Interior/Audio/Visual Electronics Discuss your audio/visual system and your interior here.

aftermarket Alpine CDE133BT 2002 monte ss

Search this Thread

Old 04-22-2012, 12:50 AM
Default aftermarket Alpine CDE133BT 2002 monte ss

im a bit new around here and just recently bought a 2002 monte carlo ss v6 3.8. I just installed a Alpine CDE133-BT head unit brand new line and bought the GMOS-01 adapter from crutchfield when i purchased the head unit, after wiring the adapter up and checking the connections about 6 times, my speakers will not work with the radio or cd, i even plugged the factory head unit back into place and the speakers worked just fine. Is that the wrong adapter to retain all the chimes and onstar packages??

Im not quite sure as to whether or not this car has the amp that came standard on it or not. I think there is an amp in the trunk, its silver and mounted to the top of the trunk by the speakers and has two plug-ins running into it. I read somewhere that maybe i need the GMOS-04?

If this is pretty vague I've been exhausted from the past two days trying to troubleshoot this myself with no luck. Thanks much.

Old 04-25-2012, 10:23 PM

Yep, you need the gmos-04 because it retains the factory amp, the gmos-01 doesn't. The gmos-01 would be used if you were going to run your speakers off the deck itself.

Old 04-25-2012, 10:40 PM
Monte Of The Month -- September 2010
10 Year Member
5 Year Member3 Year Member1 Year Member

you can go and get the cheap one for chevy at walmart, it works fine

Old 04-26-2012, 10:30 AM

Thanks much. Just got one and everything works, just gotta figure out my subwoofer situation now. Bought Two SSL 10" E10D subwoofers 1200W DVC and i hooked them up to the SSL 2600W 2 channel amp, hooked the subwoofers in parallel

http://.a248.e.akamai.net/pix.crutch..._4-ohm_2ch.jpg

now i feel like they're blown, one wont turn on and i even switched terminals to see if it would turn on and nothing. The other one is blown for sure. Did i have too much load on them or did i just crank em to high right away? I remember my amp would turn off after about 30 mins of use and i would have to turn off my head unit for them to come back on but even then the subs would only come on for a bit.

Any Solutions would be appreciated.

Old 04-30-2012, 04:46 AM

how were your gains? sounds like its going into protect node. cheap amps will do that if not setup properly

Old 05-02-2012, 12:56 PM

i figured out it was my fault, i didnt properly break them in and broke the one the other was just dead.

Old 05-26-2012, 12:52 AM

how did you get the wiring adapter because my stock radio has two plug ins on the back and the adapter only has one for my aftermarket stereo am i missing something or do i have to wire it myself?

Old 05-26-2012, 08:03 AM

Originally Posted by montejohnnyboy
Thanks much. Just got one and everything works, just gotta figure out my subwoofer situation now. Bought Two SSL 10" E10D subwoofers 1200W DVC and i hooked them up to the SSL 2600W 2 channel amp, hooked the subwoofers in parallel

http://.a248.e.akamai.net/pix.crutch..._4-ohm_2ch.jpg

now i feel like they're blown, one wont turn on and i even switched terminals to see if it would turn on and nothing. The other one is blown for sure. Did i have too much load on them or did i just crank em to high right away? I remember my amp would turn off after about 30 mins of use and i would have to turn off my head unit for them to come back on but even then the subs would only come on for a bit.

Any Solutions would be appreciated.
It sounds to me like your amp was going into protect mode, not due to gain setting though but due to impedance. It's highly unlikely that the gain would cause the protect situation, if anything it would just send a clipped signal to your subs. Here's my theory....based on the fact you wired the subs in parallel that tells me your bridged the amp. When wiring DVC subs with 4ohm coils, your final ohm load will be either 4ohms or 1ohm. Bridging your amp and running it at 1ohm will cause the exact problem you noted above because it's not stable at such a low impedance. That amp claims to do 1300w rms @ 4ohms bridged....halving the load roughly doubles the power, running it at 1ohm you halved it TWICE! Whoops. And since those subs are only 600rms subs, if they can even handle that, you blew them by sending them dirty power, too much power and in the process, exceeding their thermal handling capacity.

Originally Posted by montejohnnyboy
i figured out it was my fault, i didnt properly break them in and broke the one the other was just dead.
Didn't break them in huh? Trust me bro, the only time break in is really needed is in high power burp applications, other than that, duck tales.

Originally Posted by Brad
how did you get the wiring adapter because my stock radio has two plug ins on the back and the adapter only has one for my aftermarket stereo am i missing something or do i have to wire it myself?
That black plug is the connection to the factory amp, which you don't want to run if you have an aftermarket deck.

Old 05-26-2012, 11:45 AM

Oh ok so maybe its my wiring harness or something?