Interior/Audio/Visual Electronics Discuss your audio/visual system and your interior here.

00-05 how to install subs and an amp to your factory head unit

Search this Thread

Old 06-15-2012, 01:16 PM

so my car doesnt have a sunroof but has the power drop under the glove box for it i used that to power my amp and sub woofers 2 hour install been working great the past four days
i only have 2 10's and an 800 watt amp

Old 06-16-2012, 03:16 AM

so when replacing the stock speakers with aftermarket ones can you just cut off the stock wires and wire them to the aftermarket ones if yu allready have a aftermarket deck

Old 06-16-2012, 08:57 AM

I was hooking up my amp to a factory deck and had a constant on to my amp. Which fuse should I connect it to for power that will power down after I turn it off? Or will it take a few mins to power off, ie interior lights.

Thanks.

Last edited by Bait; 06-16-2012 at 11:25 AM.
Old 06-16-2012, 11:24 AM

Originally Posted by Brad
so when replacing the stock speakers with aftermarket ones can you just cut off the stock wires and wire them to the aftermarket ones if yu allready have a aftermarket deck
Yes because the signal is traveling through the wire connected to the head unit. If you cut the wires these work great Posi-Products™ Car Speaker Connectors 8 connectors for installing car speakers at Crutchfield.com and if you do not want to cut the wire's and there isn't much room you can always buy these Speaker Wiring Harnesses For select 1988-up vehicles at Crutchfield.com.

Old 06-17-2012, 10:05 PM

Originally Posted by Bait

I was hooking up my amp to a factory deck and had a constant on to my amp. Which fuse should I connect it to for power that will power down after I turn it off? Or will it take a few mins to power off, ie interior lights.

Thanks.
Thank you trewyn15 for suggesting the Cig/Aux 10 amp fuse. It works great now.

Old 06-24-2012, 09:35 PM

Originally Posted by branhicks
The factory stereo isnt controlled by an accessory wire in the monte. the computer sends a turn on signal each time the dome lights come on so it can ding out of the drivers door speaker. it then sends a turn off signal 10 seconds or so after no door or radio activity. if its really quiet you can hear a hiss in the speakers when the amps on.

The best place ive found to get a remote power signal is the retained power accessory relay in the drivers side fuse block. just pull the relay, find the lead that supplys a voltage, insert the wire then replace the relay. no cutting, spicing, soldering and its really simple. this is the only way ive found that works if you want the amp to stay on with the radio.
i did this on my 87 deville as well. this works great in any car where the radio stays on until the doors opened
Hi..I am having the same problem finding a good source to use for my remote wire. I have a 2004 MC , factory radio, and adding a sub amp. I am going to look for that relay you mentioned. Do you have any tips on where it might be or what it might look like? Thanks for any help you can give me.
cpmcd

Old 06-30-2012, 12:55 AM

The easiest way to connect the amps remote wire is pull the retained power accessory relay located in the driver side fuse panel, stick the wire into one of the contacts and replace the relay. then the amp will stay on until the doors opened.

Old 05-17-2013, 08:39 AM
Talking Bass Limit

Just Curious did you notice the bass would stop at a certain level with the stock radio? or did it get fairly high???

Old 06-12-2013, 08:22 PM

Old thread but I just did this exact set up to my 03 monte. But what I did differently is I ran the Remote wire for the amp straight to the Stock Radio, connected it to the white wire in back of radio and this will turn on/off amp when car turns on/off. Instead of messing around with fuses and toggle switches I found this a lot easier. But thn again to each their own so what ever you feel works best, just an addition

Old 01-31-2014, 06:38 PM

Where did you get the speaker wire from? Did you tap into the other speakers or did you run a new one from the head unit? If you ran another one from the headunit, how so? I thought there were only 4 outputs for the speakers.

Quick Reply: 00-05 how to install subs and an amp to your factory head unit