Interior/Audio/Visual Electronics Discuss your audio/visual system and your interior here.

Basic Stock Stereo Questions

Search this Thread

Old 12-04-2010, 11:27 AM

idk never hurts to ask.

Old 12-05-2010, 04:58 PM

Originally Posted by Joe Bloggs
I have a 2007 Monte Carlo LT. I read some reviews about the car and it says that the LT models come with 6 speakers. I can only locate four (2 rear speakers in the trunk and 2 front speakers in the doors). Does anyone know where the other two speakers are located?

Also, I noticed all Chevy's pretty much use the same stereo system. It seems like my stereo is softer than other Chevy's with the same system. My front speakers just don't seem to put out the same quality sound as other Chevy's. I am wondering if it is the accoustics of the car or if others notice that. I fade a little extra to the back to clear up the sound. Where is the amplifier located?
There's actually 2 speakers in each front door, a mid and a tweeter, plus the two 6x9's out back. Do you know if the speakers are factory? Reason I ask is because alot of the MC's i've seen have 2 ohms speakers in them so if they were replaced with aftermarket (most likely 4ohm models) then they would be noticeably quieter than stock. I think the amp is mounted in the trunk between the 6x9's.

Originally Posted by Dbl_D718
There's not really much you can do to enhance the sound without swapping components out for aftermarket ones. Basic speaker changes aren't very hard, but you would want an aftermarket amp to get them playing to their full potential because they're less efficient, so they need more power to play at the same volume.
What speakers do you run? I don't know about you but the speakers I run are far more efficient than stock, and sound way better too. In most cases, regarding these MC's, the problem isn't the efficiency of the speaker as much as it is the impedance. These MC's have 2 ohms speakers in them and when people replace them and keep the factory audio otherwise, they usually get 4 ohm speakers which effectively half the power output of the factory amp. That's why they seemingly need more power to play at the same volume.