Interior/Audio/Visual Electronics Discuss your audio/visual system and your interior here.

bypass e-break to watch dvds while driving??

Search this Thread

Old 05-30-2009, 08:00 AM
Question bypass e-break to watch dvds while driving??

i purchased a clarion dvd in-dash unit yesterday, very happy with it except for the fact it has a safty feature which doesnt allow you to watch dvds unless the car is parked with the e-break on.

i've read other brands have a bypass code that you enter on the remote to get around this but clarion brands dont.. anyone know of a way to bypass mine

its a clarion VRX485VD

Old 05-30-2009, 08:07 AM

except for the fact it has a safty feature which doesnt allow you to watch dvds unless the car is parked with the e-break on.

Hi Nuffy, I wonder why they did something like that
lol ~lol
I'm sure one of our member's that watches vid's & drives
will post how 2 do it.
I just like to hear the sounds of a powerful V-8 when I
drive & keep my spaced `out mind on the road : )
Good Luck/Be Safe

Old 05-30-2009, 08:32 AM
STILL SLOW
Monte Of The Month -- May 2010
10 Year Member
5 Year Member3 Year Member1 Year Member

Stick the parking break in enough that it doesnt catch but enough that the light comes on.

Old 05-30-2009, 09:24 AM

yeah i tried that, but soon as it comes out of park , the car starts ringing a chime... unless you know of a way to isable the ebrake chime.. fuse maybe?

i also tried bending a lil metal tab near on the base of the pedal so it contact a specific spot and shows the ebrake light on without having to push it in at all.. but same prob.. the warning chime goes off when i put it into drive

Old 05-30-2009, 10:27 AM

Monte Of The Month -- July 2009
I'M NOT OLD, I'M JUST WELL MARINATED.
5 Year Member

Ive been racking my brain when i read this post this morning when it hit. If my memory serves me right, its looking for a ground from the parking e-brake. If tahts the case, then in theory you can just tie it in together with the black wire (ground) from your radio and it will always think it has the e-brake connected.

I looked for the owners manual and found it.

http://akamaipix.crutchfield.com/Man.../020V485VD.PDF

and on page 46 of 49, it confirmed what i was thinking. Its looking for a ground. So you can either connect it to the black wire or put a micro switch. One side to ground. the other to the wire for the e-brake.

Hope this helps.

Old 05-30-2009, 11:43 AM

I have a clarion double din. I have the answer for ya... Ill take a pic or two to show you what I did. I have it rigged up to a switch. You need to flip the switch once, then turn it off, then turn it on. I dunno why... but it just does it.

Old 05-30-2009, 05:04 PM

thanks for the help all.. the toggle switch does work! now i can watch the trailer park boys while driving !!
all i did was put the green e-brake wire on the toggle then grounded another under the dash. flip it on and off a couple of times and it will work

Last edited by Nuffy; 05-30-2009 at 05:07 PM.
Old 05-30-2009, 05:05 PM

Monte Of The Month -- April 2011
GOT SPL

take the parking brake from the head unit and attach it to the ground from the head unit and then attach them both to the ground wire. it will work to play dvd while driving. i have a kenwood

Old 05-31-2009, 10:25 AM

glad to see ya got it working. its kinda annoying to turn it on and off a few times... but its whatever. Ill let ya know if I figure out a way to change that.

Old 06-30-2009, 12:48 AM

Originally Posted by jaws2008
take the parking brake from the head unit and attach it to the ground from the head unit and then attach them both to the ground wire. it will work to play dvd while driving. i have a kenwood
i have a kenwood flip out screen as well and grounding the black wire works like a charm. i prefer to play music vid dvds while driving. i glance at them ....um........ only while at the red lighthttps://montecarloforum.com/forum/images/icons/icon10.gif