Interior/Audio/Visual Electronics Discuss your audio/visual system and your interior here.

Aftermarket Radio Issues???

Search this Thread

Old 04-01-2011, 05:45 PM
5 Year Member3 Year Member1 Year Member
Default Aftermarket Radio Issues???

I have an '06 LT w/3.5L Flex MC. I have slowly add all the audio equipment except for a head unit. I heard that these cars have issues with other electrical devices being tied into the radio somehow. Can anyone tell me if this is true or false? Has anyone had any issues out of the last gen MC with an aftermarket radio?

I tried looking around the forum for some answers but I couldn't find any.

Old 04-02-2011, 10:38 AM

The factory radio allows you to change various settings like how long you want the lights to stay on once you exit the car, if you want your car to chirp when you lock or unlock the doors, misc. stuff like that. It also allows you to reset various messages like "low tire pressure", "change oil" (or something to that effect), etc. As far as the settings, for me at least those were a one time deal, set it the way you want it and you're done. Resetting of those messages like listed above can be done manually by following a particular procedure (very easy) depending on what the message is.

Some guys have had good results by taking the deck out altogether, other guys have had issues. 04MonteLS is one that comes to mind. I have done several installations on these Monte's and had a few issues myself early on so now whenever I do one I always suggest using a relocation harness that way you can still retain all the factory functionality, but also have your aftermarket deck and without the worry of causing unnecessary problems.

Old 04-02-2011, 10:58 AM
Monte Of The Month -- September 2010
10 Year Member
5 Year Member3 Year Member1 Year Member

You really don't need to have your stock headunit unless you are going to change settings like if the lights come on or the horn with the keyless entry.

Everything else can be done through the dimmer switch or gas pedals and other things.

A relocation kit is possible but not needed. I'd say if you're worried about it at the very least just keep the stock headunit so you can replace it whenever you feel you may need to change the stock settings.

The 04MonteLS guy had problems because he didn't understand what to do to change the settings after a few people tried to explain it to him.

If you read the manual also there are alternate ways to adjust the settings within the book.

Old 04-02-2011, 01:31 PM

Rich had problems cause he didn't understand what to do? LMAO! That guy was easily the most knowledgeable member this site has ever had when it comes to car audio so that's pretty funny.

I spoke to him since we're both members over on another board and he said "who's trewyn15?" LOL. He assured me the issues with his stereo back then had nothing to do with any settings so he didn't know what you were talking about. He said he's not even sure exactly what the problem was, could have been the deck being gone, could have been the harness he used. But after spending over $600 to fix his car after it started having all those issues, he put his system back in with the factory deck relocated to his glovebox, didn't need the previous harness cause the relocation harness had all that was needed to hook up his aftermarket deck, he hasn't had anymore issues with his car at all.