Headers/Intake/Exhaust Custom Exhaust? New Headers? Need Opinions on Intakes? Discuss making your ride breathe better here.

Who makes the best headers for the 3800 SC now?

Search this Thread

Old 08-11-2010, 10:32 PM
5 Year Member3 Year Member1 Year Member

Originally Posted by silverbullitt
i have pacesetter (1 3/4") been in the car the last 3 years, but if i ever buy another headers again i would do slp or zzp. i don't like the down pipe design on the pacesetter specially if your car is lowered. the down pipe will hit on the power steering line.

I am kinda iffy on the curved downpipe I've seen for the SLP knock-offs such as Speed Daddy and SSAC for that reason too. I have seen the photos over at clubgp and that pipe protruding under the chassis looks too easy to bottom out.

Old 08-11-2010, 11:40 PM

yeah i figured the manifolds where the same seeing as the rest of the exhaust is when stock. if these bolt on i will probably have to look into getting a set. as for no gains? headers are one of the best mods to do on a 3.8 if you're looking for better flow and sound. those are 2 worthwhile gains to me.

Old 08-12-2010, 07:05 AM

I am kinda iffy on the curved downpipe I've seen for the SLP knock-offs such as Speed Daddy and SSAC for that reason too. I have seen the photos over at clubgp and that pipe protruding under the chassis looks too easy to bottom out.
I have the Speed Daddy headers- no issues at all with the downpipe. I actually much prefer it to the stock downpipe setup, since I can remove it much easier.

I've seen the same pictures on ClubGP. Mine isn't anything like that. It's tucked into the chassis pretty well and isn't visible at all when looking at the car.

Old 08-12-2010, 07:33 AM

Originally Posted by 03SS/00GSE/93LX
I have the Speed Daddy headers- no issues at all with the downpipe. I actually much prefer it to the stock downpipe setup, since I can remove it much easier.

I've seen the same pictures on ClubGP. Mine isn't anything like that. It's tucked into the chassis pretty well and isn't visible at all when looking at the car.
Could you do me a big favor and take a head-on shot of you car? So that I can see the clearance of the pipe to the ground? I think that those are a great price (even with the extra work you have to do with them.) but since I am planning on lowering the car, I'd like to know before I go and buy them and have them coated only to have it dented from a ground rub.

thanks!

Old 08-12-2010, 08:09 AM

For sure... I'll try to snap it at lunch today.

Old 08-12-2010, 12:19 PM

Here you go...

Plus the obligatory under hood shot...

As you can see in the pic, the downpipe doesn't stick out at all on my car. That said, I'd hate for you to buy these headers based on my experience and have ground clearance issues. I guess if worst came to worst, you could have a local exhaust shop weld in a new piece where the downpipe "dip" is.

Old 08-12-2010, 05:20 PM

The second part of your post is just ridiculous. I'm not even going to get into it. But you're sooooooooooooo wrong.
I'm not usually one to start up arguments for arguments sake, but please, inform me.

Are the speed daddy headers not SLP knockoffs?

Were the SLP headers not originally designed/tested/marketed on/for L67 based cars?

Has anyone shown significant gains on a N/A engine by just adding a set of headers?

Feel free to prove me wrong on any of these points, but if so I'd really like to see proof (dyno sheets before/after install if you're referring to the gains from headers on an n/a engine).

Old 08-12-2010, 07:35 PM
Monte Of The Month -- February 2012

Alright, I gained 5whp/12wftlb, that's with a bad #5 valve seal and blowby up top, after slapping on a set of PEM's. I don't know what your version of "significant" is but I'd say that's pretty damn good.

Now I don't have access to my first dyno due to the fact that I'm in Iraq and it's on my desktop at home. But you're just going to have to take my word for it. I haven't been to the track in years, but my mid 14s all motor is willing to say that changing from stock manifolds to headers does an NA motor very well.

Now your other points I have no clue about, but you obviously know nothing of NA modding. Myself on the other hand, I've been doing this modding thing with no power adder for quite a few years. I've done several header installs on NA cars, not one of them netted an "insignificant" gain.

Again you're just going to have to take my word on it for these things, maybe someone can chime in with before and after numbers from their header installs as I'm pretty limited on my resources at the moment.

Disclaimer: My engine was terribly modded at the point of PEM install so the numbers won't be the same for every NA engine

My question for you is where's you proof (dyno sheets, track times, etc) that installing headers on an NA car doesn't gain anything? Or are you just saying these things based on what you think is correct?

I will however agree on one thing 1 3/4" primary headers are too large for a lightly modded NA vehicle, the torque loss would pretty much negate the gain. However, slap them on a cammed engine with a set of heads and it's something nice.

Last edited by PacerSS; 08-12-2010 at 07:45 PM. Reason: Disclaimer
Old 08-12-2010, 08:34 PM

I have the DPP's which are similar to all the other SLP knockoffs, and that dip is pretty pronounced; but mine doesn't hang that low; I've never scraped it on anything.

If the dip irritates you that much, or you find you're always scraping it- then just have an exhaust shop cut it out and bend up a new elbow for it.

Old 08-12-2010, 09:48 PM

nm
-Riggs.

Last edited by biggriggs; 08-12-2010 at 09:49 PM. Reason: not worth arguing about

Quick Reply: Who makes the best headers for the 3800 SC now?