Interior/Audio/Visual Electronics Discuss your audio/visual system and your interior here.

6th Gen ('00-'05): 2000 Audio Overhaul

Search this Thread

Old 10-16-2013, 05:15 PM
Default 2000 Audio Overhaul

I plan on overhauling the audio in my 2000 Monte Carlo SS, but definitely need some guidance. I'd like to get a feel for how much a full overhaul will be, and if I could upgrade certain speakers gradually instead of all at once. I could go to an audio shop to have the work done, but I don't want to get upsold on audio or equipment that I don't really need or wont be satisfied with. I'm very novice in the world of car audio, so any information or help at all would be appreciated, thanks in advance!

Old 10-16-2013, 05:42 PM
Monte of the Month -- March 2015
3 Year Member1 Year Member

You can upgrade a little at a time. For speakers they come in pairs, the front ones in the doors are 6.25 and the back speakers are 6x9. For the head unit you can fit either a double or single din were the stock head unit is. When you have other questions I am sure they can be answered.

Old 10-16-2013, 05:50 PM

Thanks, I appreciate the response! I am looking for brands, or specific speakers that are highly recommended to upgrade to. I'd like to be able to fully overhaul for 1-2 thousand, preferably saving where I can.

Old 10-16-2013, 06:28 PM
Monte Of The Month -- May 2014
5 Year Member

First, Welcome to MCF.
I recommend doing some research first. Go to the Car Stereo stores and listen to there demos. Write down the parts, (speakers, head units) that fit your ears desires. Then go home and look up the stats and reviews for them. Learn the parts that you would need to install them. The internet is full of info on car audio for the novice up to the pro.
Then I would say replace your speakers first. A good set of speakers can make significant improvement even to a cheep head unit. When replacing the speaker have a Wattage total in mind, Especially if you are going to be putting an amp or 2 in. If you want a 4 Chanel amp that puts out 50 wats per Chanel, you want each speaker to be able to hand at least 60 wats. You want your speakers to handle more total wattage per Chanel, (per speaker) than the amp can put out per Chanel. If you are going to put subs in, follow the same rule. You speaker, in my opinion, shout be able to handle 10 Watts more than the amp can send to them. Again, per Chanel.
In the end what matters most is what sounds good to your ear. And what you can afford. The last car I did a stereo in was crystle clear up to 80% of the stereos volume. And sounded like a concert hall on wheels. Do your foot work first. If you have a low budget. Buy the pieces one at a time, ie. Rear speakers, then fronts then amps then head unit. You can install them individually or wait until you have everything and do it all at Once.
Also Keep in mind that if you are going to put any kind of power in the system, Amps, you need to replace the speaker wires. Monster makes good speaker, amp and power wires.
Of course, if you have any questions you can always post them here. There are many members who have upgraded their systems. Some just speakers, others full blown systems ready for competitions. I'm sure each and every one of them would be willing to lend you there brains.
Hope this puts you on the right track. Good Luck, Great Sounds and Safe Driving!

Old 10-17-2013, 07:32 AM

If your lookin for a relaxed time, upgrade the fronts, not the rears. and that should liven it up alot.The backs are usually still very good. If your lookin to replace all, Amp+Speakers = love

Old 10-17-2013, 03:07 PM
Monte of the Month -- March 2015

If you have a best buy or any car audio stores around you, they will have lots of different speakers and head units you can listen to. When you buy anything I would buy it online cause it will be cheaper and I would recommend a warranty too. A good site to look at would be sonicelectronix.com. They have a large selection and can show you specs on things.

Old 10-17-2013, 08:15 PM

Thank you all for the responses! They have all been incredibly helpful, especially yours JC, thank you for the warm welcome! I plan to upgrade to front speakers and get a new head unit for now, until I can save up some more cash for everything else. If I am just going to upgrade the front door speakers, what information will I need to know? Will I need to get an amplifier for just the door speakers? To give you guys some more information, I want ultimately to have a very bass oriented build, the goal is to put 2 12" subs in the trunk bay. (I would appreciate any suggestions for brands or if any other sizes may work better in that compartment) I want to have a very loud very heavy hitting sounds from the bass, but I also want high quality highs and mids. Thanks for the help, and I look forward to hearing back from all of you!

Old 10-17-2013, 09:20 PM
Monte Of The Month -- May 2014
5 Year Member

The fronts are 6.25 - 6.5". You want to get at least 3way speakers for the front. That's your Highs, Mid Range and Mid Bass. Again, the brand I like may not have the sound quality you are looking for. You can go to any car stereo store, Best Buy, even Wall-Mart and listen to the any combination of head units and speakers they have. A Brand is only as good as it Sounds to your ear.
You don't have to get an amp just for the front speakers. As I said before, just replacing the factory speakers will improve your sound quality. But Keep in mind if you Are going to be putting amps into the system, you want to have a power range in mind when you buy your speakers. You don't want to buy 100 wat speakers now, then get a 200 wats per Chanel amp for them later and blow your speakers the first time you turn the head unit up to 5.
If you are going to replace the Head unit, you are going to need an adapter so that you can plug the new head unit into the factory harness and I think there is one that allows you to use your steering wheel controls. I'm sure one of the other members who have upgraded their stereos can chime in with the specifics on those. My stereo was upgraded when I bought the car. I don't like the system But I have more pressing issues with my car. Hope this helps!

Old 10-19-2013, 12:50 AM

Thanks again for the response! I'll probably continue updating this thread with questions I may have, if that is okay, as I progress in upgrading my sound system. Hopefully, this thread can be of some use to others in my situation! One quick question I have before I venture out to test speakers and head units is, what exactly, as far as sound quality, changes between head units? Does it just come down to the way that the equalizer / sound mixer works with each head unit? Finally, does a single din vs double din change audio quality, ie. would dropping the extra money to get a double din head unit really improve my experience over getting a simple single din head unit, which I plan to do until much further down the road, primarily because all I really need is an auxiliary port, or even better, Bluetooth functionality.

Old 11-19-2013, 08:47 PM

If you want a recommended set up:

2 RE audio XXX 6.5 w/ components(front and back they come with crossovers) 600$
1 RE Audio USX4250 600w RMS 4channel amp $180

2 RE Audio 12" DV4 SXX 2 (rated 1000 rms can handle 1500) $460
2 RE Audio CTX 4200.1 (360)

Total: 1,600
plus 4-5qbft ported box @32hz is optimal for those subs
plus speaker wire (10awg for 6.5, 8awg for subs, wire subs down to 1ohm)

also wouldn't hurt squeezing in an extra bat and higher output alt

if your not into RE Audio I'd also recommend Focal (for your 6.5's and components)
as far as subs/amps you get what you pay for
even bigger names like JL, Memphis,Rockford your not getting a good sub without paying a good dollar for them, these SXX's are competitors to Kickers L7's and trust me these SXX's beat hell of a lot harder than L7's, I've owned both, I experiment with cheap equipment also (boss) I did have a single 15 on a 2000watt amp and fried it within the month but that sub still would make my rear view mirror fall down