Interior/Audio/Visual Electronics Discuss your audio/visual system and your interior here.

Aftermarket speakers sound is worst than stock! HELP!!!!

Old 06-12-2010, 09:31 AM
Default Aftermarket speakers sound is worst than stock! HELP!!!!

Ok, I have a 06 Monte Carlo LT. No AMP and I have an aftermarket head unit installed. My aftermarket head unit and stock speakers sounded good together but I wanted better sound so I purchased 2 6.5 and 2 6x9 pioneer premier speakers. My aftermarket speakers were installed yesterday and the sound is horrible. NO BASS. It does sound a little crisper at low level but as I turn the volume up it gets distorted and the BASS sucks!!!! I have gotten 2 conclusions from this, either the positive and negative wires are switched or my head unit can not support the wattage and I need an amp. Help please!!!!

Here is the rundown......

HEAD UNIT= 60X4

6.5'S=35 RMS EACH

6X9'S=40 RMS EACH

Old 06-12-2010, 10:53 AM

Originally Posted by ChevyWhirlwind
Ok, I have a 06 Monte Carlo LT. No AMP and I have an aftermarket head unit installed. My aftermarket head unit and stock speakers sounded good together but I wanted better sound so I purchased 2 6.5 and 2 6x9 pioneer premier speakers. My aftermarket speakers were installed yesterday and the sound is horrible. NO BASS. It does sound a little crisper at low level but as I turn the volume up it gets distorted and the BASS sucks!!!! I have gotten 2 conclusions from this, either the positive and negative wires are switched or my head unit can not support the wattage and I need an amp. Help please!!!!

Here is the rundown......

HEAD UNIT= 60X4

6.5'S=35 RMS EACH

6X9'S=40 RMS EACH
What do you mean you need help? You want me to come out there and check the wiring on the speakers for your and the settings on your deck? Now way you should need an amp for speakers rated so low, your deck should be able to hand that easily. I'm thinking either one or some of your speakers are reveresed polarity and/or some settings in your deck aren't quite right.

Old 06-12-2010, 10:54 AM

If the wires were swapped, I don't think the speakers would work at all. I'm no expert though. But if you just got them put in yesterday, try taking it back up to the place that installed them and ask them about it. Good luck on getting it fixed.

~Chris

Old 06-12-2010, 11:03 AM

For sure check to see if the pos/neg is switched, it will do that exactly. If everything is new, I can almost garuntee thats the problem. Another thing that could have happened (and this has happened to me) if the place you took it to spliced wires to hook up the speakers, there is the possability they didnt seclude each wire perfect and there might be a posotive and a negetive wire touching each other, that will do the whole distortion thing as well. It doesnt even have to be a pos/neg from the same channel, it can be from two different speakers. So, check the polarity and make sure all the wires are secluded from each other. Good luck.

Old 06-12-2010, 11:05 AM

Originally Posted by Kozentaru
If the wires were swapped, I don't think the speakers would work at all. I'm no expert though. But if you just got them put in yesterday, try taking it back up to the place that installed them and ask them about it. Good luck on getting it fixed.

~Chris
Not trying to bag on you or be rude by any means, but the speakers will work if polarity is swiched and it will do this same exact thing he is describing. Just wanting to get the right info out there.
And if you keep playing your stereo with this happening, it will ruin it very shortly.

Old 06-12-2010, 12:29 PM

Originally Posted by 04MonteLS
What do you mean you need help? You want me to come out there and check the wiring on the speakers for your and the settings on your deck? Now way you should need an amp for speakers rated so low, your deck should be able to hand that easily. I'm thinking either one or some of your speakers are reveresed polarity and/or some settings in your deck aren't quite right.
+1 i was thinking the samething about the speakers being hooked up wrong.

Old 06-12-2010, 12:56 PM

Thanks alot Im going to take it back on Monday. Ill keep you guys updated.

Old 06-12-2010, 02:53 PM

Originally Posted by 04MonteLS
LOL I wanted help because I was about 60% sure this was the case but I got it done by a professional shop instead of doing it myself for this reason! Im going to take it back on Monday and keep u guys updated.

I already panicked and bought a pioneer amp. Will this help any once I get the speakers working properly?

Thanks for your input

*I needed answers fast thats y i posted twice lol*

Old 06-12-2010, 03:20 PM
Taz

Monte Of The Month -- March 2014
15 Year Member
10 Year Member5 Year Member3 Year Member1 Year Member

I combined the two threads into this one thread. So there are no longer duplicate threads.

Good luck on your sound problem ChevyWhirlwind. Let us know how you make out.

Old 06-12-2010, 05:32 PM

Originally Posted by ChevyWhirlwind
LOL I wanted help because I was about 60% sure this was the case but I got it done by a professional shop instead of doing it myself for this reason! Im going to take it back on Monday and keep u guys updated.

I already panicked and bought a pioneer amp. Will this help any once I get the speakers working properly?

Thanks for your input

*I needed answers fast thats y i posted twice lol*
I'm not questioning why you wanted/needed help, just a friendly heads up about posting duplicate threads

What are you expecting the amp to help, exactly?

Yeah, we all need answers fast at some point or another but in that case all you'd need to do is simply bump the old thread instead of posting a new one in the wrong forum.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Aftermarket speakers sound is worst than stock! HELP!!!!