Interior/Audio/Visual Electronics Discuss your audio/visual system and your interior here.

2 Ohm? 1 Ohm? What?

Search this Thread

Old 07-13-2010, 10:40 AM
3 Year Member
Default 2 Ohm? 1 Ohm? What?

in my 06 SS, I have the basic stereo system, you know, the crappy one. I have a separate amp for it in the trunk, but its not a 6 disc changer. I don't know whats going on. It just sucks.

I've been reading up on subs and what not so I can maybe get some bass out of my system. But I have no idea what I'm looking for. I'm looking for maybe one or two subs for the trunk, and an amp. What kind of subs do I want?

Old 07-13-2010, 10:42 AM
Monte Of The Month -- September 2010
10 Year Member
5 Year Member3 Year Member1 Year Member

i dont understand your first paragraph there, if you want some more bass then just get some subs,i would start with an aftermarket deck tho

Old 07-13-2010, 12:29 PM

You must start with a head unit, then 6 x9’s, and component, or full range speakers for the doors, after that you can get the subs….
For example; I have a Class D-mono (one channel amp) wired to an (2ohm) L5 Solo Baric in parallel to get 1ohm , IIRC. I also, have a four channel to handle other stuff, doors & rear.

Look at the amps, one is strickly for the sub and the other for the mid's and highs...You could start with the sub but it might sound like crap because it will overtake your interior sound. You'll get all bass.

If you r interested I have a new 15 inch L5 for sale. Just like in the pic below...

Last edited by Mac7504; 07-13-2010 at 12:41 PM.
Old 07-13-2010, 12:37 PM

Also, as far as OHMs you need to see if your amps can handle that, some amps cannot handle lower ohm loads, such as 1 ohm. You just need to know what kind of voice coil configuration your subs have, how to wire them, and wire them for an impedance your amp can take.

I can provide all of this if you go with a Solo Baric, not pushing you one wayy or the other but I wouldn't go with any other sub....ever...

Old 07-13-2010, 03:51 PM

Originally Posted by irulesoha
I'm looking for maybe one or two subs for the trunk, and an amp. What kind of subs do I want?
There are a few things to consider here:

Subs come in various voice coil configurations to allow for flexability when wiring them to your amp. Some amps are stable down to 1ohm, others only to 2ohms. If you had an amp that was stable down to 2ohms, buying a pair of DVC 4ohm subs wouldn't do you any good because you could only wire the subs to 4ohms or 1ohm, not 2ohms like you'd need. So in that case you would be better off going with DVC 2ohm subs.

Old 07-13-2010, 04:20 PM
3 Year Member

Oh man, thats confusing stuff. I did not like my electrical engineering class I took a few years ago.

So, does my stock headunit have a certain Ohms to it? Or is it entirely based on my amp and subs?

Old 07-13-2010, 05:10 PM

Ok, ok, lets forget about ohms..hahah. Just get a new head unit first...lol...

Old 07-13-2010, 06:00 PM

Originally Posted by irulesoha
Oh man, thats confusing stuff. I did not like my electrical engineering class I took a few years ago.

So, does my stock headunit have a certain Ohms to it? Or is it entirely based on my amp and subs?
Might be confusing but it would be in your best interest to learn about it or you're gonna be setting yourself up for alot of wasted money and alot of disappointment. Your stock head unit doesn't have an internal amp so the answer is no. But it is hooked up to an external amp, I am under the impression that amp is rated at 2ohms since all of the factory speakers in my car were 2ohms each.

Old 07-14-2010, 09:35 PM

in my 06 SS, I have the basic stereo system, you know, the crappy one. I have a separate amp for it in the trunk, but its not a 6 disc changer. I don't know whats going on. It just sucks.

I've been reading up on subs and what not so I can maybe get some bass out of my system. But I have no idea what I'm looking for. I'm looking for maybe one or two subs for the trunk, and an amp. What kind of subs do I want?
You say "it just sucks", what specifically do you not like about it? If the whole thing isn't loud enough or clean enough for you- then adding subs isn't going to help that. If you're not happy with any of it, then maybe you should start from scratch as said above and just replace everything.

You must start with a head unit, then 6 x9’s, and component, or full range speakers for the doors, after that you can get the subs….
I wouldn't say he "must" start with a new head unit- if the only part he doesn't like is that it doesn't have enough bottom end- then I think its perfectly fine to just add a sub amp and a sub or two. After being so used to having subs, I've got to be where even the high end stock audio systems just don't have enough bottom end since they use such small speakers in most cars.

If you don't understand this, and don't think you can learn- your best bet may be just to go to a local audio shop- tell them what you feel your setup is lacking, and have them recommend products to you. Plus, they can install it too if you don't want to mess with it.

Old 07-15-2010, 01:02 AM

I agree with bumpin96monte here. You need to be more specific with your criticism. If you don't know enough about audio to be able to put your finger on it, then there isn't any way to get around having to bring it to an audio shop. They should understand that everyone starts where you are, and they shouldn't make you feel like an *** for asking questions. As long as you're willing to learn what they tell you, you'll take away with you more knowledge than you could imagine in just a short conversation.