Interior/Audio/Visual Electronics Discuss your audio/visual system and your interior here.

Aftermarket speakers sound is worst than stock! HELP!!!!

Search this Thread

Old 06-12-2010, 05:37 PM

Well, you might, MIGHT get some better sound quality with the amp depending on how you tune it. You probably could get it to be a little louder with the amp. But other than that, you dont NEED it. It is a good thing to have though?? Of course, dont hook it up while you're having this problem. I wouldnt even use the stereo AT ALL if its distorted.

Old 06-12-2010, 06:00 PM
Taz

Monte Of The Month -- March 2014
15 Year Member
10 Year Member5 Year Member3 Year Member1 Year Member

Quickly swapping the wires around on each speaker might be something to try. If it is your speakers simply plugged in wrong, it should clear up immediately. If not, turn off your stereo and bring it in to the installer.

Old 06-13-2010, 09:47 AM

Originally Posted by wht02monte
Well, you might, MIGHT get some better sound quality with the amp depending on how you tune it. You probably could get it to be a little louder with the amp. But other than that, you dont NEED it. It is a good thing to have though?? Of course, dont hook it up while you're having this problem. I wouldnt even use the stereo AT ALL if its distorted.
Ok, im gritting my teeth until monday. Riding around with no sound isn't cool. I atleast get to hear my engine right .

But at low volume my speakers work ok just no bass I can hear everything crisp and clear. Just wen I turn it up past medium to loud it gets distorted.

Also I got 3 way speakers so this should sound way better than factory correct?

Come on Monday!!!

Old 06-13-2010, 12:07 PM

Monte Of The Month -- July 2009
I'M NOT OLD, I'M JUST WELL MARINATED.
5 Year Member

Here is something you can do to check to see if you are Out Of Phase ( thats the correct term ).

Turn your radio on and first check your balance. Move the setting from one side to the other. Now check your Fade from front to back. Does that improve the low tones? If it does, then your speakers are out of phase.

Go back to the shop that installed the headunit and have them correct the problem. Its just a simple switching of wires. One of your speakers are wired in backwards.

Old 06-13-2010, 12:08 PM

Originally Posted by ChevyWhirlwind
Ok, im gritting my teeth until monday. Riding around with no sound isn't cool. I atleast get to hear my engine right .

But at low volume my speakers work ok just no bass I can hear everything crisp and clear. Just wen I turn it up past medium to loud it gets distorted.

Also I got 3 way speakers so this should sound way better than factory correct?

Come on Monday!!!
Does it sound hollow or tinny as well? I'm pretty sure one of the following is what's going on:

1. They got the wires crossed on your speakers, one or more.
2. They used the wrong set of speaker wire to run your front speakers (stock, there are two sets of speaker wire, one for mid, one for tweet.)
3. Settings in your head unit aren't quite right

I wish you were more willing to learn and had some patience cause I could walk you through the process of going in and finding the problem on your own....this is one of the benefits of working on your car yourself, you aren't at the mercy of a shops business hours

Old 06-13-2010, 03:28 PM

Yes, okay, out of phase right? Polarity has to do with AC or DC current, but alot of people use "polarity" anyway and it is well known as pos/neg hook up when talking about stereos. But if the wires are crossed, it will still distort if you turn it up too much (I think, im not sure on that). And Im pretty sure you can still do some damage even if its not distorting but the wires are crossed.

Old 06-13-2010, 04:19 PM

Originally Posted by wht02monte
Yes, okay, out of phase right? Polarity has to do with AC or DC current, but alot of people use "polarity" anyway and it is well known as pos/neg hook up when talking about stereos. But if the wires are crossed, it will still distort if you turn it up too much (I think, im not sure on that). And Im pretty sure you can still do some damage even if its not distorting but the wires are crossed.
Are you insenuating that use of the term "reverse polarity" regarding this issue here is not correct?

polarity - the particular state either positive or negative with reference to the two poles or to electrification

Maybe this is one of those instances where a word in our language can have multiple definitions based on it's use cause from that definition above it seems like the term is a perfect fit.

Old 06-13-2010, 05:20 PM

Originally Posted by The Popcorn King
Here is something you can do to check to see if you are Out Of Phase ( thats the correct term ).

Turn your radio on and first check your balance. Move the setting from one side to the other. Now check your Fade from front to back. Does that improve the low tones? If it does, then your speakers are out of phase.

Go back to the shop that installed the headunit and have them correct the problem. Its just a simple switching of wires. One of your speakers are wired in backwards.

Ok I checked the rear/front right/left balance and it seems like the rear 6x9's sound lower than my front 6.5's. Im figuring that the rear ones were hooked up wrong. Plus my rear speakers have more watts than the front ones.

**Does anyone know the factory speakers watt ratings?

**Also if one speakers wires are reversed will this effect all other speakers in the car?

Last edited by ChevyWhirlwind; 06-13-2010 at 05:25 PM.
Old 06-13-2010, 05:23 PM

Originally Posted by 04MonteLS
Does it sound hollow or tinny as well? I'm pretty sure one of the following is what's going on:

1. They got the wires crossed on your speakers, one or more.
2. They used the wrong set of speaker wire to run your front speakers (stock, there are two sets of speaker wire, one for mid, one for tweet.)
3. Settings in your head unit aren't quite right

I wish you were more willing to learn and had some patience cause I could walk you through the process of going in and finding the problem on your own....this is one of the benefits of working on your car yourself, you aren't at the mercy of a shops business hours
Yea I couldve did it myself but Im too busy right now. Now Im thinking I shouldve just did it myself.

Nevertheless.... I did pay 60 bucks to get em installed so im not gone be the one fixing this issue.

Old 06-13-2010, 06:23 PM
Taz

Monte Of The Month -- March 2014
15 Year Member
10 Year Member5 Year Member3 Year Member1 Year Member

I'm with ya. You paid them to do the job and they screwed it up. Make them fix it.

Sure you could do it yourself with the help of everyone here. And normally I would encourage you to do it yourself. But this is a matter of principle now.

Make them fix their mistake this time. But next time maybe try doing the job yourself. There's lots of people here who have already done it, who can give you helpful advice.

Quick Reply: Aftermarket speakers sound is worst than stock! HELP!!!!