Interior/Audio/Visual Electronics Discuss your audio/visual system and your interior here.

Aftermarket speakers sound is worst than stock! HELP!!!!

Search this Thread

Old 06-15-2010, 04:20 PM
Taz

Monte Of The Month -- March 2014
15 Year Member
10 Year Member5 Year Member3 Year Member1 Year Member

Here's a link to thread describing the procedure.

How to remove door panel -- Click here.

Old 06-15-2010, 09:23 PM

Originally Posted by ChevyWhirlwind
Yea man, I went back and talked to the manager who I am cool with (side note- my monte carlo and me are in their commercial) I got a full refund and the guy got bitched at right in my face! LOL.

Now, the whole proplem is that the speakers I have now have good clarity, but low bass. I am a bass type of guy.

So for my next move, I am thinking about purchasing 2 infinity 110 watt (rms) 6x9s and 2 75 watt (rms) 6.5s. Do you think this would be a good fit?
Good!

If you're a bass kind of guy then i'm sure you're gonna need more than aftermarket speakers run off the factory amp to satisfy you. I mean, I was pretty damn impressed with how much bass my 6x9's gave me when run off that amp but I just didn't have the volume I really wanted so I had to go and get some generic 12's and a generic amp to run them until I could save up for what I really wanted. And the funny part about that is the measly 600 watts rms POS amp I was running back then put way more of a strain on my electrical system than my current 2000 watts rms setup does. I would have never believed it had I not seen it firsthand but thats my word!

I would take the advice of srbecker58! Buy front components and some nice 3 ways for the rear. Infinity makes some good speakers so I think you'll be happy with them but I'd definitely go with components. If you get the speakers you're thinking about, I'd get an amp that does 75 rms x 4 @ 4ohms...you'll be set!

Originally Posted by srbecker58
I replaced my fronts with Kicker 6.5" components, rears with Kicker 6x9 3 ways and a kicker 350.4 amp, mounted the amp on a hanging bracket from the rear speaker deck and Ill tell you, its crisp, loud, clear and way better than most of my friends systems with 10" woofers.
they must have gotten their systems hooked up at the same place as this guy then!

Old 06-17-2010, 02:01 PM

Originally Posted by 04MonteLS
Good!

If you're a bass kind of guy then i'm sure you're gonna need more than aftermarket speakers run off the factory amp to satisfy you. I mean, I was pretty damn impressed with how much bass my 6x9's gave me when run off that amp but I just didn't have the volume I really wanted so I had to go and get some generic 12's and a generic amp to run them until I could save up for what I really wanted. And the funny part about that is the measly 600 watts rms POS amp I was running back then put way more of a strain on my electrical system than my current 2000 watts rms setup does. I would have never believed it had I not seen it firsthand but thats my word!

I would take the advice of srbecker58! Buy front components and some nice 3 ways for the rear. Infinity makes some good speakers so I think you'll be happy with them but I'd definitely go with components. If you get the speakers you're thinking about, I'd get an amp that does 75 rms x 4 @ 4ohms...you'll be set!

they must have gotten their systems hooked up at the same place as this guy then!

These are the speakers I am thinking about buying in a bundle http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll...=STRK:MEWAX:IT.

Do components sound that much better? Or is this a good deal right here? I just want to know before I spend my $$ this time.

Old 06-17-2010, 05:28 PM

I have, and very much like, the 6x9s Kappas. Make sure you match your amp to the speakers. Those Kappas don't like noisy amps.

Old 06-17-2010, 08:37 PM

These are the speakers I am thinking about buying in a bundle http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll...=STRK:MEWAX:IT.

Do components sound that much better? Or is this a good deal right here? I just want to know before I spend my $$ this time.
Yes, components sound that much better. BUT, it's gonna cost more too, not just for the speakers themselves but also for installation whether you do it yourself or have a shop do it. Just the holesaw alone is gonna cost you at least $15. You'll have to buy a 4ch amp and speaker wire, amp kit, etc. So if you're just looking for a decent upgrade from stock for the time being then I'd say go for it, but if you want to do it right the first time then I say put your stocks back in, save up a little more money and do it right.

If it were me, I'd get Infinity comps and 6x9's and a respectable 4ch amp to push them. I know how it feels to want it and want it now, believe me, my current setup sat in my house for at least 3 months before I was able to get it all put it, it was torture. But I always look at it like this, i've been without it this long, another month or two isn't gonna hurt.

I'm glad you're not panicking this time and are asking for advice/suggestions before making a seat of the pants decision on things. I can tell you want your audio to sound sweet and nothing sucks more than paying 2 and 3 times for stuff to get to that point so I highly suggest you think about what your ultimate goal is for your car's system and go from there. Meaning, if you ultimately want components, might as well get them now instead of buying another set of coax, for example.

Old 06-18-2010, 06:39 AM

04 Monte hit it right on the nose. Its worth the wait and the money. Just some insight if you do happen to do go with the comps and want to make installation a little bit easier. For starters, we have stock amps in the rear up under the back deck, as well as tweeters in the doors. Atleast I believe everyone has this setup, even if you dont have the upgraded sound system. You can drill out the stock tweeter location and put the new tweeter in that location. A lot of people like putting the tweeters on the dash or higher up on the door, but in reality, the best sound composition comes when the tweeter is within 6 inches from the mid range speaker. A lot of people get this idea confused with the location of the crossover, which can actually be placed anywhere. That being said I then got a wiring diagram for the speakers and amp and cut the wires from the amp and rewired to the new 4 channel amp right there in the trunk. Worked out awesome and is real clean! Ill take some pics for you this afternoon. I also wired the crossovers right in the tunk, also mounted up under the rear deck. Makes them easily accessable! I love how everything sounds, by far the cleanest sound of my area.

Old 06-18-2010, 09:02 AM

Originally Posted by 04MonteLS
Yes, components sound that much better. BUT, it's gonna cost more too, not just for the speakers themselves but also for installation whether you do it yourself or have a shop do it. Just the holesaw alone is gonna cost you at least $15. You'll have to buy a 4ch amp and speaker wire, amp kit, etc. So if you're just looking for a decent upgrade from stock for the time being then I'd say go for it, but if you want to do it right the first time then I say put your stocks back in, save up a little more money and do it right.

If it were me, I'd get Infinity comps and 6x9's and a respectable 4ch amp to push them. I know how it feels to want it and want it now, believe me, my current setup sat in my house for at least 3 months before I was able to get it all put it, it was torture. But I always look at it like this, i've been without it this long, another month or two isn't gonna hurt.

I'm glad you're not panicking this time and are asking for advice/suggestions before making a seat of the pants decision on things. I can tell you want your audio to sound sweet and nothing sucks more than paying 2 and 3 times for stuff to get to that point so I highly suggest you think about what your ultimate goal is for your car's system and go from there. Meaning, if you ultimately want components, might as well get them now instead of buying another set of coax, for example.
Yup I actually did research and I am going to get the components and 3 way 6x9's. My little brother is a techy guy he built up a (84 monte carlo a year ago and sold it for $30,000....he baught the thing at a junk yard for $1,500!!) just havent been in town. Hes comin back next week so we both might install everything once I get it.

So you are saying I need the amp in order to install the components and rear 6x9s? How would it sound without the amp?

Also, I read I can just replace the aftermarket tweeter with the factory tweeter and just place the crossover on the door somewhere with velcro. Is this right?

Thanks for your help i know its a million questions!

Old 06-18-2010, 09:09 AM

04 Monte hit it right on the nose. Its worth the wait and the money. Just some insight if you do happen to do go with the comps and want to make installation a little bit easier. For starters, we have stock amps in the rear up under the back deck, as well as tweeters in the doors. Atleast I believe everyone has this setup, even if you dont have the upgraded sound system. You can drill out the stock tweeter location and put the new tweeter in that location. A lot of people like putting the tweeters on the dash or higher up on the door, but in reality, the best sound composition comes when the tweeter is within 6 inches from the mid range speaker. A lot of people get this idea confused with the location of the crossover, which can actually be placed anywhere. That being said I then got a wiring diagram for the speakers and amp and cut the wires from the amp and rewired to the new 4 channel amp right there in the trunk. Worked out awesome and is real clean! Ill take some pics for you this afternoon. I also wired the crossovers right in the tunk, also mounted up under the rear deck. Makes them easily accessable! I love how everything sounds, by far the cleanest sound of my area.
I dont have a factory amp in my monte carlo. I checked my rear deck and I was already pretty sure i dont have one. Ok thanks for the soon posted pics man! Once this is done Im going to post pics for you guys.

I am going to purchase the infinity amp thats 90 w rms x 4 @ 2 ohs. Which should fit perfectly with my components and speakers.

Old 06-18-2010, 09:27 AM

04 Monte hit it right on the nose. Its worth the wait and the money. A lot of people like putting the tweeters on the dash or higher up on the door, but in reality, the best sound composition comes when the tweeter is within 6 inches from the mid range speaker.
IF you just use the suupplied passive xover. I don't, I run my comps active via head unit (but power comes from my CDT 4ch amp), which also has time alignment built in so I can adjust it as needed to ensure ideal soundstage and imaging

Yup I actually did research and I am going to get the components and 3 way 6x9's.

So you are saying I need the amp in order to install the components and rear 6x9s? How would it sound without the amp?

Also, I read I can just replace the aftermarket tweeter with the factory tweeter and just place the crossover on the door somewhere with velcro. Is this right?
Good choice!

It's possible to run them off your deck, but they're going to be severely underpowered and won't sound as good as you want them to, definitely wouldn't be a practical upgrade considering how much it's gonna cost you to upgrade the speakers. If you just want to run something off deck power stick with the Kappa package you posted earlier. I ran comps up front and 6x9's off my factory amp and it sounded better, more crisp and clean but didn't get as loud as factory. You likely won't have that problem since you have an aftermarket deck, IIRC. But I will say this though, yeah I ran my comps off factory amp but I also fried the supplied xover in doing so too....guess I turned up the volume too loud too many times, I dunno. I just know that I'll never run comps off factory deck/amp ever again and I don't suggest you do either. You're been running stocks this long bro, just save a little more and get the 4ch amp and install it all at the same time, trust me you'll be glad you did.

You can mount the xover wherever you want, I suggest close to your amp simply for easy access. Yes, you can mount your tweeter in the factory location, that's actually how I had mine once upon a time.

I am going to purchase the infinity amp thats 90 w rms x 4 @ 2 ohs. Which should fit perfectly with my components and speakers.
Nice choice!

Old 06-20-2010, 09:14 PM

there is no need for the amp. if you get different speakers with a higher rms and the freq respons is higer than mabey. but like everyone eles is saying you probley have pos and neg crossed.

Quick Reply: Aftermarket speakers sound is worst than stock! HELP!!!!