Monte Carlo Forum - Monte Carlo Enthusiast Forums

Monte Carlo Forum - Monte Carlo Enthusiast Forums (https://montecarloforum.com/forum/)
-   Interior/Audio/Visual Electronics (https://montecarloforum.com/forum/interior-audio-visual-electronics-11/)
-   -   Basic Stock Stereo Questions (https://montecarloforum.com/forum/interior-audio-visual-electronics-11/basic-stock-stereo-questions-17041/)

Joe Bloggs 11-09-2009 03:56 PM

Basic Stock Stereo Questions

I have a 2007 Monte Carlo LT. I read some reviews about the car and it says that the LT models come with 6 speakers. I can only locate four (2 rear speakers in the trunk and 2 front speakers in the doors). Does anyone know where the other two speakers are located?

Also, I noticed all Chevy's pretty much use the same stereo system. It seems like my stereo is softer than other Chevy's with the same system. My front speakers just don't seem to put out the same quality sound as other Chevy's. I am wondering if it is the accoustics of the car or if others notice that. I fade a little extra to the back to clear up the sound. Where is the amplifier located?

monte carlo 3831 11-09-2009 04:05 PM

i brought that same question up before about the 6 speakers, i'm not big into stereos but there are actually 2 speakers in you front speaker. someone should be able to explain it better, hopefully

Joe Bloggs 11-09-2009 04:11 PM

I appreciate the response. I am also wondering if there is anything I can do to enhance the sound without digging into too much work with pulling the car apart.

monte carlo 3831 11-09-2009 04:17 PM

i don't want to hog up your thread but there is a member here who has an 06LT and he has done some incredible work on his car including adding an amp in the trunk? forgive me if i don't know all the right terminology but stereo stuff is not a major issue for me, i just need a basic radio, that's all, member MAMONTE will be able to hopefully give you some input. good luck with it!!

edit: my bad, i think it was a sub that MAMONTE(michael) added, sorry

Dbl_D718 11-09-2009 04:29 PM

Yeah the six speakers are your two rear speakers, two door speakers, and two tweeters also mounted in the doors. I can't say for sure on an 06/07 Monte, but the amp is likely in the trunk somewhere. In 00-04 models, it's hanging from the rear deck in the trunk.

There's not really much you can do to enhance the sound without swapping components out for aftermarket ones. Basic speaker changes aren't very hard, but you would want an aftermarket amp to get them playing to their full potential because they're less efficient, so they need more power to play at the same volume. You could also add a sub in the trunk, but that too involves adding an aftermarket amp. It's easily doable to add an amp to the factory stereo, but it's generally "better" to use an aftermarket headunit for amp installs. That's the annoying thing about car audio...upgrading one thing kinda snowballs into upgrading everything lol.

Joe Bloggs 11-10-2009 08:04 AM

I checked into a new head unit,, Pioneer,, and I was told I need a 250 dollar adapter due to the new style electronics used by Chevy. My older cars just needed a 30 dollar adapter. Is this true?

Also, if I purchase a new "high power" head unit and purchase this adapter, will it end up going through the stock amp resulting in the same level output I already have? or will the amp need to be bypassed by manual intervention? I am afraid if I buy this new high power amp and convert it with the adapter,, it will result in the same level sound because it will be directed into the stock amp before hitting the speakers.

Dbl_D718 11-10-2009 10:03 AM

You do need a more expensive module to run an aftermarket headunit, but it's not 250 bucks. It's more around 100, and then another ~60 dollar module if you want to keep your steering wheel radio controls. It definitely sucks compared to cars where a simple wiring adapter works.

Whether or not you bypass the amp is up to you. It'll take a little extra wiring effort to bypass the amp, but it won't be too bad. The adapter you get to install the headunit will allow you to go either route, and I think mine had instructions on how to do it either way.

Crusader SS 12-04-2010 09:33 AM

I've been searching the site and can't seem to find the answer... I want to keep all of my stock stereo components in the car... I do want to add an iPod/MP3 plugin (forgive my lack of technical terms, I'm more of a gear head than audio guy) is this possible on a 2002 Monte ss?... Also is there anyway of beefing up the stock unit without any major changes?... Just want the system to function at maximum capacity... Thanks... :confused::D

eviling 12-04-2010 09:41 AM

there is an ipod modual for the stock deck. its been awhile since ive seen it, but it should be pretty googleable. just google that up and i'm sure you'll come across something.

far as the 6 speakers, the 2 up front are 2 way speakers. there's a tweeter for each woofer up front, which means your range is much better, you'll have better SQ :) and they all come stock with amp's. so most monte owners don't even bother replacing the stock system. most, i did though :D

Crusader SS 12-04-2010 09:53 AM

Originally Posted by eviling (Post 279225)
there is an ipod modual for the stock deck. its been awhile since ive seen it, but it should be pretty googleable. just google that up and i'm sure you'll come across something.

far as the 6 speakers, the 2 up front are 2 way speakers. there's a tweeter for each woofer up front, which means your range is much better, you'll have better SQ :) and they all come stock with amp's. so most monte owners don't even bother replacing the stock system. most, i did though :D

Thanks, I'll search it... Wonder if the dealer would carry a module that would maintain the steering wheel controls?... Thanks again... :D