Headers/Intake/Exhaust Custom Exhaust? New Headers? Need Opinions on Intakes? Discuss making your ride breathe better here.

What size piping?

Search this Thread

Old 03-14-2007, 03:48 PM
Default What size piping?

Hey again. On my 02 monte ss i currently have aftermarket intake, 3" downpipe w/ high flow cat and ubend delete. I'm also running flowmaster super 40 series w/ the stock piping. Would you guys recommend upgrading the stock piping to something bigger? I'm happy with the sound and performance now but i was wondering if running larger piping would give me better performance as well. I really dont want to get rid of the resonator because i dont want it too loud. Any input on this would be great as well as any ideas on how much this might run me at a local shop. Also, after this i was looking into possibly getting a reprogrammed PCM or just going all out with the power programmer. I kno the programmer would be a better buy but i was wondering if someone w/ no tuning experience whatsoever could pick this up. I kno time and reading would be involved but i have no problem with this. I need a summer project and this sounds like something that would fit perfectly. Thanks in advance guys.

Old 03-14-2007, 04:01 PM
Monte Of The Month -- March 2007
5 Year Member
Default RE: What size piping?

i dont know how much benifit you would gain going with 3" piping...i dont think enough to justify the costs...

i dont think its worth it to do that....

just do a cold air intake if you dont have one...i'm not sure...and the programmer is also a good idea...

i wouldn't advise the 3" piping...

Old 03-14-2007, 05:56 PM

I dont necessarily mean 3" piping just something larger than stock after the cat

Old 03-14-2007, 06:05 PM
Monte Of The Month -- March 2007
5 Year Member

yah, its 2.25 right now..so you could go to 2.5...but i still dont think it would make that much of a huge difference in performance...i'm sure you'd notice it...but weather it would be worth the moola i dont know...

will make it a little noisier too

Old 03-14-2007, 06:48 PM
Monte Of The Month - April 2010 & Sep
5 Year Member3 Year Member1 Year Member

2.5" is the largest that you want to go, untill you start getting into some serious mods. Getting too big of an exhaust for the car will actually loose performace.

Old 03-18-2007, 07:19 AM

ok... its an 02 ss so your not SC. first off i would say your 3"DP was a mistake. 3" DP's are great for SC cars but for a NA car your going to loose Torque. if you havent lost any tq its because the resonators and 2.25 pipeing is creating enough restriction (backpressure) to keep you near the optomal flow for your mods. also, flowmasters arent the best flowing mufflers either... but for 95% of NA motors a full 2.5" system is perfict. but my fear is if you remove the 2.25 and put in 2.5 you will loose tq cause of that 3" dp. i say leave you exhaust the way it is...

as for the programer, i say go for it. it will take a lot of reading and time, but when i started 8-9 months ago i didnt know the first thing about engine tuning. i had done plenty of moding to the car, but was lost when i first saw all that the tuner could do... but after reading and reading i now have a great tune on it.

there are now programs you can down load that will pretty much do all the work for you. just scan a trip around town and then up load a few files and it will export the changes you need to make. really cant ask for much more.