Interior/Audio/Visual Electronics Discuss your audio/visual system and your interior here.

84 gage swap

Search this Thread

Old 03-26-2012, 06:24 PM
Default 84 gage swap

Im sure its here someplace but i can't seem to find it .... I have a 84 MC and it had a lite dash. I wanted SS dash so i put one in. I was told the wireinv was the same as a malibu so off i went .... Well not so good i have changed the sending units and all that but i still have a problum. Everything works but the temp and oil. Temp reads cold all the time and the oil gage is peged. Looking at the conecter and the pinout chart i have thay don't match. I have an extra black wire and i have 1plug with 1yellow wire and 1pluk with 2yellow wires. Everything else is ok but im wondering if the malibu and monte are difernt. Eney help on this would be nice ..... Again in sry if im repostin sumtin thats been beat to death .......... Tnx Carl

Old 03-29-2012, 06:28 PM

Ok .... I have been all over the net and got a bunch of differnt awnsers .... So i went to the junkyard a found a 85 that had gages. The car is just a shell but had the wireing in what was left of the dash. I made a map of the plug for the cluster and what i found was the only thing i had to move was the oil wire(tan) and the temp wire(dark green) and add a wire to plug 17 for the tach .... all other wires were in the same spot as the dummy lite cluster. I made the changes and all is well. Everything works dash lites and all. Hell the factory clock in the tach even keeps good time I have seen in some post that the battery won't charge after the swap but i didn't have that happen to me 14.3 at 2500rpm 13.58 at idle. This is how i did the swap and it was the rite way for me .... Good luck with whatever you are working on .........