Interior/Audio/Visual Electronics Discuss your audio/visual system and your interior here.

Complete audio overhaul - critiquing welcome

Old 05-04-2011, 03:50 PM
Default Complete audio overhaul - critiquing welcome

Currently have a completely stock 05 Monte Carlo LS, complete with factory amp. I'm looking to replace the factory HU, amp, and all speakers within a reasonable budget. I'm not looking to win any car shows, just need something to satisfy my ears in a daily driver.

After a bit of research I think I've narrowed everything down, I'm really just looking for some opinions of it before I spend anything.

Anyway, I'm currently looking at;

HU: Pioneer AVH-P2300DVD
Checked it out at Bestbuy, seems solid.

Doors: Polk Audio db651s
I already own these, got them at a good price almost new. Why not?

Rears: JL Audio C2-690tx
Hectic about spending that much for a pair of speakers, but I've never heard anything bad about JL, and they're only 10$ more than Kappas.

Amp:
Alpine MRP-F300
Undecided here as well, so I went with a good brand. Has a built in crossover as well, could come in handy when adding a sub later on?

Most definitely will be adding a sub with another amp later down the line, currently just want to get this wiring nightmare out of the way though.

Should I worry about running a Capacitor with this setup?.. how about once I add a 2nd (500RMS+) amp to power a subwoofer?

Will the Big 3 be necessary?

Any commentary at all is welcome. Thanks in advance.

Old 05-04-2011, 04:16 PM

Monte Of The Month -- April 2011
GOT SPL

Wow. I think you did you research. Good gear choices in my opinion. Ive always been more of a alpine guy when it comes to head units except their touch screens where I favor Kenwood. But ive herd good about pioneer.

Forget the cap and do the big 3. And save up for a better battery or something instead(like the Optima Yellow Top or something like that)

That alpine amp rocks I ran that amp for almost 4 years, never a problem, sounded great and solid and to me seems a bit underrated.

I have had the JL c2 6.5 and there pretty decent. Ive ran the JL TR 6.9 3way for a long time and am quite impressed with them.

Those polks are really good for the money..

Old 05-04-2011, 04:29 PM
Monte Of The Month -- September 2010
5 Year Member
3 Year Member1 Year Member

I agree with going with the big 3 not the cap.

Also, I have the alpine amp currently and it's great, looks like you're headed in the right direction

Old 05-04-2011, 06:45 PM

Monte Of The Month - March 2010

Pioneer is a good head unit, ive got an Avh 4200 in my car & no problems as for the rest idk i havnt upgraded mine yet lol need too soon though but looks like good choices

Old 05-04-2011, 10:12 PM

good start. those polks are gonna be much lacking in the mid bass though you need a sub with them. ive used similer speakers to them. their nice for what they are but still needs a sub.

and good lord dont pay those prices, sonic would do much better, and ebaying would do half that price for all that gear.

Old 05-04-2011, 10:24 PM

Thanks for all the replies so far guys, really appreciate it.

I will no doubt be adding a sub not far down the line - Any suggestions on a good sub/amp combo?

One or two? I'm more of a rocker so I think the most I'd need is 12(s), probably 10(s) though?

Old 05-04-2011, 10:35 PM

900W Kicker 10" Subwoofer + RE Audio Amp + Amp Kit + Enclosure

just something i found that i liked, thats kickers "sq" line and RE is pretty good.

Old 05-10-2011, 07:58 AM

So as something of an update;
I decided that I don't currently have enough time in my day to rewire the whole car for new speakers and amp. Instead I decided adding a sub would be a simpler approach for the time being.

I ordered a single alpine type r 10" and an alpine 500 watt rms mono amp, as well as the pioneer HU.

Pretty excited, hoping it gets here before the weekend

Last edited by bizparr; 05-10-2011 at 08:00 AM.