Interior/Audio/Visual Electronics Discuss your audio/visual system and your interior here.

Head units - help me pick one!

Search this Thread

Old 03-06-2011, 10:39 AM
1 Year Member
Default Head units - help me pick one!

Hey yall, broke college girl is back here and wanting to buy a decent head unit to replace my stock one in a couple of months. I want to know what you've all got (or which ones you've had), what you think of them, and your recommendations? will be working with an '05 LT here.

Old 03-06-2011, 10:57 AM

JVC makes nice ones...the one i have has 5 volt outputs from the RCAs which is a nice thing to have. 160 bucks too

Old 03-06-2011, 10:58 AM
1 Year Member

only 160? heck yeah I can do that. what's the model?

Old 03-06-2011, 11:20 AM

what kind of features do you wish to have, and what do you have? its complete stock integration? i'd say the pioneer avh 3200 is a nice featued deck for a reasonable price. they can be had even cheaper on ebay and such. my buddy got one for 200$sh

http://www.sonicelectronix.com/item_...-P3200DVD.html

Old 03-06-2011, 04:41 PM
Monte Of The Month -- May 2012
Monte Of The Year 2012
Monte Of The Month -- February 2017
15 Year Member
10 Year Member5 Year Member3 Year Member1 Year Member

Hello, seems what ever you choose to do, be prepared to spend extra money on an interface unit or be willing to accept that your steering wheel controls for your stereo will no longer work. They are over $100 additional.... Good luck with your upgrade. I installed a Pioneer AVH-P4000DVD unit. Lets you use your IPOD, watch dvd's, and such. prices keep falling on these... let us know how things go. Ebay, pawn shops and even Craigslist are great sources for high quality low cost gear.

Old 03-06-2011, 07:06 PM
Monte Of The Month -- October 2011
Monte Of The Month -- July 2014
RED DEVIL
5 Year Member3 Year Member1 Year Member

pioneer makes really good head units i love the one i have...you can make about anything sound great with it

Old 03-06-2011, 09:30 PM
Monte Of The Month - February 2010
10 Year Member

just wondering and sorry to get off the original topic here. I was wondering about doing something similar to my 06 and still be able to use my existing speakers, amp and steering wheel controls. What should I consider, I want to have GPS and Video, is there a specific model that I could use? I have don't have the bose system, I have the basic stock radio in my car currently. Please let me know what will work with very little hassle installing. Thanks

ps, I'm pretty much clueless on doing anything electrical, I would most likely have it professionally installed.....

Old 03-06-2011, 09:38 PM

Originally Posted by monte carlo 3831
just wondering and sorry to get off the original topic here. I was wondering about doing something similar to my 06 and still be able to use my existing speakers, amp and steering wheel controls. What should I consider, I want to have GPS and Video, is there a specific model that I could use? I have don't have the bose system, I have the basic stock radio in my car currently. Please let me know what will work with very little hassle installing. Thanks

ps, I'm pretty much clueless on doing anything electrical, I would most likely have it professionally installed.....
nothings going to be easy about a GPS unit with all of that. any GPS deck would do that fine. the new sony units are nice, i'm getting one my self, the Sony XNV-770BT, but the 660BT would be perfect probably for ya and can be had around 600$

on another note, i live in Eastern PA, if you're ever in the area i'd gladly do the install for ya for a couple bucks, a shops going to charge you 200$ + for a Navi unit install with steering wheel controls and as complex of an install as that.

http://www.sonicelectronix.com/item_...XNV-660BT.html

everything you need is -

opps, sorry almost linked the wrong gear, yours is a 7th gen, doesnt need a bipass harness.

http://www.sonicelectronix.com/item_...-CRAB-CRA.html

http://www.sonicelectronix.com/item_...8B-GM1598.html

oh and fcor steering wheel controls

http://www.sonicelectronix.com/item_...of-SWI-PS.html

or

http://www.sonicelectronix.com/item_...xess-ASWC.html

Old 03-06-2011, 10:33 PM
Monte Of The Month - February 2010
10 Year Member

sent PM to the above member, ^^ maybe going to get something cool done up to my Monte....

Old 03-07-2011, 06:50 AM

Monte Of The Month -- January 2011

I have an alpine IVA-D900, it's an older model, but I got it when it was new at the time, also got the Navigation unit....it's a dvd/cd/radio player...

As stated they make the adaptors for the steering wheel controls...which I have and works great.

Also for most dvd units they use to make them stop playing movies when you put the car into drive, for fear of lack of drivers attention to the road, not sure if they still do this, but there is also an adaptor to stop that from happening as well, so dvd's play continuously.

As for brands, I am a big fan of Alpine, and Pioneer....Panasonic isn't bad either....Just my opinion, I love Sony products for the house, but steer clear of them for car audio....but again jmo.

Best of luck in your decision, let us know what you decide on,
Joe

Quick Reply: Head units - help me pick one!