Headers/Intake/Exhaust Custom Exhaust? New Headers? Need Opinions on Intakes? Discuss making your ride breathe better here.

Water Pump problems..Help!

Search this Thread

Old 03-31-2008, 09:45 AM
Default Water Pump problems..Help!

I wanted to know how much it would cost to change a water pump plus labor.. Or if it's the water pump that needs to be replaced.. I had just put in a new thermostat because the temp gauge was reading at 260 degrees & it kept telling me I had low coolent when I had just put some in! Well I looked underneath the car, & it was leaking a little bit every now & again. It would only leak for about an hour or so after I would drive it. Is this a sign that I need a new water pump? It's a 1995 monte carlo so.. Please, anybody get back to me asap so I'm not getting work done for nothing! Thanks.

Old 03-31-2008, 10:17 AM
Default RE: Water Pump problems..Help!

before you do anything, see if you can track down exactly where its coming from, a coolant leak could mean anything from hose to a radiator, but lets hope for the best, if you look at the water pump, like you said it only leaks for about a hour after you drive it, there is litle holes in the pump itself (weep holes), see if its leaking out of that, if it is, then yes, you do need a new pump, but an easier way to find out if its something else, go to any auto parts store that rents tools, and see if they have a cooling system pressure tester, hook it to the coolant fill and on the cap it should tell you how much pressure to put in the system, if you put to much pressure you will probably start a leak that you didn't want to happen, since the motors are transverse seeing the water pump could be a pain, but the pressure tester should narrow it down, about a year ago i had a water pump replaced in a 97' taurus, and the motors are mounted the same and with the parts and the labor, its came out to be about 480 bucks, but see what you can do yourself before making a mistake, who knows, it could just be a cracked hose, good luck, tell me how you end up. if you need anymore help, just let me know.