Interior/Audio/Visual Electronics Discuss your audio/visual system and your interior here.

question about installing an aftermarket radio

Search this Thread

Old 09-18-2006, 09:41 PM
Default question about installing an aftermarket radio

hey wassup everybody. i got a 04 ss and im about ta put in a new radio. i got a kenwood excelon and i need to know if i need a special wireing harness or installation kit. someone told me that the door chime is ran through the radio wires or something like that?? anybody that got any feedback, drop a line. peace.

Old 09-28-2006, 03:19 PM
Default RE: question about installing an aftermarket radio

Yeah, you do have to get a little module thing to make the door chimes work. I had mine done at a local radio shop and they told me about it. I had a Sony put in. the one bad thing I have found is that with an aftermarket radio, I cant go in and make adjustments to the chime volume level. If you read through your manual, all that is done thru the radio. So once the factory radio goes, you cant make those adjustments. Well not on the Sony radio anyway. Maybe on yours you might still be able to?

Old 09-28-2006, 11:26 PM

I have heard that some radios will allow the changes, but not all. Adaptor modules are required for: Onstar, Door chime, and Steering wheel controls. The more factory capabilities you want to keep, the more expensive the installation gets. That's why I opted for the add-on 6 disc changer with FM modulator. That way, I can have full funcionality of my factory radio with the add-on of a changer (my factory head unit is radio/cassette only). I can still monitor oil life and tire pressure, etc.

I plan in the very near future to upgrade to an MP3 changer. The shop where I go allows you to trade in your existing equipment at full purchase value to do any upgrading.

Old 09-29-2006, 12:58 AM

What does the tire monitor have to do with the radio? I thought it was in the dash?

And for the record the Sony Xplod cd players do not work when trying to adjust the stuff you need the factory radio for. It does however (with the adapter) work with steering controls and the door chime thing.

Old 09-29-2006, 03:23 PM

The tire monitor reset is done through through the radio. That's what I was talking about.

Old 10-01-2006, 03:17 PM

Ahh. Did not know that. Seems like I am screwed if the thing ever goes off!!

Old 10-02-2006, 01:39 AM

LOL! I'm sure there is a way around it.

I had an Xplod unit in my truck...does yours make that beeping sound before and after you run the engine?

Old 10-02-2006, 02:25 AM

Yeah, well it did but I went thru the radio options and turned it off so the radio wouldnt beep.

Old 10-02-2006, 03:04 AM

Man!! I wish I knew you could do that!! I hated that beeping.

Old 10-02-2006, 04:42 AM

Hah, dont feel bad. My first sony was installed in my Blazer I traded in for the Monte. I found out a week before I traded it that you could turn it off. Had it for over a year. Annoying sound after the first 100 times you hear it!!! Simple to turn off though, turn the power off on the radio and hold the display button I believe and then you can skip through the options and one of them is beep on or off.

Quick Reply: question about installing an aftermarket radio