Interior/Audio/Visual Electronics Discuss your audio/visual system and your interior here.

Aftermarket head units

Search this Thread

Old 01-19-2008, 08:25 PM
Default Aftermarket head units

Does anyone make an aftermarket CD player that will be compatable with the steering wheel controlls on an '03 SS? I just bought an '03, and checked EVERYTHING out, except the cd player that dont work,lol. There is a button on the stock unit that says "AUX CD" is that for a remote mounted CD changer? Maybe I can get away with buying one of those. If not, I have found a few stock units on E-Bay, but none specify if they are steering wheel controll compatable, is there any difference?
Thanks for any info.

Old 01-19-2008, 08:35 PM
Default RE: Aftermarket head units

What the "aux/cd" is for a ipod or another mp3 player. There is a 3.5mm jack around the face of the deck that allows you to connect the device to.

There is another topic on stering wheel contolls and it is explined in detail.

This is what you need to install a aftermarket deck safley:

Dash Kit:
http://www.crutchfield.com/App/Produ...22&tp=3121

Adapter:
http://www.crutchfield.com/App/Produ...04&tp=3486

One of these adapters for the attena:
http://www.crutchfield.com/App/Produ...00&tp=2569

Steering wheel Adapter:
http://www.crutchfield.com/App/Produ...00&tp=3405

If you buy a factory deck from Ebay you will have to get it reparogramed at the dealer to work with you car.

Old 01-19-2008, 11:52 PM

yeah what he says.

Also dont let everyone tell you wrong you will not lose anythign when you put it in the car with out the interface. Except the following

you will lose the acses to the oil life monitor and othe rfunctions liek this threw the Radio.
You will lose the use of steerign wheel controlls if you dont buy the interface
You will lose the door chimes.

if you ge tthe adaptor you will get all of it but the radio reset fetures back .

I also owna 03SS and i had a after market unit in mine for over 3years before i put the factory version back in figureing i was selling the car.

Old 01-20-2008, 05:17 PM

I am not sure if there is a harness out there to relocate the deck. Kinda like Data Retention like the cavi;s. Well I am not sure if there is one for the 03 gen of the montes. If there is I suggest getting that so you can have the radio reset options.

Old 01-20-2008, 06:27 PM

yeah they have a relocator for the 03. it will allow you to put it in the trunk from the dash.

I have heard both good and bad about it But the price is the worse i have heard beign it over 100.00 for just a harness to relocate the stock stereo. Also with those i have ehard that you lose the steering wheel controlls becuse it wants to work the rear deck

Old 01-20-2008, 10:15 PM

Alright, so I can install an aftermarket head unit and still retain the steering wheel controlls, Nice!
But, what about re-setting the "low tire pressure" light and things of that nature that? I know I can reset the "oil change" by pressing the throttle, but what about low tire pressure. What other "idiot lights" and service due things will I come up with that need to have the stock radio to reset?
Thanks for all the help.