Interior/Audio/Visual Electronics Discuss your audio/visual system and your interior here.

Aftermarket speakers sound is worst than stock! HELP!!!!

Search this Thread

Old 06-13-2010, 10:23 PM
Default Buy infinity's or polk.

I had the exact same problem back when I had a civic, the pioneers i bought sounded worse than the stock paper stock speakers, i went back to circuit city and the sales rep told me tha I was expecting too much from the speakers and i needed to buy $500 of amp speakers and other junk.
long story short, a week later i went back and spoke to the INSTALLER, he told me that i needed i higher HIGHER QUALITY speakers so i had infinity's installed i did have to pay about $100 difference for all 4 speakers BUT I was so happy with the mid bass, i paid about 90.00 for each pair.

Old 06-14-2010, 01:21 PM

Originally Posted by albert1
I had the exact same problem back when I had a civic, the pioneers i bought sounded worse than the stock paper stock speakers, i went back to circuit city and the sales rep told me tha I was expecting too much from the speakers and i needed to buy $500 of amp speakers and other junk.
long story short, a week later i went back and spoke to the INSTALLER, he told me that i needed i higher HIGHER QUALITY speakers so i had infinity's installed i did have to pay about $100 difference for all 4 speakers BUT I was so happy with the mid bass, i paid about 90.00 for each pair.
So there could be a chance that my pioneer speakers are horrible? In that case I will put my factory speakers back in untill I purchase some higher quality speakers.

I just cant stomach that the pioneer premier speakers sounds worse than my stock. Couple Hours before I talk to the installer at "Big boys toys". Who suppose to be international professional installers.

Old 06-14-2010, 04:57 PM

OK here is the update. The guy swore up and down that the speakers were connected properly and for me to come back! In the morning.....So I take it I am just expecting to much from the speakers???? So today I am going to take them out myself and reverse the wires to see if I hear a difference. If they are in fact just weak speakers I am going to reinstall my stock speakers!

A man gotta get his hands dirty...Ill keep you all updated on this wild goose chase for good sound!

Old 06-14-2010, 07:53 PM
Exclamation Final Update

FINAL UPDATE---------------------------------------------------------

I checked out the rear 6x9s and one of the wires was not taped all the way and not tight. I fixed this and the speakers sounds just like my stock speakers sounded. Just a little weee bit better. I guess I was expecting too much from these speakers.....

So I have a 760 watt 2 channel pioneer amp coming in the mail. My final question is will this make the speakers sound that much better? Or should I just purchase some higher quality speakers?

Old 06-14-2010, 11:07 PM

There's a difference between high expectations and distortion. I replaced my front speakers back in the day with some Rainbow components and ran them off my factory amp for a looooooooooong time with no problems. They sounded better than stock but didn't get as loud due to the higher impedance of the components. I replaced my rear speakers with Polk Audio EXII 6x9's, 3 ways, and the clarity was impressive given all that was changed out was the speakers. I even have a video of my 6x9's and the bass response I got from them that I'll post up in a few. These speakers were run off the factory amp, which puts out the same power as most aftermarket decks nowadays, 50x4. So I can't imagine power was the problem, or expectations. Cause I think any reasonable expectation for aftermarket speakers includes not distorting at half volume.

Old 06-14-2010, 11:41 PM

Originally Posted by ChevyWhirlwind
FINAL UPDATE---------------------------------------------------------

I checked out the rear 6x9s and one of the wires was not taped all the way and not tight. I fixed this and the speakers sounds just like my stock speakers sounded. Just a little weee bit better. I guess I was expecting too much from these speakers.....

So I have a 760 watt 2 channel pioneer amp coming in the mail. My final question is will this make the speakers sound that much better? Or should I just purchase some higher quality speakers?
Wait, wait, wait, wait........you paid a shop to install some speakers for you AND THEY TAPED THE SPEAKER WIRE TO THE SPEAKER TERMINAL??? Do me a favor bro, don't EVER have them do work for you anymore! Whoever did that is a hack and deserves to get called out for it. So what I would do is go back to the shop and speaker to the manager and point out the electrical tape job and the fact that you had to suffer with horrible sound over the weekend due to the tape/wire coming loose. Maybe at least the tool that did it will get bitched at by the manager. I mean come on, it takes all of a minute to strip the wire and crimp on some speaker terminal connectors to give you a nice tight connection. Damn, that's the least they could do since they charged you $60 for the install.

As for the amp and speakers....first thing is this, the speakers you got require very little power at 35 and 40 watts rms each so your deck should be able to handle them nicely. If they're distorting on deck power at half volume, hooking them up to an amp isn't going to make that any better. Secondly, in your haste you bought a 2ch amp which means you're only going to run one set of speakers with it. Lastly, you bought an amp that's rated way higher than your speakers and given the fact that you were hesitant to check for reversed speaker wires i'm not very confident that you'd be able to safely run that amp with your setup even if your speakers could handle it.

I'm going to go out on a limb here and say that amp that claims it does 760 watts (which I bet is peak power, which is absolutely worthless) will put out closer to 380 rms when bridged into 1ch (prolly at 4 ohms too) and 190 rms x 2 @ 2ohms and probably a little over 100 rms x 2 @ 4 ohms. If those speakers are having problems on deck power, they are going to disintegrate when run at twice the amount of power they're rated for. So what I would do if I were you is return the 2ch amp...unless you plan on using it to run a sub or something, and get a 4ch amp (power rating TBD) and use that amp to run all your interior speakers. But I would run different speakers cause if the one's you have are only a wee bit better than stock then you're not gonna be happy. Just make sure the front and rear speakers are within 20-25 watts of each other as far as their rms rating so you can run them off the same amp with no problem.

This is the perfect example of why panicking and overreacting to something is not in your best interest.

Old 06-15-2010, 08:34 AM

Wow, they taped your wires??? Im not sure what even to say about that?? It probably took longer to tape them then to crimp? W...T...F...?

Old 06-15-2010, 09:07 AM

Originally Posted by 04MonteLS
Wait, wait, wait, wait........you paid a shop to install some speakers for you AND THEY TAPED THE SPEAKER WIRE TO THE SPEAKER TERMINAL??? Do me a favor bro, don't EVER have them do work for you anymore! Whoever did that is a hack and deserves to get called out for it. So what I would do is go back to the shop and speaker to the manager and point out the electrical tape job and the fact that you had to suffer with horrible sound over the weekend due to the tape/wire coming loose. Maybe at least the tool that did it will get bitched at by the manager. I mean come on, it takes all of a minute to strip the wire and crimp on some speaker terminal connectors to give you a nice tight connection. Damn, that's the least they could do since they charged you $60 for the install.

As for the amp and speakers....first thing is this, the speakers you got require very little power at 35 and 40 watts rms each so your deck should be able to handle them nicely. If they're distorting on deck power at half volume, hooking them up to an amp isn't going to make that any better. Secondly, in your haste you bought a 2ch amp which means you're only going to run one set of speakers with it. Lastly, you bought an amp that's rated way higher than your speakers and given the fact that you were hesitant to check for reversed speaker wires i'm not very confident that you'd be able to safely run that amp with your setup even if your speakers could handle it.

I'm going to go out on a limb here and say that amp that claims it does 760 watts (which I bet is peak power, which is absolutely worthless) will put out closer to 380 rms when bridged into 1ch (prolly at 4 ohms too) and 190 rms x 2 @ 2ohms and probably a little over 100 rms x 2 @ 4 ohms. If those speakers are having problems on deck power, they are going to disintegrate when run at twice the amount of power they're rated for. So what I would do if I were you is return the 2ch amp...unless you plan on using it to run a sub or something, and get a 4ch amp (power rating TBD) and use that amp to run all your interior speakers. But I would run different speakers cause if the one's you have are only a wee bit better than stock then you're not gonna be happy. Just make sure the front and rear speakers are within 20-25 watts of each other as far as their rms rating so you can run them off the same amp with no problem.

This is the perfect example of why panicking and overreacting to something is not in your best interest.
Yea man, I went back and talked to the manager who I am cool with (side note- my monte carlo and me are in their commercial) I got a full refund and the guy got bitched at right in my face! LOL. These are sapranos type brothers so they dont care. So I clamped the wire myself. I have installed speakers myself before on my caddy sts. I just didnt want to do it myself (now I will do it myself).

Now, the whole proplem is that the speakers I have now have good clarity, but low bass. I am a bass type of guy.

So for my next move, I am thinking about purchasing 2 infinity 110 watt (rms) 6x9s and 2 75 watt (rms) 6.5s.

Do you think this would be a good fit?

Maybe Ill also purchase a 4ch amp depends on how the speakers sound without one......and for the 2ch amp im going to keep it incase I get a sub later on.

Old 06-15-2010, 01:19 PM

Infinity is a great name, but if your going to keep spending your money on speakers and amps and speakers and amps, you might as well just do it once to make yourself happy. Personally, I would purchase components for the front, whether it be Kicker, Infinity, Polk or whatever, but get yourself a nice set of components, a nice set of 6x9 3-way speakers, a decent 4 channel amp and I promise you will be happy. I replaced my fronts with Kicker 6.5" components, rears with Kicker 6x9 3 ways and a kicker 350.4 amp, mounted the amp on a hanging bracket from the rear speaker deck and Ill tell you, its crisp, loud, clear and way better than most of my friends systems with 10" woofers. Hard to believe but true.

Old 06-15-2010, 03:37 PM

Ok, I am now ordering the infinity speakers (which I shouldve did in the first place). I already know how to remove the rear deck. But can anyone walk me through how to remove the door panels? Again thanks alot for all your help!

Quick Reply: Aftermarket speakers sound is worst than stock! HELP!!!!