Interior/Audio/Visual Electronics Discuss your audio/visual system and your interior here.

00-05 how to install subs and an amp to your factory head unit

Search this Thread

Old 07-18-2010, 09:52 PM

Thanks for everyones help it is greatly appreciated!!

Old 07-19-2010, 06:46 PM

Originally Posted by Enzo354
Amazing write up dude, everything there Im completely for (did it in a friends pontiac grand am) Can I add a bit of advice for those scared to drill a hole?
Did you ever add this advice? I'm going to be installing a sub/amp set-up and wondering if there's a way to fish the wire through an existing hole?

Old 04-24-2011, 09:28 PM
Default Where to wire the remote wire

The factory stereo isnt controlled by an accessory wire in the monte. the computer sends a turn on signal each time the dome lights come on so it can ding out of the drivers door speaker. it then sends a turn off signal 10 seconds or so after no door or radio activity. if its really quiet you can hear a hiss in the speakers when the amps on.

The best place ive found to get a remote power signal is the retained power accessory relay in the drivers side fuse block. just pull the relay, find the lead that supplys a voltage, insert the wire then replace the relay. no cutting, spicing, soldering and its really simple. this is the only way ive found that works if you want the amp to stay on with the radio.
i did this on my 87 deville as well. this works great in any car where the radio stays on until the doors opened

Old 04-27-2011, 10:04 PM

I did my sub/amp setup the same way, well just about. I have one suggestion for anyone wanting to do this however. Put a toggle switch in the remote line up by your feet like near the emergency break so that you can turn the subwoofer on and off since you wont have the lineouts like on an aftermarket deck. Also this will help people that cannot find a wire to tap into because simply flipping the toggle off will cut all power flow to the amplifier. Make sure you don't leave it on of course or battery will drain IF you are indeed having wiring problems. I hooked my remote wire up to my speedo/gauges I believe and it shuts off when I turn the key off = success! Hope I added some insight!

Old 06-08-2011, 06:38 PM

Just a quick question. I looked for it all over the internet and could only find websites in foreign languages so my question is...i have an 04 monte carlo ls with a stock sound system. the built in amplifier had what looks to be a connector coming from it it is 2 wires leading up to a clear plastic piece that reads SKOITO on it...it is not hooked up to anything but is coming from the stock amp..also noticed theres lots of electrical tape on some wires...does this mean that could be an aftermarket hookup and if so what for? Just bought the car so i have no clue who would have installed it

Old 10-20-2011, 05:06 PM

So I'm doing this soon and was wondering about the PAC SNI-35. On one side it has two RCA plugs, and on the other side it has six wires (two white, two brown, and two gray). What are those six wires for?

Thanks!

Old 10-31-2011, 04:59 PM

Scratch my last post, I figured it out! however I do have another question. Has anyone tried putting their power wire through the grommet, or do you have to drill a new hole? Everything else seems pretty easy and straight foward, this is my only hangup.

Thanks!
Tyler

Old 10-31-2011, 06:28 PM
Monte Of The Month -- September 2010
10 Year Member
5 Year Member3 Year Member1 Year Member

Originally Posted by my00monte
Scratch my last post, I figured it out! however I do have another question. Has anyone tried putting their power wire through the grommet, or do you have to drill a new hole? Everything else seems pretty easy and straight foward, this is my only hangup.

Thanks!
Tyler
I went under the grommet. you can drill through the hole tho too, in the lower right corner of the grommet.

here: How To Run Sub Wires in 00-05 Monte Carlo-red04montels - YouTube

Crappy video, forgot to turn HD back on and my back was killing me but you get the point ahha

Old 10-31-2011, 09:18 PM

What do you mean by you went "under the grommet?" Like you went outside it? Or you drilled a hole directly below the rubber piece? I'm trying to avoid drilling a hole and maybe bumping into something that could cause some harm or something.

Thanks!
Tyler

Old 02-29-2012, 08:36 PM

i am doing this tomorrow can someone tell me what the two brown wires are for on this line connector cause the instruction say nothing about it at all.....also can i hook up my remote wire to my ignition fuse on drivers side like it is in my 1992 chevy 4x4 .......

Quick Reply: 00-05 how to install subs and an amp to your factory head unit