challenged, not lazy) thanks in advance.

Old 04-30-2014, 01:45 PM
Monte Of The Month -- August 2012
5 Year Member3 Year Member1 Year Member

The speakers come out the top. flip your back seat down. You'll see a black plastic strip near the top. You need to take the retaining screws out and remove it. There are some screws on each side near the rear window that hold the molding in place. Either loosen or remove these screws. The ends of the cover fit under them so they need to be lose. With a putty knife, carefully loosen the part of the cover rolled over the edge where the top of the seat would be. Now very carefully slip the seat belts through the openings being careful not to break the plastic surround. Once the seat belts are removed use the putty knife to separate the rest of the cover from the package tray. Now carefully remove the cover. The speaker grilles will come out with it. Replace your grilles. Also, you can now access the speakers. You can remove the speakers and the plastic adapter by removing the screws then sliding the other end out of a couple tabs. Slowly lift the speaker up and disconnect the wires.

Note: You may want to mark the wires and speaker terminals for identification or draw a diagram.

Last edited by 03SSLE; 04-30-2014 at 01:47 PM.
Old 04-30-2014, 02:38 PM
Monte Of The Month -- December 2010
Monte Of The Month -- November 2014

Originally Posted by 03SSLE
The speakers come out the top. flip your back seat down. You'll see a black plastic strip near the top. You need to take the retaining screws out and remove it. There are some screws on each side near the rear window that hold the molding in place. Either loosen or remove these screws. The ends of the cover fit under them so they need to be lose. With a putty knife, carefully loosen the part of the cover rolled over the edge where the top of the seat would be. Now very carefully slip the seat belts through the openings being careful not to break the plastic surround. Once the seat belts are removed use the putty knife to separate the rest of the cover from the package tray. Now carefully remove the cover. The speaker grilles will come out with it. Replace your grilles. Also, you can now access the speakers. You can remove the speakers and the plastic adapter by removing the screws then sliding the other end out of a couple tabs. Slowly lift the speaker up and disconnect the wires.

Note: You may want to mark the wires and speaker terminals for identification or draw a diagram.

Hmmm, I wish I knew about the side screws by the back window this past weekend. The instructions/video I saw didnt mention them at all, now have broken piece around center seatbelt, uggggg. Will try again with this extra info this weekend.

Old 04-30-2014, 09:33 PM

Monte Of The Month -- December 2011
Monte Of The Month -- September 2014
10 Year Member

One thing to add, the plastic for the speaker grills may be brittle. So when removing the speed nuts that hold the, to the package shelf, the stud will probably snap off.

Now, when I changed my speaker grills, I'll admit, I did NOT do proper homework. What little info I found did not seem to indicate any kind of nut/retainer holding them (so I thought they just "clipped in"). I remove mine and broke them. When I put the new ones in, they are snapped in, no retaining nuts. They make no noises/rattles and you can't tell by looking at them that they are not held with the speed nuts.

I don't advise people to do it that way, but at the point I made the critical error, it is what it is. Also, it did not take much to crack the old grills either. Years of being in the sun made them brittle).

Old 05-01-2014, 07:49 AM
3 Year Member1 Year Member

I truly appreciate your reply! I inherited my baby from my folks when they quit driving with a piece broken out of one speaker grille, y'all know how moms clean everything.... You saved me a ton of pain, and saved the paramedics a trip.... Thanks again. Now, if I can only find replacements.... Struck out everywhere I've searched.

Old 05-01-2014, 08:05 AM
Monte Of The Month -- August 2012

You may want to try GMPartsDirect or GM Parts Department. They both list the speaker grilles, but you'll need to contact them to verify availability.

gmpartsdirect.com: Alternate GM Catalog

http://www.gmpartsdepartment.com/par...?siteid=214533

Last edited by 03SSLE; 05-01-2014 at 08:08 AM.
Old 05-03-2014, 11:24 PM

I am a GM parts manager, the Ebony (black) speaker grilles are no longer available from GM. I am looking at getting a Right Rear speaker grille now. Looks like buying aftermarket speakers with speaker grilles are the only way. Only problem is we own a Dale Jr 04 and it has the amp under the rear self and I am not sure what size the speakers even are and IF I can get some speakers that sound as good as the factory ones.